anybody knowledgeable on antiques??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anybody knowledgeable on antiques??

just picked up a big old bible dated 1850 at a car boot sale (it's a bit tatty and stained) for £12. i've looked around on the net for some info on it and i can only find one reference to it on the web after hours of searching, heres the link....

are they realy worth that much?
    how much does the condition decrease the value?
    can it be restored and is it worth doing it?

any advice is welcome.
    yeah it was me, you got a problem with that?

That sounds really cool, I'd love to see it.

I can't actually help you though

Comment

what a find you should make a good profit on the resale
      Jackson KV2T Black Ghost Flames with EMG's

Comment

You're better off talking to a dedicated antique dealer that specializes in books and their restoration. Also worth remembering that the price you see is the retail price, not the price that the dealer is likely to give to you for it.
        Good luck and nice find!
        Fwopping, you know you want to!

VI VI VI: the editor of the Beast!

There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary. Those who do and those who don't.

Comment

Condition is everything. A book can be rare, old or both but there is a gigantic difference in value based on condition. It's just like guitars. $24 is a good price regardless of the condition, I would think.
          I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

After 2 days ill in bed I think I should be an expert on antiques. All that is on daytime telly is Bargain Cunt, Flog It, Antiques Challenge etc etc. It's doing my loaf in.
            So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

The key to asking price is in the description. This particular copy is special because it was painted on by this Beer guy and is in good condition. The price is probably based on auction records of other Beer fore-edge painted & signed books modified by comparative condition.

Bibles are usually high volume printings and common as dirt. They are usually not worth anything.

Description: . With a wonderful fore-edge painting SIGNED by John T. Beer of "Boaz and Ruth." [Modern cloth box uses "Leah" for Ruth]. PROVENANCE: Beer Library Sale, Nov. 12-14, 1903, lot 264, buyer: Lupton, bookseller. Nicholas & Elizabeth Ann Walsh, 1856 (leather bookplate). Inscribed with the birthdates of their four children (1858, 1860, 1862, 1864). — Unknown institutional number applied to verso of title: 095/10342 [after 1903]. Weber-Beer 65. Douay Bible. Two volumes in one. Quarto. Frontis (for vol. II) torn. Numerous full page engraved plates. Original full green calf; neatly rebacked with gilt-stamped raised bands. Binding is hardcover. Bookseller Inventory # FF094

Comment

Working...
              X