No announcement yet.

Sonic v Bengal debate thread :D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• so thats 2 draws and a victory a piece then. and a null on the groupies as we were both on the same side there.

next topic anyone?

Comment

• Originally posted by Bengal View Post

So what's next? We got off the soccer thing. No clear winner there, I think...
      hows about American made vs Asian made

Comment

• american or japanese. good as there may be, you just KNOW a korean or chinese made guitar from an american or japanese. too easy to tell the difference in quality. that price difference is sure noticeable sometimes. i'll always go american for fender, but jackson? i'd go japanese on the principle that there's not enuff difference to warrant the hiuge price of an american compared to an rr2 or sl3.plus u'd have to wait however long it takes for them to actually deliver an american, whereas more often than not, u can jus walk out the door with an sl3 or an rr24 unless ur gonna order a different color or something, but usually thats shouldn't take too long. i'd maybe pay for a us charvle tho, but am more liely to go second hand just for the classic vibe...
        Last edited by sonicsamurai; 02-15-2008, 05:36 PM.

Comment

• the word soccer came from England

American Football players are way bigger and stronger than rugby players... with body armor they still have ridiculous amounts of injuries... that's why there's so few games in the season... not a manly sport??? why don't you go play against NFL players and then talk

American Football has more tactics and different schemes than any other team sport I know... and I'm not a big football fan.

USA is a very strong soccer country... they have even won an Olympic Gold.... yeah women won it.... but soccer is a women's sport really
          but the men's team is also very strong

I don't hate soccer... I find it painfully boring... and yes I have played it... I was the main defender in my school's team... and had a pretty accurate long distance passing skill

soccer is very popular because it's very easy to play and doesn't require no special gear or enviroment, you can play it everywhere

soccer hooligans are the worst piece of shit in this world

Beckham is the most overrated douche in the sport... and his wife is an ugly bitch

what I do hate about soccer is all the retarded deals and politics involved with it... and the annoying fans... and people who are telling me why I don't watch soccer because everybody else does
          "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

• Interesting topic. Let me think how I fall on this one...

Made In USA: Usually good quality. Sometimes not. Prices are going through the roof while the QC is not. Usually a decent resale value...

Made In Japan: High quality. Hold resale value as well. Sometimes cheaper than MIA but not always. The Japanese have been making quality instruments for a long, long time now...

Made In Korea: Getting better every day. Took a long time for them to figure out how to make a good guitar. Resale value is usually crap but they are cheap to start with so that's not a big issue...

Made In China: Figured out how to build a good guitar much, much quciker than Korea. Spotty quality. Very affordable. "The New Korea"...

Made In Anywhere Else: I have no opinion because I've never owned one...
            I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

• Endrik,
              Right on target as usual...

Comment

• Originally posted by sonicsamurai View Post
                no clear winne ron soccer v football.
                agreed.
                too much of it is in the eye of the beholder.
                no, the pair of you were arguing against sports that you both clearly have little understanding of. Both of you making belittling generalisations about the other guys preferred sport does not a debate make.
                i think i clearly won the town v citty squabble baesed on actual fact tho.
                so a city is defined as such because it has a cathedral? sure. Another actual "fact", like the facts you used in your argument about American football. A city is by definition a large or important town, a centre of population & commerce. Suggesting that a city must have a cathedral suggests that only christians have cities. A population of >1million hindus, buddhists or muslims living in one "town" can't be a city?
                Hail yesterday

Comment

• Originally posted by Endrik View Post
                  American Football players are way bigger and stronger than rugby players... with body armor they still have ridiculous amounts of injuries... that's why there's so few games in the season... not a manly sport??? why don't you go play against NFL players and then talk
                  yea, for sure. The armour is worn with good reason. It's a collision sport. Rugby is also a collision sport, but not with the same level of impact. American Footballers are bigger because for most players, it's all about that first impact, the explosion off the line. Rugby players tend to be not as heavily muscled (and certainly no where near as fat as a lot of linebackers) since the object is not to level the opposing player but to get them to ground and get back up to play defence. Rugby doesn't have the complete stoppages after each play that American Football does, so defenders have to be able to quickly get back to their feet and run after the man with the ball again.

We've had some great conversations on the topic over the years. Someone here (sorry, can't remember who) was saying how they played a game of rugby against some locals when they were stationed overseas, and while the Americans' tackles would absolutely level the local boys, while they were getting back to their feet, the ball was already across the other side of the field in the winger's hands and streaking towards the try line.

I don't get the need to compare all these sports and proclaim one better than the other. I love American Football, Rugby Union, Rugby League, Football, Australian Rules Football. There are great athletes playing in all codes, but all are very different sports with their own tactics & nuances. If a rugby team were to playing against American Football, the power of the NFL line would complete overwhelm the rugby pack. A rugby pack wouldn't know how to block to protect a running back and wouldn't have the strength hold out a defensive line. Likewise, the quick ball movement and mobility of the rugby players would leave most of the American Footballers standing flatfooted in a rugby game - not to mention that rugby players run for 90 minutes, without the stoppages after each play sequence. Can you imagine a 320lb linebacker having to ruck, maul, tackle, get back to their feet for 90 minutes without a huddle after each play?
                  Hail yesterday

Comment

• good points there G,

NFL and rugby are both cool in my book... one is more like a pro boxing match the other one is like a good old fashioned bar fight

btw. what's the difference between rugby and Aussie football?... I've never focused on that game before
                    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

• biggest differences?

rugby has more in common with American Football, in that there is an advantage line and one team (with the ball) is trying to advance while the other team tries to stop them. Attempting to play from the wrong side of that advantage line will be penalised.
                      Aussie Rules has it's roots in Gaelic Football from Ireland, where player's will occupy a position on the field. So you have forwards, midfielders and backs & there is no offside position.

passing
                      rugby: all passes must be backwards
                      aussie rules: passes can be in any direction, but can't be thrown. The ball must be tapped on with your fist (I guess like serving or digging a volleyball)

offsides
                      rugby: players cannot start a play from an offside position
                      aussie rules: no offsides

starting the game
                      rugby: play commences with a kickoff by one team to the other
                      aussie rules: similar to basketball tipoff, games starts with the referee bouncing the ball in the centre circle where 2 ruckman (tallest guy from each team, usually 6'7 or taller) will leap & attempt to hit the ball down to a teammate

tackling
                      rugby: much like American Football, hit your opponent hard with your shoulder, attempt to dislodge the ball, or if need be, just grab on and drag the fucker down.
                      aussie rules: rugby-style tackles not allowed, players can only be grabbed and brought to ground. Tripping is also not allowed.

the playing field
                      rugby: rectangular field with a tryline at each end
                      aussie rules: traditionally played on cricket pitches during winter (so in the cricket offseason) and so played on a round or oval pitch.

scoring
                      rugby: there are 2 goal posts on the tryline separated by a cross bar. Any player can score by placing the ball over the try line; by kicking a field goal between the goal posts & over the crossbar during general play; or by likewise kicking a penalty kick or conversion from a placekick.
                      aussie rules: there are 4 goal posts at each end of the field. Any player can score a goal (worth 6 points) by kicking between the middle 2 posts. A kick outside of the middle posts but inside the outer posts is called a "behind" & is worth 1 point. If a shot at goal is deflected through by the defending team, or if the defending team decide to tactically sacrifice a point by putting the ball through their own goal themselves, it is also worth 1 point. Scoring shots are recorded separately before being totalled, which is why you might see a score like "Brisbane Lions 8.5.53". 8 goals + 5 behinds = 53 points

I guess that's a start. I could elaborate if you wanted more info.
                      Hail yesterday

Comment

• Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
                        no, the pair of you were arguing against sports that you both clearly have little understanding of. Both of you making belittling generalisations about the other guys preferred sport does not a debate make.

so a city is defined as such because it has a cathedral? sure. Another actual "fact", like the facts you used in your argument about American football. A city is by definition a large or important town, a centre of population & commerce. Suggesting that a city must have a cathedral suggests that only christians have cities. A population of >1million hindus, buddhists or muslims living in one "town" can't be a city?
                        i have watched american football games and other sports before, that is what my opinion was based on, bengal also provided information which i also used.

and yeah, learn to history..., cities traditionally were cities because they had cathedrals...that is where the term 'cathedral city' comes from i think. and funnily enough that is because the term was traditionally used in western 'christian' countries...mixed race population, especially in britain predominately arose in the post war period from where workers came over from other parts of the empire to help rebuild britain and europe. refugees fleeing the war is one the main reasons why america has such a mixed population, because a large majority of europeans fled there where they wouldn't get bombed....so my definiation follows the traditional western and christian one, and it also was not my only definitiion of what a city might be as i also said it was related to poulation density and other things.

Comment

• Originally posted by jacksoncsplayer View Post
                          Where the fuck is the ref ?
                          Your turn, Marc.
                          Remember to stay out of the argument, and make calls based on what's written, not on your personal opinion.

Both of my sisters are doing fine, I think.

Comment

• Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
                            biggest differences?

rugby has more in common with American Football, in that there is an advantage line and one team (with the ball) is trying to advance while the other team tries to stop them. Attempting to play from the wrong side of that advantage line will be penalised.
                            Aussie Rules has it's roots in Gaelic Football from Ireland, where player's will occupy a position on the field. So you have forwards, midfielders and backs & there is no offside position.

passing
                            rugby: all passes must be backwards
                            aussie rules: passes can be in any direction, but can't be thrown. The ball must be tapped on with your fist (I guess like serving or digging a volleyball)

offsides
                            rugby: players cannot start a play from an offside position
                            aussie rules: no offsides

starting the game
                            rugby: play commences with a kickoff by one team to the other
                            aussie rules: similar to basketball tipoff, games starts with the referee bouncing the ball in the centre circle where 2 ruckman (tallest guy from each team, usually 6'7 or taller) will leap & attempt to hit the ball down to a teammate

tackling
                            rugby: much like American Football, hit your opponent hard with your shoulder, attempt to dislodge the ball, or if need be, just grab on and drag the fucker down.
                            aussie rules: rugby-style tackles not allowed, players can only be grabbed and brought to ground. Tripping is also not allowed.

the playing field
                            rugby: rectangular field with a tryline at each end
                            aussie rules: traditionally played on cricket pitches during winter (so in the cricket offseason) and so played on a round or oval pitch.

scoring
                            rugby: there are 2 goal posts on the tryline separated by a cross bar. Any player can score by placing the ball over the try line; by kicking a field goal between the goal posts & over the crossbar during general play; or by likewise kicking a penalty kick or conversion from a placekick.
                            aussie rules: there are 4 goal posts at each end of the field. Any player can score a goal (worth 6 points) by kicking between the middle 2 posts. A kick outside of the middle posts but inside the outer posts is called a "behind" & is worth 1 point. If a shot at goal is deflected through by the defending team, or if the defending team decide to tactically sacrifice a point by putting the ball through their own goal themselves, it is also worth 1 point. Scoring shots are recorded separately before being totalled, which is why you might see a score like "Brisbane Lions 8.5.53". 8 goals + 5 behinds = 53 points

I guess that's a start. I could elaborate if you wanted more info.
                            cool, thanks bro. I'll have to check it out

Comment

• Originally posted by Cygnus X1 View Post
                              Your turn, Marc.
                              Remember to stay out of the argument, and make calls based on what's written, not on your personal opinion.

Both of my sisters are doing fine, I think.
                              Fuck that, too many Prophets in it for me. :ROTF: Glad to hear your sisters are doing fine :ROTF:

Comment

• This thread might go dormant on the weekends. I'm not as big of a slave to the internet as I am during the week. So if you don't see me much this weekend, I'll be back and we can go at it on Monday...

But I am here quite randomly so talk shit and I'll see it...

What's the next topic?

Comment

Working...
                                X