Painting compressor size?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painting compressor size?

I have a couple of these spray guns (suction feed)..
    I am having trouble trying to get info on what size compressor I would need to use them with automotive paints to spray guitar bodies.
    The gun is a Stewart Warner Almite 7854. (Google sucks sometimes!)
    I want to know the minimum requirement compressor I would need to run this type of gun. Budget is tight, something for less than 300.00 is what I need.
    Thanks,

Does this help?
    Seems like it's kind of a deep topic... lot's to think about.
    http://books.google.com/books?id=2QU...KCvPs#PPA57,M1
    "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
    --floydkramer

Comment

Yeah, been looking around, and the searches here aren't yielding the answers, either.
      That article suggests siphon feed guns "use more air pressure", but it doesn't say exactly what cfm/hp to get. The label on the gun suggests to refer to owner's manual. Can't find one of those, either. Googling Almite brings up grease guns! Arg.

Comment

Someone here will know.
        --floydkramer

Comment

I sent you a pm, That gun will probably need 30 to 40 cfm to function properly, 1 horsepower on a compressor = about 4cfm. A hose with 3/8 inner diameter is allways best to use for painting no longer than 30 ft. Todays high solid products need to be atomized greatly in order to get maximum results, and performance of the products.

Comment

i have a 21 gallon compressor that i bought specifically to shoot paint with.

sully
            Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
            Sully Guitars on Facebook
            Sully Guitars on Google+
            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Thanks, I have some shopping to do...
              Meanwhile, a buddy just gave me a bucket of pickups, cables, and doodads to play with.
              A beautiful day to solder!

Comment

I bought one of those 6 gallon 150psi pancake ones, to do trim work "minor" jobs with. I don't know how it would hold up to painting though.

Comment

Great.
                  A well meaning retiree neighbor that I was chatting with "loaned me"
                  a 2 hp, 4 gallon stacked compressor. ("Well, you know, I never use it...would you like to try it out for a while?")...
                  So, we'll see I guess.
                  He's the kind of guy you don't just say "no" to.

Comment

One day... I will ask you for a favor...
                    --floydkramer

Comment

Originally posted by nhspike View Post
                      One day... I will ask you for a favor...
                      At my rate of speed, I ought to be good at it in about twenty years.
                      Stay tuned.

Comment

If you have three hundred I would look at getting a HVLP gravity fed gun and a compressor. They dont recquire as large a compressor as suction type guns. That and given the looks of that sprayer you have there it may need to be rebuilt.

Gun

Compressor

Comment

Working...
                        X