Just showed my class doc. on Black Metal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just showed my class doc. on Black Metal

I teach a couple sections of intro. sociology at PSU. I decided to show my class "Metal: A Headbanger's Journey" to illustrate the concepts sub-culture and counter-culture. I let them watch the scene of Wacken and then the Black Metal documentary on the bonus dvd. Not sure they liked it.

Am I old?
    Last edited by Thrust; 02-04-2008, 11:51 AM.

they prolly didn't get it, at all. i teach and unless it is centered around pop culture, the kids do NOT understand and cannot make a correlation. it is sad and pathetic.
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Thrust View Post
      I teach a couple sections of intro. sociology at PSU. I decided to show my class "Metal: A Headbanger's Journey" to illustrate the concepts sub-culture and counter-culture. I let them watch the scene of Wacken and then the Black Metal documentary on the bonus dvd. Not sure they liked it.

Am I old?
      I think you need to have certain courses under your belt to be able to understand the concepts related to a subculture. It might have been a bit premature. So, to answer your question, no you're not old
      Last edited by levantin; 02-04-2008, 12:01 PM.
      I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Comment

Originally posted by levantin View Post
        I think you need to have certain courses under your belt to be able to understand the concepts related to a subculture. It might have been a bit premature. So, to answer your question, no you're not old
        We're actually covering these topics in class right now. They should have the basic knowledge to at least make an association or be able to understand the concepts in a given context. If not, there's something wrong with the way I'm presenting the material. That said, it could have been premature but our recent discussion of gestures, symbols, and a whole host of things associated with culture were readily apparent (even mentioned by name) in the film.

Originally posted by markd
        they prolly didn't get it, at all. i teach and unless it is centered around pop culture, the kids do NOT understand and cannot make a correlation. it is sad and pathetic.
        I'm reading into their reaction a bit, but it's a general atmosphere of disinterest. I'm not "old" by age (30 years old), but I recall watching some really shitty films in undergrad, however, I tried to become engaged and understand what/why they were being presented. I thought, perhaps naively, that this would be somewhat relevant for that age group (18-23) to relate. Damn. . .

I'd never impose my likes/dislikes on my courses, but I have a bit of sociological knowledge about metal. Oh well . . .

Comment

3 words. Hip Hop. And the demise of MTV.:ROTF: I have a BA in Soc so I know what I am talking about?:ROTF:
          I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

"Metal: A Headbanger's Journey" ..I actually enjoyed that program.

Fett is right..I predict a huge hip hop revival ..all things hip hop wihtout a trace of guitar to be heard. I call that the Clinton era, and the sequal will be coming soon!
            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I doubt it, because that would be the first time that a commercial genre was able to revive itself...
              -Adam

Comment

Originally posted by anuske9 View Post
                I doubt it, because that would be the first time that a commercial genre was able to revive itself...
                I hope your right..I mean no disrespect to those who need their rap...but I certainly don't!

I think times are different..Kids finally learned what it means to "rock", and it is the Myspace era. Kids rely less on mainstream and doing their own thing in their own circles..which is good...I guess.

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                  Fett is right..I predict a huge hip hop revival ..all things hip hop wihtout a trace of guitar to be heard. I call that the Clinton era, and the sequal will be coming soon!

I was unaware that hip hop had died? I still hear it vibrating my windows whenever a kid drives by with his stupid horn blower exhaust rice burner POS cars.

Comment

Well, some girl's cell phone went off and it was a Nickleback song....so....er..maybe that's good.

er...maybe not........lol

Comment

Originally posted by Trem View Post
                      I was unaware that hip hop had died? I still hear it vibrating my windows whenever a kid drives by with his stupid horn blower exhaust rice burner POS cars.

Well it didn't "die" and it won't because there will always be a fanbase for that. BUT BUT BUT..the playing field is much more level..with these crazy kids with their screamo-emo core..dressed in black sporting Slayer T shirts..ya see what I'm saying.

Funny thing is.. any stragglin' wigger throwback posers look more ridiculous than ever...but that was the look in the 90's!!!

Everyone under the age of 25 dressed like Ali G in the 90's , I always laughed at them, now, I completely lose it everytime..I make it obvious too..I point and crack the fuck up..

Now there's something for everyone and I like that..remember the days , not long ago..you could NOT find a metal video anywhere. When every kid thought Iron Maiden was completely gay!!!!
                      Last edited by horns666; 02-04-2008, 03:35 PM. Reason: Fuggums..

Comment

Originally posted by Thrust View Post

Am I old?
                        Yup and other nations who are passing us teach there students about engineering and technology haha. Our stupid kids end up with Hip Hop and Asian lesbian poetry degrees. No wonder we are losing :ROTF:

Comment

I didn't say Hip Hop died. Although I wouldn't miss it.:ROTF: WTF? He's teaching Sociology. The last time I checked, that is the study of how and why people do what they do in the context of the society.
                          Last edited by fett; 02-04-2008, 04:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by yard dawg View Post
                            Yup and other nations who are passing us teach there students about engineering and technology haha. Our stupid kids end up with Hip Hop and Asian lesbian poetry degrees. No wonder we are losing :ROTF:
                            Ouch! Apparently there passing us on English composition too. :ROTF:

Comment

I always hated it in college when a history or soc prof would correct a paper and throw in a lot of corrections on grammatical errors.:ROTF:

Comment

Working...
                              X