No announcement yet.

Do these guys who play "Cheaper" model

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my brother has a jap squire and it is AWESOME. it is almost identical to a USA '57 reissue i have from the early '80's....same color and everything. his has aged cooler than mine though.
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

My first guitar was a Squire Affinity Strat. 2004 made in China I think. It's a piece of shit. The slot for the 1st and 2nd string on the nut dug in, the trem bar when diving, it went down but when doing a note it sounded like it only dived half way, crappy tuning stability. I hated the neck on it. My MIM strat plays 10000x better. My squire just sits in the corner now with no strings.

I'm sure the old squires (japanese made ones) and the squires that are over $400 play great, but I would not recommend anyone to get a Squire Affinity Series as their first guitar. $300 for a Affinity Squire...its not worth it.
      Nathan (Slashrox)

Kramer Pacer Deluxe (1984)
      Fender Stratocaster (2006)
      Jackson PC-1 (2012)
      Kramer Pacer Classic (2013)
      Gibson Les Paul Traditional (2014)

Roland Cube 80gx 1x12 combo
      Fender Supersonic 4x12 cab

Comment

I still play my first guitar a lot, it's a Indonesian Squire strat. I love the sound and feel but it has its flaws.

My 1985 Japanese Squire is one of the most fun guitars to play. Great rock sound and very comfy
        "I hate these filthy neutrals! With enemies, you know where they stand. But with neutrals... who knows? It sickens me!"

Comment

I have a real early Squier Strat. It has the big CBS head with the chrome bullet, and 3-bolt fixings. It's pretty much a Japanese Fender, made just before they started "officially" building them over there.

Comment

There are definitely some cool, cheap guitars out there. Fellow guitarists used to make fun of me back in the late 90's when I'd bring a $3K Anderson and a $200 Danelectro reissue to the same gig...until they actually heard it. I still play that guitar all the time to this day...it's the one that sits beside my computer and gets picked up constantly.

Comment

My main axe is a JS30 Kelly with these upgrades: a ToneZone in the bridge and Planet Waves tuners... That's it. Looks cool and it rocks!
              JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
              Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

I had picked up one of those. Natural ash squiers that GC had back in 99/2000. I swapped the tuners to sperzels, Tossed in a JB JR and 2 lil 59's and the thing was insane. Great neck, and tons of tone. I just made some adjustments to it stayed in tune with trem use. And it was cool. And well worth the 99 bucks i paid for it.
                Plus my Frankie project was a japanese squier body. Great tone. Robin Trower played a Large headstock early 80's Squier.
                Gil

Comment

Originally posted by slashrox View Post
                  My first guitar was a Squire Affinity Strat. 2004 made in China I think. It's a piece of shit...
                  ...but I would not recommend anyone to get a Squire Affinity Series as their first guitar. $300 for a Affinity Squire...its not worth it.
                  Something tells me you got a lemon.
                  That guitar I'm playing in the picture I posted earlier is a 2005 Squire Affinity. Bought it new from MF and only paid $149 for it.
                  GREAT neck and the tuning stability on it is perfect.
                  It's been "tweaked" a bit since the pic above was taken.
                  Here it is now with a new pick guard and electronics. Everything else is stock.

-Rick

Comment

Originally posted by slashrox View Post
                    My first guitar was a Squire Affinity Strat. 2004 made in China I think. It's a piece of shit.

I'm sure the old squires (japanese made ones) and the squires that are over $400 play great, but I would not recommend anyone to get a Squire Affinity Series as their first guitar. $300 for a Affinity Squire...its not worth it.
                    Dude where did you buy it? Those Affinities are $149.99 here everyday all day. Too bad you dont have a GC in OZ. 300 bucks is list price. Considering the exchange rate that is.

Comment

"I swapped the tuners to sperzels, Tossed in a JB JR and 2 lil 59's and the thing was insane."

There ya have it.
                      "POOP"

Comment

I'm partial to large headstock strats..I wished Fender would feel the same way. Everytime I see a headstock I like, it's on a squire..but I require humbucks and floyds..I can't be alone.
                        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

There are so many good Squiers out there. I have been saying this for years and been bashed for it. My favorite guitar right know is an '87 Squier Bullet 1 (Korea). I had to solder a few wires back. The quality of the neck and the balance makes this a great guitar. The 20+ year old red paint is awesome. The real Gotoh tuners are great. The radius and the frets allow me to play effortlessly. It is just a fine guitar. It's a player's guitar and that's all there is to finding a great "Cheap" guitar.
                          I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                            I'm partial to large headstock strats...

Me too!
                            "POOP"

Comment

Originally posted by SEEGERMANY View Post

Me too!
                              Dude..that looks just like mine..but mine is "vintage white" (light yellow) and it has a floyd. Is that a scalloped neck..that rules!

Mine has a DiMarzio PAF pro with a treble boost at the bridge and two SCs..you would like it.

Yours looks great..I wanted THAT exact color scheme (olympic white) wasn't availuble for mine..just Vintage white, so it looks like Yngwie's. Dude, did you know that I had to wait a year and a half for my Strat because I wanted a friggin' perloid pickguard..they didn't have those stock at the time. Then they came out with them two years later..man was I pissed!!!
                              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Yessir, it's a Mammysteen. The previous owner pulled out the stacked humbucking piece of shit and replaced it with a Dimarzio side by side, paint peeling humbuckster. It's a fun guitar, but if you're heavy handed, every stinking note you'll play will be sharp. P.S. My girlfriend likes it even though she prefers mussels to scallops.
                                "POOP"

Comment

Working...
                                X