Random question: immigrant song tablature

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random question: immigrant song tablature

Can anyone tell me the strange chord Page plays at the end of the song, the one alternating every other riff. I can't figure it out, I think I'm retarded.

the tab I found puts this funky chord as 3x033x.
    not sure what chord that works out to exactly, but it has a base of G (then maybe some kind of D seventh?).

here's the linky
    the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Originally posted by skorb View Post
      the tab I found puts this funky chord as 3x033x.
      That's G-D-Bb-D, so it's a G minor.
      Courtesy, Integrity, Self-control, Perseverance, Indomitable Spirit

Comment

yea, that shape is just using the open D string for the 5th of the chord, and loses the octave as a result.
        Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
          yea, that shape is just using the open D string for the 5th of the chord, and loses the octave as a result.
          you know, this is the kind of shit I wish I knew more of.
          I know about 5ths and 7ths and all that, but I can't always tell when I'm looking at one. generally I can tell when I'm playing one, but not always.

would this be considered "theory?"

Comment

I don't know much

But if you took that open D and played it on the 5th string instead, it would be at the 5th fret. Add the octave to the 6th string root (G) note (2 string over, 2 frets up), and you finger the 5th fret on the 4th string. Now the chord looks like this:

35533x

looks like a G minor barre chord to me.

the open D string in the shape you posted acts as a drone to give that "sitar-y" kind of sound, but otherwise the notes are the same
            Hail yesterday

Comment

cool

Comment

My band performs this; I'll have to add this chord.
                "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Dark Angel did a great cover of this back in the '80s, on the Leave Scars album!
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                  X