Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need dirt bike advice

Hey Guys,

Anyone here own a dirt bike? I'm interested in getting one, either a 125cc or 250cc. I have a few questions:

1. 2-cycle or 4-cycle? It seems that a 125 is only available in 2-cycle(?) My concern is time needed for maintenance, and cost. I have tools, am mechanically inclined, learn fast, and love working on stuff like this. Is one or the other more expensive to maintain overall?

2. I'm a noob - my riding experience is limited to about 2 hours of riding my friend's 80cc one summer many years ago.

3. I plan on riding in a primarily motocross environment, with some occasional trail riding.

4. I'm not a big guy, only 5'5. I've sat on a couple of 125cc's recently and my feet come nowhere close to touching the ground. Problem? Or can the bike be lowered somehow?

5. I'm partial to Honda (cars, lawnmower experience ie. never had a problem). Any reason (other than price) to get a different brand? I assume Honda quality carries over to their bikes.

6. I don't plan on upgrading to a new bike every year or 2, so I want something I hopefully won't get bored with too fast.

Any comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated!
    "You are so stupid that I am surprised you have not collapsed into a singularity of stupidity." - Anon

you get 250ccm, ride a week then get bored... sell it... buy 500ccm... ride a week... and want even more power

that being said KTM is the shit... absolutely the best motocross bikes I've ever used... those over 600ccm Husqvarna bikes are pretty cool also
    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Have a fat wallet. By the time you get through buying all you need and want.........
      I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Dammit, I thought he wanted DIRTBOX advice.

Ah well, agreed KTM are pretty damned good, but they all break when you hit a tree!
        Get some mates to ride with, they'll give you the enthusiasm to get out more than the odd blue moon, you don't want the bike sitting in the garage all year because you can't be arsed to go out.
        So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

get a 4 stroker unless you want to work on it a lot.

also a 250 2 stroke is on on par with a 500 4 stroke.
          shawnlutz.com

Comment

I would recommend starting out with a used 250cc two-stroke, one from 2005, 2006, or 2007, either Honda, Suzuki or Yamaha. Honda uses the best metals and such, so the quality is a little better. 250cc two-strokes have around 45hp, while the 450cc four-strokes are around 50hp, but weigh about 8 pounds more.

The biggest thing is maintenence. The four-strokes are 'tightly wound' racing motors that need a lot of TLC. Constant checking of valve clearances and timing chain checks. Oil/filter changes every 2 to 4 hours, top end every 20 to 30 hours ($600 parts/labor at a shop), bottom end every 80 hours ($1000 parts/labor). When they blow, it's mega $ to fix. A 2-stroke costs about $250 for a top end, and I've gone a year or more before doing one. Change the 2-stroke tranny oil every month or two.

I have an '05 Suzuki RM250 2-stroke and an '05 Suzuki RM-Z450 4-stroke. I've spent $0 on the 250 for motor work and $2000 on the 450 for motor work. My lap times are about the same on both and I clear the same doubles/jumps on either.

Regarding your height issue, Ricky Carmichael is short also and it doesn't affect him. Easiest thing to do is to take out a bunch of seat foam to lower the seat. I wouldn't mess with trying to lower the suspension as that usually screws up the handling and jump ability. Once you get moving, you really don't need your feet to touch the ground anyway. Just bring a footstool to help you get going from the pits.

SDG is one company that sells 'low seats', so you can buy a complete seat that's already shorter/lower for you:

Comment

Just one more guitar!

Comment

Thanks for the info guys!
                "You are so stupid that I am surprised you have not collapsed into a singularity of stupidity." - Anon

Comment

Forget two strokes. The industry has.
                  "POOP"

Comment

Update: I just scanned over an article in this month's issue of Dirt Bike stating that the AMA will allow 250cc two-strokes to compete with 250cc four-strokes during the 2008 race schedule. However, this rule will only apply to the amatuer division.

Europe still loves two-strokes (as do I) and they're not all hung up on two-stroke emmisions. Personally, I think it's only a matter of time before the two-stroke makes a comeback. They're lighter, easier to maintain, start easily (no quirky routine to start the fuckers), and engine parts last much longer.
                    "POOP"

Comment

I had a older kdx220 and loved it it had low end torq and power used should be around 1500.00 around here in Texas--- Charles

Comment

I don't know about the 220, but the air cooled KDX 200 was faster than shit. The power to weight ratio was incredible. Was the 220 water-cooled?
                        "POOP"

Comment

I'd gladly give my left testicle to ride the new Maico 500 2-stroke. 67 horses at the rear wheel!
                          "POOP"

Comment

Originally posted by SEEGERMANY View Post
                            I don't know about the 220, but the air cooled KDX 200 was faster than shit. The power to weight ratio was incredible. Was the 220 water-cooled?

It Was WaterCooled and would eat the 450 Honda 4 Strokes for Lunch
                            I loved it never had any problems with it.

Comment

From one 49 year old to another, it's a damn good chance that you were a superior rider. The Honda 450 is brutally fast but easier to "hook up" than a 250 2-stroke with comparable power.
                              "POOP"

Comment

Working...
                              X