Plane on a conveyor belt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plane on a conveyor belt

Remember that short and civil thread? Mythbusters is going to take that one on:

http://dsc.discovery.com/video/?play...eId=1344511100

My vote is it will fly......

It will fly.
    The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Comment

I don't know how it will generate lift, but it should be cool to watch!
      Courtesy, Integrity, Self-control, Perseverance, Indomitable Spirit

Comment

Isn't this where the airplane is still while the conveyor moves underneath it?

If that's the case, the airplane will not fly. Planes fly by moving air over the wings. If the wings are stationary in airflow, there's no lift being generated and it'll stay on the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by Shotgun View Post
          It will fly.
          Originally posted by JacksonDean View Post
          Isn't this where the airplane is still while the conveyor moves underneath it?

If that's the case, the airplane will not fly. Planes fly by moving air over the wings. If the wings are stationary in airflow, there's no lift being generated and it'll stay on the ground.
          PLEASE LORD,

Don't let this discussion happen again, it got ugly last time.:ROTF::ROTF:

Let's all just watch the show and see what happens.
          Come and get one in the yarbles, if you have any yarbles, you yunick jelly thou!

Comment

It will fly, plain and simple.
            Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

It will.

To every reacting there is an equal and opposite reaction.

Freewheeling, the belt (reaction) will be countered by the wheels turning (opposite and equal reaction)

Then apply thrust...and off you go.

In theory...

Comment

LOL, it will not fly. JacksonDean is absolutely right.
                As long as there is no flow of air over the wings = zero lift = no flight. The end.

The plane is not going to care about how fast its wheels are turning in whatever direction, as long as there is no air flow. Only if you did it in an enclosed wind tunnel, you'd have a chance to make it work.

Comment

Won't fly.

Comment

Engines put out thrust = plane moves forward = lift created = takeoff.

The wheels offer little drag... the FORWARD thrust comes from the ENGINES, not the wheels. The plane will take off.
                    Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Originally posted by VinceV View Post
                      PLEASE LORD,

Don't let this discussion happen again, it got ugly last time.:ROTF::ROTF:

Let's all just watch the show and see what happens.
                      I'm with you Vince...please let it stop now!

Comment

Originally posted by RobRR View Post
                        Engines put out thrust = plane moves forward = lift created = takeoff.
                        But the plane does not move forward. It's on a conveyor belt, remember?
                        There will be no air flow over the wings, save for the miniscule amount created by the prop - and it is my guess it will not be nearly enough to do anything.

Comment

Rob,
                          But the "thrust" is being provided by the belt, right? If that's the case, there will be no air movement over the wing and it won't fly...

I have not watched the vid yet. So I may be off on this...

But if it's just on a belt moving the wheels, it won't fly...

But if you use thrust from the engines, that kinda makes the study moot, doesn't it? The plane will thrust itself off the belt, voiding the belts purpose...
                          I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

lmao.. this was one of the best topics ever in JCF history
                            "I hate these filthy neutrals! With enemies, you know where they stand. But with neutrals... who knows? It sickens me!"

Comment

Wednesday night night, I'll have popcorn ready
                              Courtesy, Integrity, Self-control, Perseverance, Indomitable Spirit

Comment

Working...
                              X