No announcement yet.

Plane on a conveyor belt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• But we were saying that from the beginning... noone wanted to listen to us! Maybe theyll learn now...
    Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

• They still didn't say what speed and distance the plane needed to take off when it was on the "belt". Without it, it was 25mph. If he had to accelerate to 50mph on the "belt", than this proved nothing. I was disappointed with their lack of detail on the stats.

Just sayin'...

Comment

• Well? Come on now. Tons of people were on the other side not 2 hours ago. Where are you?

I would also ask why this topic is debated with such heat? It's only a fuckin' airplane. They didn't cure cancer...

But I would come in here and admit I was wrong...

If I was...
        I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

• Ralph,
          They said the speed to take off was 35mph. I'm pretty sure they said the distance too, I just don't remember the number...

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph E. View Post
            They still didn't say what speed and distance the plane needed to take off when it was on the "belt". Without it, it was 25mph. If he had to accelerate to 50mph on the "belt", than this proved nothing. I was disappointed with their lack of detail on the stats.

Just sayin'...
            They always have lack of detail...

I'll have to see it, but w/e.

^To whoever who flamed me->Was I supposed to have my flame suit on? I wasn't expecting a flame war. Somewhat immature, on a stupid topic...that I "somehow" got wrong. How exactly does thrust make a plane fly?

Comment

• That was a cool myth anyway. I had everyone around my house talking about it all day, and we were all wrong apparently...

Comment

• Originally posted by JACKS0NESP View Post
                They always have lack of detail...

I'll have to see it, but w/e.

^To whoever who flamed me->Was I supposed to have my flame suit on? I wasn't expecting a flame war. Somewhat immature, on a stupid topic...that I "somehow" got wrong. How exactly does thrust make a plane fly?
                As immature as this comment?

"I guess there are a lot of stupid people on this planet."

I'm guessing that's where the flames came from...

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph E. View Post
                  They still didn't say what speed and distance the plane needed to take off when it was on the "belt". Without it, it was 25mph. If he had to accelerate to 50mph on the "belt", than this proved nothing. I was disappointed with their lack of detail on the stats.

Just sayin'...
                  Well, I would have to take away that comment now, wouldn't I? :P

I still can't believe it....someone has to show me the physics. Maybe they had a BIG fan?

Lets just drop it, deal?

Comment

Last edited by texasfury; 01-16-2012, 06:25 PM.
                    Just a guitar player...

Comment

I still can't believe it....someone has to show me the physics. Maybe they had a BIG fan?

Lets just drop it, deal?
                      You still don't get it?

If you understand physics, and the principles behind thrust, lift, and negative and postive pressures acting against a wing, it's very simple.
                      Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

• Originally posted by Bengal View Post
                        As immature as this comment?

"I guess there are a lot of stupid people on this planet."

I'm guessing that's where the flames came from...
                        +1

That was the first time in the whole thread anybody called someone on the other side of the debate stupid. Nobody here is stupid. It takes a while to get past thinking that a plane will behave like a car on the conveyor, that's all.
                        Last edited by dg; 01-30-2008, 10:57 PM.

Comment

^To whoever who flamed me->Was I supposed to have my flame suit on? I wasn't expecting a flame war. Somewhat immature, on a stupid topic...that I "somehow" got wrong.
                          for fuck's sake, take it like a man. life's tough, but it's tougher when you're STUPID!
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

• ^^^
                            Thrust is in horizontal direction, is it not? If it is partially vertical, I could maybe see some effect on lift.

Better yet, someone get a diagram and post it for us n00bs who didn't get this right.

Comment

Lets just drop it, deal?
                              You still don't get it?

If you understand physics, and the principles behind thrust, lift, and negative and postive pressures acting against a wing, it's very simple. You're getting too hung up on the treadmill, which actually does nothing. An airplane moves forward by pushing against the air behind it, not by applying power to the wheels that in turn act against the ground or in this case, a treadmill. All the treadmill accomplishes, is rolling the wheels underneath the plane, and as several people have mentioned, this would cause very little drag to prevent the plane from moving. The propulsion system, whether it be a jet or prop, will still exert the same force against the air behind it (not the treadmill) and will move forward.

I don't even see the point discussing this any more. You either get it or you don't.
                              Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

• So, it doesn't take too much lift to actually lift the airplane off the ground at this point, I take it....I'll have to see the vid to see how much speed they were able to get, but it doesn't sound like much..

Comment

Working...
                                X