What is a must in a guitar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is a must in a guitar?

Inazone made a post in the rr24 thread about how he doesn't like it because it has MOTO inlays. This got me thinking about what really matters in a guitar.

What are everyone's thoughts? Personally as long as the guitar is comfortable to play, has a nice strong tone, and is well made, I couldn't care less what materials it was made out of, or what "extras" it has.

So for me, tone+playability+quality > fancy woods, nice flame/quilt/paint, inlay shape/material

Don't get me wrong, those extras are nice, but if it's going to drive the price up, then leave them off.
    Scott

Build quality. If its the best built, playing, and sounding guitar in word, I don't give a crap what it looks like. Appearance is very low on the list for me, and is simply a plus in a guitar, rather than anything near a deciding factor.

Comment

Sound. I don't care about inlays, binding, rosewood vs. ebony, bolt on vs. neckthrough. If it sounds good it is good.
      I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Comment

sound 1st. playbility second.
        Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

how loud it is acoustically is something that i look for, but don't always make buying decisions on. it's a good sign when the guitar is resonant before you plug it in.

sully
          Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
          Sully Guitars on Facebook
          Sully Guitars on Google+
          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by sully View Post
            how loud it is acoustically is something that i look for, but don't always make buying decisions on. it's a good sign when the guitar is resonant before you plug it in.

sully
            I agree. If I am buying and have the opportunity to play the guitar before I purchase, I ALWAYS play it first w/o plugging in. I have bought most of my guitars this way.
            MakeAJazzNoiseHere: You kidding me? I'd suck her fartbox dry in a heartbeat. 9/29/2011 quote about Megan Fox

Comment

The feel is 1st to me. If I cant play it comfortably then I cant make it sound good. Tone is next. Its got to sound great to my ears. Next is price then looks. Looks is last .

Comment

tone and playability, how the neck feels, how comfortable it plays on the body, and construction are all up there for me. tuning stabiity too. tho usually these days i don't touch lower end guitars, i go straight for the US and Jap models. looks matter in some respects, but not past the paintjob and the colour. don't care about inlays. one thing i love about my fender is the way it vibrates. u can put ur ear to any part of he body and tap it and its just so resonant. it amazes me
                Last edited by sonicsamurai; 02-07-2008, 02:26 PM.

Comment

+2 on what Sully said. That and how the neck feels. You can dick with the electronics, but a neck is a neck.
                  I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Anything you buy(or get), you take a look at it first. Guitars, cars, girls, guns....

Looks are always important. If I like the look then the sound and playablity of a guitar, then I buy it.
                    I wish my hair-color was EDS :/

Comment

On a high dollar guitar, everything has to be appealing to me. Looks, build quality, sound, and playability. On lower end axes, I care about sound and playability, looks are important but I will compromise on looks if the sound is there.

Comment

The most important thing on ANY guitar is tuning and intonation stability. If you can't properly and accurately tune the fucking thing what's the point?
                        THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Comment

Tone comes first but neck shape can trump tone. I don't care if it sounds bloody fantastic, if I can't get with the neck it's a moot point...
                          I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

Originally posted by Nuclear Vampire View Post
                            The most important thing on ANY guitar is tuning and intonation stability. If you can't properly and accurately tune the fucking thing what's the point?
                            shouldn't be an issue on a decent guitar tbf. thats not gonna be the first thought in my head when i pickup a prs for example. i wouldn't expect to find anything less than stable tuning on any guitar upwards of a few hundred.

Comment

fuck the neck... it's all about the tone
                              "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Working...
                              X