No announcement yet.

Inflation. WTF? Food Prices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

commodity prices have been rising steeply in the last few years and this effect affects everything but with grocery prices there was a build in delay; most supermarketchains have annual contracts fixing the prices for that particular year or even a bit longer but finally prices coming more in line with the worldmarket increases on commodities.

Ofcourse the fact that the USD is decreasing in value does not help either and what Axewhielder already stated, the ethonal production which is from a yield perspective more interesting for farmers does affect the growing of crop for foodstuff which leads to shortage and thus price increases

Comment

I haven't really noticed our grocery bill go up in the past few years. We go about once a month and completely stock the kitchen and spend about $150. That's for two people. Buying in bulk really helps (i.e. big giant pack of chicken breasts, restaurant size Bisquick, etc.) I can't remember the last time we had to buy toilet paper. We're still working through our 36-roll pack.

It's all related to fuel costs. It costs more to drive the delivery truck so those costs get passed on to the consumer. I can't wait for the plug-in hybrids to come out (i.e. Chevy Volt, etc.).

I was talking with my dad about this and he wants to raise gas prices to $6 a gallon and pump the extra money into alternative fuel research. I bet we'd see the small to mid-size SUV market disappear pretty quickly.

That brings up something else. Why are people so happy when their cars get more than 20 mpg? My car is 4 years old and gets almost 40mpg.
      Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
        That brings up something else. Why are people so happy when their cars get more than 20 mpg? My car is 4 years old and gets almost 40mpg.
        Damn good question. GMC is making a big splash about that Yukon hybrid SUV, and all it gets is 20 mpg. Big friggin deal.

Comment

The fuel crunch in general is causing alot of it. Many farmers are switching to growing corn for ethenol production. That and America really does import alot of food from China. With fuel costs going up getting that food here is getting costly. It will be very interesting to see what the hard winter China has had will do to costs in the coming year.

Comment

Welcome to planet Earth.

I shop at 3 different stores: Trader Joe's, Whole Foods and a local market. Each store has items they discount and others that really gouge the consumer. Since I won't eat crappy meat and vegetables, this is the only way I've found to make ends meet and still eat well. If I buy all my items at any one of these places, it really hurts.

Comment

I'm not so proud that I can't cut out a minor flaw in a veggie. People pay for perfect food. But, I don't.
              I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                Damn good question. GMC is making a big splash about that Yukon hybrid SUV, and all it gets is 20 mpg. Big friggin deal.
                First off, it's 21 CITY and 22 HWY (get it right )
                Second, that city # represents a 50% increase over the regular engined SUVs.

Third, the truck can haul the same amount of cargo.

For people who have lots of people and/or cargo to move, that represents a good chunk of change.

Fourth, there were 3 different manufacturers all working together on this technology. GM, Chrysler & Mercedes I believe. That's kind of a big deal.

http://www.chevrolet.com/hybrid/inde...008.SWF_HYBRID
                "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

And 5th. Just buy a van like mine.:ROTF: I don't care about the mileage. Having a cool ride is worth the cost. Just watch Cribs.

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
                    First off, it's 21 CITY and 22 HWY (get it right )
                    Second, that city # represents a 50% increase over the regular engined SUVs.

Third, the truck can haul the same amount of cargo.

For people who have lots of people and/or cargo to move, that represents a good chunk of change.

Fourth, there were 3 different manufacturers all working together on this technology. GM, Chrysler & Mercedes I believe. That's kind of a big deal.

http://www.chevrolet.com/hybrid/inde...008.SWF_HYBRID
                    Good points here, I'm just a little frustrated with the lack of real progress. I've read these scientific articles where they talk about how less than 1% of the energy in gas actually goes towards propelling the driver, while the rest goes towards overhead (heat, friction, etc). What's up with that?

Comment

The days of 10 for 10 are over. Yeah. You might catch a few. I'm not sure if it is the Mormon in my family, they suggest a 6 month stockpile of non-perishable (sp) food, but when I see a chance to stock up I hit it. Who thinks food prices are heading down?

Comment

Working...
                      X