Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Iron Maiden concert review... IZOD arena, NJ.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iron Maiden concert review... IZOD arena, NJ.

It's been a real long time since I've posted here.. I've actually forgotten how long... years. I spent so much time reviewing and researching recent Maiden concerts and tickets, I felt it would be a good idea to pass along what I learnt and how great the concert was here in the US for any of you fans and fellow head bangers... A moniker I think we are all familiar with.
    Anyway, enjoy the review and hope you get something good out of it.
    It was an incredible show and I highly recommend it to anyone who is and even isn't a Maiden fan.

I was in section 109 row 3. It was a great view from the side and from me and my wife's vantage point, we were better off than being down in the crush of people in the VIP section, trying to see over heads..

I didn't see the opening act but I heard it was Steve Harris's daughter... and apparently pretty good too...

IT started with two 15" video screens turning on on either side of the stage with video footage of the Maiden Boeing 757, Ed Force One... A prequel to the concert with the band on the plane, rabid fans in line waiting for the show and ultimately the band signing autographs and getting ready... It was cool... (The stage was still covered at this time)...

I'm pretty sure, everything went dark after that... all lights out!

......then Churchill's speech piped in... oh yeah!! The crowd went nuts We all knew what was coming!....

Aces High screamed out of the speakers; the stage lit up and the band jumped out right when the beginning guitar harmony started... Damn it was great and we went crazy!!!...

Here's several pics.

The set list below...

Churchills' speech
    Aces High
    2 Mins to Midnight
    Revelations
    The Trooper
    Wasted Years
    Number of the Beast
    Can I Play with Madness
    Rime of the Ancient Mariner
    Powerslave
    Heavan Can Wait
    Run to the Hills
    Fear of the Dark
    Iron Maiden
    Moonchild
    The Clairvoyant
    Hallowed be they Name.

The last three were encores.

During the show, Bruce announced several more dates, including Madison Square Garden and the PNC arena in Jersey again. Also dates for Massachusetts all with bigger and better stage sets. Awesome!

The show was amazing and they were pretty much right on! Very tight I would say. I wasn't too sure what the hell Janick was doing as even my wife thought he was a bit wacked.. still, he's on stage and I'm not so he must be doing something right!

Dave looked like he changed between three strats.. Adrian played both his rosewood neck Jackson strat and his maple neck Jackson with the rosewood seeming to take most of the reigns... He also played a Gibson SG with a peace symbol at the bottom. I've not seen that one before but was told its been around a while...

As an FYI to anyone going to an arena, it looks like anyone sitting in the lower rows on the sides closest to the stage will have a blocked view. We still had a hard time seeing Adrian and Dave at times. I would say getting seats at least 10 rows up or more would be safe in those sections...

Overall, it was an AWESOME concert!!! Some great memorabilia with t-shirts featuring almost every cover from the early years including new tour graphics and even a soccer jersey were available for purchase including key chains, hats and a few other items.
    I'm going again when they come to Madison Square Garden but this time, its just me so I'm getting tickets to the barrier!

Fish

Awesome! I hope they come to Detroit, or Cleveland/Chicago... I'll make the drive. Maiden is one of my all time favorites, and Powerslave my favorite CD from them.

Comment

Cool review Ian, but nevermind more US dates, THEY'RE PLAYING VANCOUVER!!!!
      Popular is not the same as good
      Rare is not the same as valuable
      Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

what was cool with the merch, too, is that the shirts are all double-sided. So Aces High backed with 2 Minutes, etc. I picked up 3 shirts, including a Live After Death one to replace the old sweatshirt I had back in high school & a "Take Your Mummy On Tour" shirt

All shirts had dates on the back, but I just couldn't bring myself to grab the "proper" Oz tour shirt because it was so cheesy - Eddie in the barrel, wearing a slouch hat & surfing the back of a shark with a Blue Heeler sitting behind him on the back with dates around the circle formed by the wave. And on the front, Ed again, this time in front of Uluru (Ayers Rock) with a kangaroo crossing sign dripping with blood, framed by a silhouette of Australia. Cheeeeeese Very cool that they made one up special though...
        Hail yesterday

Comment

Sweet ass pics, wow, kinda fired up to see them again, for the first time in 22 years.

Comment

Thanks for the pics and review!

WTF Eddie has no ass?!

Comment

it does appear that ol' Ed spends more time on the shoulder press than on the squat machine....
              Hail yesterday

Comment

Same stage as in San Juan, glad to hear you had a great time.
                I had a blast, I can't remember another concert where I had so much fun.

BTW, you are right JG is all over the place and that little dance thing....... .
                Mr. Patience.... ask for a free consultation.

Comment

Awesome pics, thanx for sharing...
                  Why hunt ... when there is no machine gun season?

Comment

Fear of the Dark? Why are they playing that? I though the tour was only supposed to be including songs up to 7th Son?

Nice review and pics, thanks for that!
                    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

Happy to share the pics and review guys...

Hey Steeler, for real JG does some really strange shit... I mentioned on another board he needs his own box somewhere up in the corner of the stands...:ROTF:...

MartinB I'm no expert but Fear of the Dark gets the crowd going (this crowd really needed it).. so I think that's why its in the set.. The Maiden FC forum had some great posts of set lists that would make this one even better... but I agree, this set list was way cool... My only query was Clairvoyant but at least it was something different I guess...

Fish

Comment

I love The Clairvoyant.

that drumbeat alone is so kickass.
                        the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Yeah, I just got back from the TO show... fucking awesome. Although, I'm convinced people in Toronto don't know shit about concert goings... *shakes head* Tame tame people.

btw, Lauren Harris absolutely sucked (shitty pop-rock)... but her guitarist is Zakk Wylde from 1987! Same tone, same appearance, same pentatonic solos, same pinch harmonics, same phrasing, same stage presence, same guitar (sans bullseye)... scary.

Comment

Great review, Ian and good to see you back around these parts!

Comment

Originally posted by Freyr View Post
                              Yeah, I just got back from the TO show... fucking awesome. Although, I'm convinced people in Toronto don't know shit about concert goings... *shakes head* Tame tame people.

btw, Lauren Harris absolutely sucked (shitty pop-rock)... but her guitarist is Zakk Wylde from 1987! Same tone, same appearance, same pentatonic solos, same pinch harmonics, same phrasing, same stage presence, same guitar (sans bullseye)... scary.
                              I don't know which Toronto show you attended but the one I went to, from section 108, was kickass. The crowd was loud and very into it. I'd also like to know the last time you went to a show in Halifax that didn't suck - Nova Scotian crowds are the most boring I have ever witnessed, and I've been to dozens of concerts in Utah.
                              Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

Working...
                              X