Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What food is associated with your country?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What food is associated with your country?

So I'm bored again.

What food do you associate with your country or region?

In Canada we don't really have a country-wide thing. I guess many people would say Canadian bacon, but we really hardly ever eat it, and in fact, we call it back-bacon anyway.

Since I'm actually English anyway, I'll say that with England, it's fish & chips, trifle for dessert, and a pint of bitter.
    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Here in America it's either Mexican or Italian...

Oh the irony...
    I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

You forgot Maple Syrup and Poutine! Not together of course, that would just be wrong.

Here in Winnipeg we have a few local faves that we are sort of renown for.

Alycia's Periogies are super popular. John Candy used to have them flown to him in California one a month.

Salsbury House restaurants are a local staple since the '50's. Burton Cummings bought a share of the company a few years ago. They make excellent diner-style food. They have these little burgers they call "nips" that are awesome. If you come to Winnipeg, you have to go to Sal's at least once.
      THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Comment

It's not even Turkish food, but Turkey's associated with kebab,somehow.Just like Bengal's example.
        I wish my hair-color was EDS :/

Comment

Texas Barbeque and Tex-Mex, umm yum. This post is making me hungry
          Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Supposedly the most popular dish in Britain is now the Chicken Tikka Masala. Which is kinda cool, ethnic diversity and all that. However, my part of the UK is usually associated with clotted cream and cider. (Not necessarily in the same glass)

Comment

Actually, America is associated with the Hamburger, thanks to the worldwide proliferation of McDonald's, or the Hot Dog (commonly found at baseball games). I guess we're fairly well-known for pizza, even if it's noting more than the unlimited variations of it.

Fried chicken (KFC), barbecued beef or pork, meat cooked on a metal grill over an open flame, or on a spit in a pit.

Speaking of McDonald's, thanks for not doing your part to stop the worldwide domination of McDonald's. Really, I appreciate it. It makes me all warm and fuzzy to know that no matter where I go in the world, no matter how many different cultures I may encounter, I can always find a McDonald's to avoid, and a wannabe gangsta to go with it.

Here's a tip for everyone outside America: if it's associated with welfare junkies and rap in America, storm your local Government agencies to block it from corrupting your country like it has ours.

Save yourselves from the hell we wallow in.
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Snoogans View Post
                Supposedly the most popular dish in Britain is now the Chicken Tikka Masala. Which is kinda cool, ethnic diversity and all that. However, my part of the UK is usually associated with clotted cream and cider. (Not necessarily in the same glass)
                Hehe, I came to Canada back in 1982. That was right before chicken vindaloo became the national dish of England. :ROTF:
                Last edited by zeegler; 01-28-2008, 09:48 AM.

Comment

Actually around here (southeast Ontario) I'd say chicken wings are one of the most popular foods especially at bars. That's probably because we're so close to Buffalo.

Comment

Definitely burgers and fries for the U.S.

fish and chips for England
                    haggis for Scotland
                    Guiness/potatoes for Ireland
                    baguette/wine for France
                    beer and pretzels for Germany
                    chocolate for Switzerland
                    pasta for Italy
                    curry for India
                    sushi for Japan
                    tacos/burritos for Mexico
                    Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal View Post
                      Here in America it's either Mexican or Italian...

Oh the irony...
                      We also eat lots of "crow."
                      "POOP"

Comment

Originally posted by Nuclear Vampire View Post
                        You forgot Maple Syrup and Poutine!
                        I'm from VT and we are big on Maple Syrup and Cheese. Since I live close to the border I make the trip to Canada pretty frequently. I first had Poutine there when I was about 15 or so and damn I gotta say that stuff is killer.

Comment

I believe the eggplant is worshiped in Italy...mine would be!!

I think
                          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

pizza, burgers, chicken fried steak, tacos and burritos

Comment

The USA is known for eating French Fries

Comment

Working...
                              X