No announcement yet.

Sonic v Bengal debate thread :D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm still marvelling at Bret Michael's nomination for best.....anything. He was just a cheap imitation of a bunch of ordinary singers in more successful bands. Styled himself after Vince Neil, right down to his nasally whiny voice. Big drum riser jumps & scissor kicks ala DLR. Snake danced like Axl. Put on a cowboy hat to sing country ballads like Bon Jovi.

It was like the degradation you see in photocopies of photocopies of photocopies.
    Hail yesterday

Comment

• Originally posted by Cygnus X1 View Post
      sully, if you're going to tag-team, I may have to jump in.
      Be warned. I grew up in the Kiss age.
      so did i! are we on the same kiss side?

sully
      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
      Sully Guitars on Facebook
      Sully Guitars on Google+
      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

• oops. i posted too late. wonk wonnnnnnnnk.

best hair metal singer? david coverdale.

yeah, yeah, yeah. you can't tell me that the 1987 album's style didn't spawn hair metal. it did.

sully
        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
        Sully Guitars on Facebook
        Sully Guitars on Google+
        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

• I like Coverdale. Not really as strong as you'd think live but he does a good job...

Have to mention Blitz...

I always thought the dude from Lizzy Borden was decent for a high register singer. Was his name Lizzy Borden too? I only really remember Menace To Society...

Devin Townsend has to be mentioned somewhere. His work of Vai's album was tits. Strapping Young Lad is/was good too...

But for strictly Hair Metal, there were no really, really strong singers. Sebastian Bach is one. I don't like him but he has a great set of pipes...

On tape, Marq Torin was decent. Live was another story...

Shit, how could I forget Geoff Tate? I'm shocked. He's as good as they come...
          I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

• I've always felt underwhelmed by Tate's singing. I think Dave Meniketti blew him out of the water on the Hear'n'Aid sessions.

best metal singer on the planet right now? Easy. D Coverdale, G Hughes, I Gillan, RJ Dio & R Gillen all rolled into one: Jorn Lande
            Hail yesterday

Comment

• now let's see Kiss

They were good musicians...
              Paul is one of the greatest singers... not only he can sing rock... he can sing gospel as well... he has a very impressive range
              Gene is a good bass players... a lot of great grooves and deep pocket
              Peter had a very unique drumming style in rock... there was a lot of swing to it... just listen to Detroit Rock City... very big band sounding drum patterns
              btw. Gene Krupa gave him lessons for free because he saw talent in Peter and if you don't know Krupa is the man who changed how the drums are played (along with Joe Morello and Art Blakey)... he is the king of drumming... super influental... everyone learned from his playing... and yes he was the favorite of the greatest drummer ever... Buddy Rich
              he didn't even bothered with most of the dudes but decided to teach Peter... that says a lot.
              now Ace is God!!!! period.... there's no discussion.
              he had one of the best guitar tones in the 70's, he made some of the most memoriable solos ever, he had amazing picking attack and vibrato, he has influenced A LOT of players and not only in America
              and Ace is the funniest rockstar ever
              Let see... some of the players who are HEAVILY influenced by Ace.. Marty Friedman, John Norum, Ty Tabor, Dimebag, Paul Gilbert, Dave Snake Sabo, Reb Beach, Scott Ian, Lenny Kravitz, Kirk Hammett, Jeff Watson, Tracii Guns etcw. etc. etc.

Kiss were the best performers in the world and also they were amazing songwriters. Kiss started because Gene and Paul were the only dudes they knew who played their own songs.
              And not only they made cool party and rock'n'roll songs they also made Black Diamond!!!!

Kiss was the BIGGEST band in US durning the mid 70's. When they visited some town everyone was wearing their makeups. Kids, parents, policemen even the fucking major. Beat that!!!!
              Durning the late 70's they started get more exposure in other countries. They were HUGE in South American. Also they were like the Beatles in Australia and Japan.
              And they got many fans in Europe too.

They did influence a lot of bands. Including Van Halen, Motley, RATT, Skid Row etc.
              "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

• I'm not going to deny anything said about Kiss, and how great and influential they were - it's all true. However, to us Brits - the old ones who were there, not just these young'uns - Kiss meant pretty much fuck-all. We knew about them, sure, but it was an American thing - like DC Comics and Muscle cars. I guess the whole "cartoon character /extravaganza" thing clashed with with the more austere and conservative British mindset. Also, when Kiss were at their biggest in the US, we had the whole punk scene kicking-off, and that was a huge thing.

Comment

• Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
                  I'm still marvelling at Bret Michael's nomination for best.....anything. He was just a cheap imitation of a bunch of ordinary singers in more successful bands. Styled himself after Vince Neil, right down to his nasally whiny voice. Big drum riser jumps & scissor kicks ala DLR. Snake danced like Axl. Put on a cowboy hat to sing country ballads like Bon Jovi.

It was like the degradation you see in photocopies of photocopies of photocopies.

actually it was the guy from kix he ripped off...

Comment

• Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
                    I thought we'd established that better album sales meant better music....

so now better album sales doesn't equal better music? It's label push that equals better album sales? I'm so confused....

sonic, were you ever captain of your school debating team?

generally it does, what i'm saying is it doesn't say much about kiss that a small time hair metal band with no exposure can sell as much as one of the most exposed rock bands in the world album for album. Both of XYZs albums were gold, kiss never had more than gold album. now if kiss are so good and so big, how come they never got any better album sales??...

Comment

• Kiss has sold about 100 million albums and more gold albums than any other band in America and has had plenty of platinum records... dude wtf are smoking?
                      Last edited by Endrik; 02-14-2008, 06:56 AM.
                      "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

• Originally posted by Endrik View Post
                        Kiss has sold about 100 million albums and more gold albums than any other band in America and has had plenty of platinum records... dude wtf are smoking?
                        XYZs albums were gold, none of kss' albums have been more than gold. if kiss are so good and so big, how come their albums don't get more than gold status, when even a small time hair metal band can reach that mark. don't you think if kiss were so amazing their albums might have gone platinum at least by now? even ozzys back catalogue is platinum now, yet kiss still haven't got past the gold mark, and yet people are telling me kiss were and still are the biggest band in the world. a strong cult following maybe for them to consistently get gold albums, but clearly not that big if loads of other bands have all gonna platinum. ratt had platinum albums, so did dokken, poison, yet they were all around and in the limelight for a much shorter time and released far less material. yet kiss, yeah they're so big, haven't sold more than gold on any album in a 30+ year period, you'd have thought if they were so popular at least alive or destroyer might have gone platinum by now, but no...

have kiss even had a number 1 album? yet even def leppard and led zeppelin and the eagles have, and the beatles. in fact they've had 2 i think? in fact they're the only rock bands to have dpone so. so clearly their album sales outstrip kiss. are you still tellingg me kiss are the biggest rock band in the world? when they have done none of this?
                        Last edited by sonicsamurai; 02-14-2008, 07:15 AM.

Comment

• are you a looney? Kiss HAS PLATINUM ALBUMS AND PLENTY OF THEM!!!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Endrik View Post
                            are you a looney? Kiss HAS PLATINUM ALBUMS AND PLENTY OF THEM!!!!!!
                            EDIT: actually you're right. it doesn't say that on their main wikpedia page unless you go shift through all their album info. MY BAD!!!

...must be something in the air....

anyway we're being naughty: the ref said no more kiss!
                            Last edited by sonicsamurai; 02-14-2008, 07:23 AM.

Comment

• Sonic, I pray to God your'e fucking with all of us. Kiss has 24 Gold albums, 10 Platinum, and 2 Multi Platinum. I like XYZ, but they have nothing in the RIAA award database that I could find.

Comment

• Originally posted by jacksoncsplayer View Post
                                Sonic, I pray to God your'e fucking with all of us. Kiss has 24 Gold albums, 10 Platinum, and 2 Multi Platinum. I like XYZ, but they have nothing in the RIAA award database that I could find.
                                read what i just posted before you

Comment

Working...
                                X