Music store prices in Canada.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Music store prices in Canada.

...are still ludicrous regardless of the strong Canadian dollar.

Get this. There's a music store in Mississauga (near Toronto) that has a Model 6 in fair condition, with stickers on it, no case, and they're asking $799! That's just one example. In general, the people who run these stores have their heads so far up their asses, it's not even funny. This is why I buy 99% of my gear from the US.
    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Maybe they're not really into selling guitars as much as they are displaying guitars. It's a condition I call the Fullers Syndrome.

All I can say is there must be a lot of suckers out there. Otherwise, why would stores do this? Can't pay the bills with displays.
    "You have a pud..your wife has a face. Next time she bitches..I'd play cock bongos on her cheeks..all four of them!" - Bill Z.
    I just just had a sudden urge to sugga dick..! If I wore that guitar and didn't suck male genitalia..somethin' is very wrong! - Bill Z.

Comment

Maybe they make the majority of their profits on strings and picks.

Comment

They get away with it because people don't bother to know better. It pisses me off how many take advantage of the currency differential in their pricing even when there is none. Prices have moved some, but they still seem to be pricing retail at .85-.90 exchange rate.

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler View Post
          ...are still ludicrous regardless of the strong Canadian dollar.

Get this. There's a music store in Mississauga (near Toronto) that has a Model 6 in fair condition, with stickers on it, no case, and they're asking $799! That's just one example. In general, the people who run these stores have their heads so far up their asses, it's not even funny. This is why I buy 99% of my gear from the US.

What store in Mississauga? I haven't seen a used charvel model series in a GTA area store for nearly a decade.

Comment

Guitars, Cars...you name it...they fuck you at the drive through.

Comment

Originally posted by thez0r View Post
              What store in Mississauga? I haven't seen a used charvel model series in a GTA area store for nearly a decade.
              The Guitar Shop

http://www.theguitarshop.ca/features.php?id=256

Comment

did you talk to them in person? or is it just the web price? TGS is usually pretty decent

i mean they have (or had) limited edition rhoads' for like $1100, same as US prices

Comment

Originally posted by Mat View Post
                  did you talk to them in person? or is it just the web price? TGS is usually pretty decent

i mean they have (or had) limited edition rhoads' for like $1100, same as US prices
                  I'm not actually interested in the guitar. Even if I was, the way I see it, if they advertise it at such a ridiculous price, I'm already turned off. It says to me that they are a bunchy of greedy fuckholes, who I wouldn't want to deal with. Besides, what should it sell for? IMHO, it's a $450 guitar. Do you think they will let it go for $350 less than advertised? Not bloody likely.

I realize, I'm probably letting negative past experiences affect my view, but these places have to realize that they should be fighting for our business. They treat customers like they are doing us a favour. It's not just guitar stores either. It's very rare these days to be afforded any kind of courtesy at a retail establishment of any kind. Gone are the days when the customer was always right.

The bottom line is, I can get pretty much anything cheaper off ebay, without even dragging my ass off this chair, so all these places with lousy attitudes and high prices can kiss my ass. Eventually, when they go tits up, and can't figure out where all their customers went, I'll be laughing my ass off.

Comment

I completely agree on the ridiculousness of prices here. The stores in my area, with the exception of one, have yet to change prices to reflect the strength of the Canadian Dollar. If anything, they seem to be raising prices. A good example is Schaller/Fender locking tuners. They are $60 on Musicians Friend and $110 at one of the local music shops.
                    "Dear Dr. Bill,
                    I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

The local guitar shop here is great. The RR24 is less than it would cost me from anywhere in the States, and the Ibanez RG2228 they had was significantly less although.. even though the case is included everywhere, they were asking extra for it, and then it was just the same price. Long & McQuade still prices their stuff for the weaker exchange though.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben... View Post
                        I completely agree on the ridiculousness of prices here. The stores in my area, with the exception of one, have yet to change prices to reflect the strength of the Canadian Dollar. If anything, they seem to be raising prices. A good example is Schaller/Fender locking tuners. They are $60 on Musicians Friend and $110 at one of the local music shops.
                        Ya see, they are deluded. By the time they realize what they are doing wrong, it will be too late. They somehow think that because their stock cost them X number of dollars, that they need to sell it at the higher price to recoup their investment, and make a profit. They are short sighted. In the long run, that stock will likely sit on the shelf, until it has devalued even more, and worth even less than they paid for it. Anyone with any sense knows you sell at the current value regardless of what it cost you. Dead stock will end up costing you more when all is said and done.

Comment

Ya see, they are deluded. By the time they realize what they are doing wrong, it will be too late. They somehow think that because their stock cost them X number of dollars, that they need to sell it at the higher price to recoup their investment, and make a profit. They are short sighted. In the long run, that stock will likely sit on the shelf, until it has devalued even more, and worth even less than they paid for it. Anyone with any sense knows you sell at the current value regardless of what it cost you. Dead stock will end up costing you more when all is said and done.
                          In the long run, this is an extremely unrealistic business practice that will see you out on the street without a shop.

Comment

The only place I have noticed adjusting prices is Mother's Music. They compare to online stores or for the most part, beat them in pricing. Canadian music shops will have to change their prices soon or they will probably, if they haven't already, start losing customers to American internet based businesses like Musician's Friend.
                            "Dear Dr. Bill,
                            I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

I have pulled a few boners buying guitars. But the bottom line is we should know by now based on our Forum where a price should be. If those clowns want to charge up let them. It just won't sell. If someone wants to pay big bucks for a J/C on ebay so be it. It's all a fucking game. Don't let your puck thaw out.:ROTF:
                              I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Working...
                              X