No announcement yet.

dime in GW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No man, I just subscribed a month ago instead of buying it off the newstand like a dipshit.
    I'm gonna eat your brains and gain your knowledge.

http://cdwillis.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by lerxstcat View Post
      You know, we lost an artist we liked. Rita lost the love of her life and Vinnie lost his brother. They're entitled to resent Phil even though he didn't directly cause Dime's death.

But when she says Phil caused the demise of Pantera, she's absolutely right. When she says if not for the demise of Pantera, dime would've been playing arenas instead of little dive bars, she's right about that too.

So when she says Phil put Dime into a position to be shot on a stage in a shithole bar, she is correct about that.

Nathan Gale was the shooter, but the demise of Pantera was what set him off. and he apparently identified with Phil, since he blamed dime for the breakup and seemed to think that he wrote Pantera's lyrics.

We will never know if Phil's Metal Hammer interview inspired Gale to kill Dime. The timing was sure fucked up though, considering the things he said about hurting and killing Dime, and that his (Phil's) fans would do whatever he told them to do.

Since we don't know that, we can't blame Phil. If it was known that Nathan Gale killed Dime because of Phil's interview though, then Phil would indeed hold some blame for inciting the guy. Phil has some volatile fans, to say the least.

So with all of that, I don't blame Rita or Vinnie in the least for the way they see it. They have a right to resent Phil for life for the things we know he did and said.
      To me, you have by far the most reasonable opinion when it comes to the subject. I personally believe Phil was behind the murder of Pantera, somehow, somewhere, I'm entitled to my own opinion. You at least look at it on both ends. I personally don't understand why someone would go after the guitarist of a band, rather than the bands main front man and a very opinionated, loud, and voiced front man. Phil wasn't some dude that would hide in the shadows about HIS lyrics, he felt very passionate about his lyrics, and it's just hard for me to grasp that Nathan would want to kill Dime and Vin, over Phil and Rex.

I do believe though that if Pantera hadn't have broken up, and that interview with Phil never happened, Dime would still be alive today. People want to argue "Well you can say if dime didn't play dean then bla bla bla he wouldn't be dead!!" or "if he didn't meet phil and bla bla he wouldn't be dead". That's aside the point and just trying to stray way offtopic to prove a point (a very bad one).

The facts are clear:
      Pantera = No Damageplan = No onstage murder.
      Damageplan = Dime's death.

No one knows if Dime would have taken other routes with the musicians he was influenced by, the guitar he played, the people he talked to.. All of that was inevitable, the fact is....Dime died in a band that he made because of the break up of Pantera..

That's my two cents...
      Originally posted by horns666
      The only thing I choke during sex is, my chicken..especially when I wanna glaze my wife's buns.

Comment

Dime died because some psycho with a gun shot him. Security at the club would be the main one to blame, not Phil. I've been to shows at small venues (or shitholes, as Rita calls them) where the security is much more strict than security at large venues, even going as far as making you remove your belt buckle if it's too big.
        If you watch the Pantera home videos, fans were often let up on stage (at non-shitholes), and if security tried to intervene or got rough with a fan, Phil would tell security to back off. Perhaps Damageplan had the same policy of having the bouncers take it easy, who knows? Still no excuse to not pat guys down at the door.
        So if this psycho Nathan Gale really wanted to kill Dime (for stealing his songs as it's been reported, not because of something Phil said in an interview), it could've happened with Dime still playing with Pantera in a larger venue, with Phil alongside him. Just my opinion.
        Last edited by drockilles; 01-17-2008, 08:34 AM.
        EAOS: 28JUN09

Comment

Originally posted by drockilles View Post
          Dime died because some psycho with a gun shot him. Security at the club would be the main one to blame, not Phil. I've been to shows at small venues (or shitholes, as Rita calls them) where the security is much more strict than security at large venues, even going as far as making you remove your belt buckle if it's too big.
          If you watch the Pantera home videos, fans were often let up on stage (at non-shitholes), and if security tried to intervene or got rough with a fan, Phil would tell security to back off. Perhaps Damageplan had the same policy of having the bouncers take it easy, who knows? Still no excuse to not pat guys down at the door.
          So if this psycho Nathan Gale really wanted to kill Dime (for stealing his songs as it's been reported, not because of something Phil said in an interview), it could've happened with Dime still playing with Pantera in a larger venue, with Phil alongside him. Just my opinion.
          The problem with your theory is that I have never heard of anyone getting shot in an arena, wheras people get shot in bars every day. Maybe Dime's shooting is the first major rock star, but bar shootings are just about a daily occurrence in America.

As for Nathan Gale, he apparently identified with Phil Anselmo since he envisioned himself writing those lyrics according to people he knew. Those people also said he blamed Dime for the breakup of Pantera.

Whether he read the Metal Hammer interview we don't know and I guess we never will. But Phil's words in that interview are at best a very ugly coincidence; at worst they were an incitement to a psycho to kill Dime, as Phil said: "My fans will do anything I say. Anything."

He also said, "Dime needs to be beaten down", and "I could kill him... like a vapor".

You take those statements appearing 2 weeks before Dime was gunned down by a fan who took Phil's side of the split, and that's reason enough for Dime's family at least to never forgive the guy.

The people who absolve Phil are people who simply like his music, so they refuse to admit that he MIGHT have had a role in inciting Nathan Gale. It's not a role he can be legally held accountable for, but IF his big mouth cost Dime his life because a psycho fan thought Phil put a fatwa on Dime, then morally he deserves to feel guilty and be ostracized by his old friends.

I guess if you like Tripp Eisen you think it's okay to fuck 13-year-olds too, huh?
          Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by lerxstcat View Post

I guess if you like Tripp Eisen you think it's okay to fuck 13-year-olds too, huh?
            Yeah, as long as they don't have braces. Fuck it, I'm off to ride a tiger 'cause Dio told me to.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacksons Shred View Post
              The facts are clear:

That's my two cents...
              Kevin Bacon,

Comment

Meh it is up to Vinnie and Rita to feel what they want about it. It isn't logical or healthy for them to feel that way but I mean come on how close was Dime to them? The anger of the situation has to go somewhere and Phil has made himself an easy target. If it helps them cope so be it.
                I keep the bible in a pool of blood
                So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

Yeah, I can see that. The textbook "volatile reactions" stage of grief. I'm sure Dime wouldn't want this shit. It's been said many times he left Phil in his past and moved on. I believe the message was "no longer will you (phil) trample through my peaceful mind". Hopefully Rita will be able to do the same some day.

Comment

Originally posted by drockilles View Post
                    Yeah, as long as they don't have braces. Fuck it, I'm off to ride a tiger 'cause Dio told me to.
                    :ROTF::ROTF::ROTF::ROTF::ROTF::ROTF:
                    "Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. ":JOSEY WALES

Comment

The facts are clear:
                      These are simply not facts...these are opinions. Facts <> Opinions. Everyone is welcome to believe what they want, but that doesn't change opinions to facts.

Comment

Originally posted by livebiz View Post
                        These are simply not facts...these are opinions. Facts <> Opinions. Everyone is welcome to believe what they want, but that doesn't change opinions to facts.
                        Okay, so if Pantera hadn't disbanded, Dime and Vinnie would have just said "Fuck it, let's form a shitty Pantera rip off band so we can start from scratch, try to get famous again, and just start playing shitty bars instead of stadiums."

I'm pretty sure it's a fact that they wouldn't have..
                        Originally posted by horns666
                        The only thing I choke during sex is, my chicken..especially when I wanna glaze my wife's buns.

Comment

Okay, so if Pantera hadn't disbanded, Dime and Vinnie would have just said "Fuck it, let's form a shitty Pantera rip off band so we can start from scratch, try to get famous again, and just start playing shitty bars instead of stadiums."

I'm pretty sure it's a fact that they wouldn't have..
                          a fact doesn't have any words like "would" or "wouldn't"
                          "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

I grabbed a copy while I was at the store this morning. I haven't been subscribed to guitar world since forever ago. But its all the same ya know? I've got issues that repeat the same stuff it seems. But hey nothing is new under the sun.

I'm a Dime fan all the way! But I mean people feel, and tend to express it. Theres not a thing wrong with that either.

Can't really point blame at anybody, hell if we never heard of Dime he would be another Curtis Lowe in the clay. And there sure wouldn't be an article about it.

Best thing to do is let it all go and remember him for the music that he made.

Cause everybody has their time coming.

Comment

Working...
                            X