No announcement yet.

Music store prices in Canada.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't actually run a brewery guys I forgot sarcasm is not conducted through the internet (Isn't the internet great? was meant to be the tip off). I was just saying I don't believe him by saying something equally ridiculous.

Comment

Trust me. I know. It is sometimes hard to convey intent on the Web.
      I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Originally posted by fett View Post
        Yikes It's really quite simple. Cost basis+markup=selling price. If the consumer is willing to pay that. Add in changes of taste; new models; a bad economy; a glut of guitars and the ability of the saleperson to sell it and if the stuff is still hanging on the wall you have to cut prices. "Below cost" is BS. These guys know how low they can go. Any dealer want to disclose the cost basis of an average guitar?
        The margin example I give is almost certainly inaccurate. I'm just saying that you don't compete on cost alone. I, for one, prefer to see a guitar before I buy it so I can make sure it isn't a lemon. As a result, I got a SLSMG that is completely kick ass. One guitar I didn't try before I bought, an ESP Custom Shop SRC-7, was a total piece of shit and was a huge waste of money. So, in the guitar business, I would say that being able to actually play the guitar is a key part of a good buying experience and something a retailer in the States can't offer to a Canadian. And to me that is worth an extra $100 in the price.
        Also, comparing dollar to dollar with the States is usually unfair to Canadian business. First things first, shipping. $60 at a minimum. More if it comes with a case. On something like a guitar, you need to go through a carrier like UPS, which makes duties at a minimum $45 plus the actual taxes, which could be as little as 5% (USA made) or 10% plus. You could illegally declare it as a gift or warranty exchange to save yourself the taxes, but business do not have that option. Then it takes X amount of days to arrive. You need to be home when it arrives so you can pick it up since 95% of cross border shipments need a signature to be released. So on so forth.
        Take into account demographics and target markets and so on... say its a Les Paul Custom or some other exorbantly expensive guitar. Older, well shoed buyer who won't mind paying extra and will want to see what they are getting. Or they don't feel comfortable dealing on the internet, and so on.
        In short, don't expect Canadian companies to drop their prices any time soon. It could make sense in some cases, say newbie guitars, but the most part, there are other ways you can make up the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by sakeido View Post
          Really? I'm the president and founder of a multinational brewery that has seen 20% sales growth annually for the past five years and took in $40m of revenue last year through purely word of mouth advertising. Isn't the internet great?

Not responding = complete copout. Break it down for me point by point. You might have to bust out all your latest periodicals for me Mr Consultant so you can squeeze in all the buzzwords you will need to sell me on your idea.
          Hah, I really don't give a shit if you believe me or not you fucking tool.
          Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

If the "successful" music shops in this area are any indication, there's more than one way to do business. Let's get back to talking about something important, like beer.

Or not... continue the pissing contest! :ROTF:

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler View Post
              Hah, I really don't give a shit if you believe me or not you fucking tool.
              Go to hell then. If you want to debate something, ante up, otherwise, don't fucking say anything in the first place.

Comment

I bought my DK2T at a Musicstop in NB for $650, plus tax...and a hardshell case.

You can snag these on ebay for around $100 less if you get lucky, but you can play first, buy later in stores.

Comment

i had to haggle at Long and McQuade for a pickup
                  they wanted 135.00 with tax,which is about 110.00 with out
                  our buck was high that day,i got them down to 80 bucks

you just have to haggle with them a bit
                  http://www.myspace.com/deadsoldier2

Comment

Absolutely haggling is the key, they price a bit high for that reason. The fact that MANY people won't buy something they haven't had in their hands first is also very important. This is what keeps brick and mortar stores in business, otherwise we'd just buy everything over the Internet. I personally like Ebay, MF and AMS because they extend your reach and grasp, but not everybody fels that way.

But Zeegs, I really don't think these stores are gonna fold just because you are pissed at them. Yeah, they may have to adapt, or maybe not. Our opinions don't always translate to real life, no matter the logic or experience behind them.

Besides, if they fold, when you need strings or picks right away, you'll have to go to Wal-mart!
                    Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X