Letters from Iwo Jima

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Letters from Iwo Jima

I watched that last night on AMC. It's a long movie with small sub-titles. My eye hurt. Very much Das Bootish. I thought it was pretty good. A must see for WWII buffs.
    I am a true ass set to this board.

is this the one that has the sister movie too? are they the same film? or is it one long movie told from two sides?

Comment

Originally posted by fett View Post
      I watched that last night on AMC. It's a long movie with small sub-titles. My eye hurt. Very much Das Bootish. I thought it was pretty good. A must see for WWII buffs.
      Is it because that you have one properly working eye?
      I wish my hair-color was EDS :/

Comment

Not sure. This is the one that Clint directed. It was predictable as hell. If you have 3 hours to watch it, it's worth watching.

Comment

Originally posted by Norton View Post
          Is it because that you have one properly working eye?
          Yep. The subs could have been a little bigger. They showed the letter-box version which reduces the TV screen size. I'm sure it was fine at the theater.

Comment

Originally posted by sonicsamurai View Post
            is this the one that has the sister movie too? are they the same film? or is it one long movie told from two sides?
            Yes. I can't remember the name of the other movie, I've heard it's good also.

Comment

Flags of our Father
              Come and get one in the yarbles, if you have any yarbles, you yunick jelly thou!

Comment

Originally posted by fett View Post
                It was predictable as hell. If you have 3 hours to watch it, it's worth watching.

You mean the Japanese don't win in this one?
                Come and get one in the yarbles, if you have any yarbles, you yunick jelly thou!

Comment

Nope. That's not what I meant.:ROTF: The storyline was. The anti hero had to survive. The rest were destined to die. Fancy photog. And Clint. What more could you ask for?

Comment

Geisha's
                    ...that taste like tart, lemon yogart

Comment

Those nasty Yanks killed that guy's horse. That was uncalled for. But they, the Japanese backstory, shot a pet dog. I can wade through dead bodies, but when they start killing Ole Yeller I get pissed.:ROTF:

Comment

I've watched Letters... Haven't seen Flags...yet but have the dvd. Girlfriend not so fond of war movies so I have to find time to watch it on my own.
                        Not my favourite war movie by far but it was pretty okay. Different.
                        For my money, the best war movie is Saving Private Ryan.

edit to add:
                        Platoon is also very good...and Full Metal Jacket.

Comment

I took dad to the theater to see "Flags". He landed in one of the first waves at Iwo and was there for the whole campaign. He said the movie was fairly accurate, although it had some errors that you would probably only notice if you were there.

He had no interest in seeing "Letters".

Comment

I can understand your dad. My uncle was in the 2nd Marine Div. He was a machinegun sgt. I haven't seen him in years. He wouldn't talk about the war. I doubt he would want to see a movie about the other side.

Comment

Working...
                            X