Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gibson Sues Walmart

Gibson Sues Wal-Mart, Other Majors, Over 'Guitar Hero'
    On Mar. 20, Gibson Guitar Corp. sued Wal-Mart and five other mass merchandise chains selling the Activision "Guitar Hero" video game, claiming it violates a Gibson-held patent. The federal lawsuit, filed Mar. 17, calls for Wal-Mart, Target, Kmart, Amazon.com, GameStop, and Toys "R" Us to stop selling the popular game.

As reported last week, Gibson has already attempted to stop Activision from selling all versions of the game, saying it too closely resembles a Gibson virtual-reality patent from 1999. Activision subsequently filed suit asking a federal judge to declare the game does not violate the Gibson patent.

The 1999 Gibson patent is for a product that allows the user to simulate participation in a concert by playing an instrument and wearing a headset with 3-D display and audio speakers.
    Special deals for JCF members on Jackson/Charvel, Suhr, Anderson, Nash, Splawn, Bogner, LSL, Ibanez, Diezel, Friedman, Bad Cat, 3rd Power, Dr. Z, ENGL and more. FREE SHIPPING! 0% FINANCING!

This is sad!

Comment

lame

Comment

And you wonder why Gibson guitars cost so much new. They have to pay for there lawyers for these useless suits. I wonder how much they wasted with PRS.

Comment

Again Gibson with a desperate act just looking for a settlement to shut Gibson up.
          ...that taste like tart, lemon yogart

Comment

It's interesting that Gibson supported and was part of the game, until now.
            Special deals for JCF members on Jackson/Charvel, Suhr, Anderson, Nash, Splawn, Bogner, LSL, Ibanez, Diezel, Friedman, Bad Cat, 3rd Power, Dr. Z, ENGL and more. FREE SHIPPING! 0% FINANCING!

Comment

Originally posted by yard dawg View Post
              I wonder how much they wasted with PRS.
              Millions. And PRS wasted millions as well. When I eventually go shopping for my Les Paul shaped guitar. My money will go to the PRS singlecut. Gibson should be concentrating on their QC issues.
              "You have a pud..your wife has a face. Next time she bitches..I'd play cock bongos on her cheeks..all four of them!" - Bill Z.
              I just just had a sudden urge to sugga dick..! If I wore that guitar and didn't suck male genitalia..somethin' is very wrong! - Bill Z.

Comment

+1

Maybe Les Paul should sue them for defamation, cosidering some of the firewood they put his name on.

Comment

Douchery! Pathetic.

Comment

Heh ... What exactly is Gibson doing wrong? Enforcing trademarks and patents? It's part of business and it is how they make money. It's no different than stealing someone else's song .. If they didn't protect their patents then they would be shut out of business by other companies stealing their product .. doesn't matter whether it is a Les Paul or a piece of software .... it's about the bottom line
                    Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

Originally posted by Mayday View Post
                      Heh ... What exactly is Gibson doing wrong? Enforcing trademarks and patents? It's part of business and it is how they make money. It's no different than stealing someone else's song .. If they didn't protect their patents then they would be shut out of business by other companies stealing their product .. doesn't matter whether it is a Les Paul or a piece of software .... it's about the bottom line
                      I have to agree here. This IS what companies do. Companies like walmart are freaking giants; they really have nothing to worry about with a suit like this. The only reason for all the hype is because they're suing over guitar hero, and honestly I'd rather see Gibson win this one than walmart and activision.
                      Guitars:
                      '04 Jackson SL1 - Flametop Cabo Blue Trans Burst
                      '94 Charvel Predator - Fire Crackle
                      '77 Ibanez LP Custom Copy - Black
                      Amp:
                      VOX AD30VT

Comment

Gibson has no claim here just as they had to legitimate claim with PRS. Its Gibson trying to make money without making a decent guitar. Im sure the guitar hero game is wayyyy different than the one Gibson came out with. Im sure Gibson will lose this one too. I hope they lose.

Comment

Gibson will lose.
                          The game has been out for years and they even licensed the LP brand and Gibson name to be used on the product.

Gibson's years of inaction will be their undoing.
                          There is a shit load of case law to back it up.
                          -Rick

Comment

Look at all the free press they're getting!
                            Fwopping, you know you want to!

VI VI VI: the editor of the Beast!

There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary. Those who do and those who don't.

Comment

Gibson probably didn't think that the game would take off like it did so they let activision use their LP brand for a small fee when in fact they see a much larger dollar figure could have been made, so now they want a larger piece of the pie!
                              Shibs

Two Reasons Why It's So Hard To Solve A Redneck Murder:

1. The DNA all matches.

2. There are no dental records.

Comment

Working...
                              X