No announcement yet.

What is a must in a guitar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

that's why I don't care about any guitar reviews, too much talk about the neck, action, finish etc. crap I don't care about. guitar is a musical instrument, music is for ears, that's why it's the tone that matters... if you can play... you can play any guitar
    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Glory Hole
      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
        Glory Hole
        hmmmm.....

I never thought of that. I guess if you could somehow cut out a hole and smooth it out nicely, possibly put a little latex liner in there or something. Imagine a crazy solo on a busy night at the club, and the old rod popping out :o

"Glory Hole Guitars" - I'll buy stock in that!

Comment

p.s - there are no musts in a guitar for me. Im not happy with any guitar, and I validate my guitar suckiness by blaming that the "guitar isnt right for me"

Comment

Strings.

Comment

I'm very picky. It has to have a lot of features I want, otherwise I wouldn't buy it. I played a Godin the other day, it played very well and sounded good, but it was so ugly and boring that it couldn't justify the 700euro price tag.
              "I hate these filthy neutrals! With enemies, you know where they stand. But with neutrals... who knows? It sickens me!"

Comment

Originally posted by Nuclear Vampire View Post
                The most important thing on ANY guitar is tuning and intonation stability. If you can't properly and accurately tune the fucking thing what's the point?
                That's the beanie! I recently sold my Jackson Strat because, even though it was ballsy as hell, it just would not intonate properly and I was constantly having to retune the bloody thing.
                Weird thing is, I'm really not a great player, but tuning and intonation issues really bug me. I guess my ear is more talented than my fingers...

Comment

Originally posted by sully View Post
                  how loud it is acoustically is something that i look for, but don't always make buying decisions on. it's a good sign when the guitar is resonant before you plug it in.

sully

+1

Tone / playability and build quality. If it sounds good but isn't going to last long then the price needs to reflect that. If it is priced right and for the right reasons then it is coming home.

But obviously something needs to draw me in so if it does not appeal to me visually I probably would not even see it.

Comment

Given that it tunes/works properly, playability is my biggest quirk! Looks coming in second.
                    I love admins!

Comment

I forgot to mention that an electric guitar has to fall into a range of $7 to a little over $500.:ROTF:
                      I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane View Post
                        Strings.
                        wellll duhhhhhh....

Comment

1. The neck has to feel right. For me this is a combination of back profile, fret type, fret dress (can't beat a neck with perfectly leveled frets), fingerboard material (ebony is the one for me), and nut width.
                          2. It has to ring out anywhere and everywhere up and down the neck, plugged and unplugged, but still have pretty low action.
                          3. I hate fake and/or cheap materials. I love MOP sharkfin inlays but I'll take no inlays at all if they have to be MOTO. I much rather have an OFR than a run-of-the-mill LFR. etc. etc.

Comment

Working...
                          X