Do these guys who play "Cheaper" model

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SEEGERMANY View Post
    Yessir, it's a Mammysteen. The previous owner pulled out the stacked humbucking piece of shit and replaced it with a Dimarzio side by side, paint peeling humbuckster. It's a fun guitar, but if you're heavy handed, every stinking note you'll play will be sharp. P.S. My girlfriend likes it even though she prefers mussels to scallops.
    I figured it was..that's a nice guitar. I am very heavy handed and I know everything I play on that thing will be pushed sharp. I'd have to tweak the action, gauge and adjust my playing to be comfortable with it. One thing I love about the feel of a scalloped fret it gives my a very good grip on the string..I got a pretty wide and spastic vibrato at times (kinda Zakk/Sykes) ..and that would do nicely.
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by slashrox View Post
      My first guitar was a Squire Affinity Strat. 2004 made in China I think. It's a piece of shit. The slot for the 1st and 2nd string on the nut dug in, the trem bar when diving, it went down but when doing a note it sounded like it only dived half way, crappy tuning stability. I hated the neck on it. My MIM strat plays 10000x better. My squire just sits in the corner now with no strings.

I'm sure the old squires (japanese made ones) and the squires that are over $400 play great, but I would not recommend anyone to get a Squire Affinity Series as their first guitar. $300 for a Affinity Squire...its not worth it.
      I had a couple of 1998 Squier Affinity guitars that were actually pretty nice! They had 22 frets, solid wood bodies and the necks were nice and sweet, slightly thinner than a MIM Fender Strat neck and the pickups were hotter than my '98 Mexican Fender Strat too.

But as Fender often does, when a lower model is nicer than a higher one, they made the Affinity Series shittier. The next year they were 21 frets and plywood bodies. So I don't know what they were doing in 2004, and then too Fender products can vary even within the same batch.

But I wish I'd kept my 1998 Olympic White Squier Affinity Strat! For a cheapie it was a sweet little Strat.
      Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
        Dude..that looks just like mine..but mine is "vintage white" (light yellow) and it has a floyd. Is that a scalloped neck..that rules!

Mine has a DiMarzio PAF pro with a treble boost at the bridge and two SCs..you would like it.

Yours looks great..I wanted THAT exact color scheme (olympic white) wasn't availuble for mine..just Vintage white, so it looks like Yngwie's. Dude, did you know that I had to wait a year and a half for my Strat because I wanted a friggin' perloid pickguard..they didn't have those stock at the time. Then they came out with them two years later..man was I pissed!!!
        I like the big headstock and PAF Pro too. One day I might get this routed for a Floyd... haven't decided

Comment

Love your Warmoth. Here's mine.
          "POOP"

Comment

What's the neck wood on that? Headstock looks great

Comment

Originally posted by SEEGERMANY View Post
              "with a little hardware change"

Yep, just change out the tuners, the bridge, the pickups, the pots, and replace the plastic nut with bone and you'll be in the ballpark.
              All my MIM Fenders I change out the plastic nut to bone. Why change the tuners? I have never had a bad set of tuners on any Squire that I have owned.
              2009 Les Paul Kit - GFS Dream 90 (N), SD Seth Lover (B)
              2009 Gibson Les Paul Worn Brown
              2009 Epiphone Studio Deluxe
              2008 Epiphone Custom - SD P-Rail(N), Fat Pat (B)
              2008 Ovation Celebrity CC48
              2007 Agile AL3000 - SD Alinco II set
              2005 Epiphone Standard - SD Pearly Gate (N),SD Alinco II (B)
              2004 Epiphone Custom Plus Top
              2004 Gibson SG Faded - Stock
              1997 Epiphone Slash Snakepit
              1995 Fender Strat - SD Lil 59' Bridge, SD Hotrail Middle, Stock Neck

Comment

Originally posted by JACKSONFREAK View Post
                Dude where did you buy it? Those Affinities are $149.99 here everyday all day. Too bad you dont have a GC in OZ. 300 bucks is list price. Considering the exchange rate that is.
                I got it from my local shop new in 2004 (actually mum got it for me..she took my uncle with her to check out some guitars for me as I didn't know much about guitars then...and thats the one they picked)...and thats how much they cost new here. Music gear here is twice as expensive here. I'm going to start ordering music gear (except for amps) from the US soon, its much cheaper to buy from the US than buy from here
                Nathan (Slashrox)

Kramer Pacer Deluxe (1984)
                Fender Stratocaster (2006)
                Jackson PC-1 (2012)
                Kramer Pacer Classic (2013)
                Gibson Les Paul Traditional (2014)

Roland Cube 80gx 1x12 combo
                Fender Supersonic 4x12 cab

Comment

Even those POS looking tuners on the old Squiers are 16 to 1. I know.Then you get Gotohs stamped, The coolest ones have Fender on them with the G logo. Did I forget to mention that those slim necks are very cool?
                  I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Originally posted by thetroy View Post
                    What's the neck wood on that? Headstock looks great
                    If that question was directed to me, the neck is one piece koa, the fretboard is ebony, and the body is one piece koa. Sperzel locking tuners, Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz round out the package.
                    "POOP"

Comment

The History of Squier guitars that I know is that they were initially a Billy Squier signature line, made in Japan, beginning in the early 80's maybe 80 or 81? the first ones were Telecasters, but they also did Strats. I guess they did basses too, whatever sells.

I got one of the Tele's in 1984 as my first real guitar, it said Squier by Fender on the hs and it was very well made woodwise but with shitty electronics and tuners that all crapped out after about 2 years and the finishes corroded like super fast. plus thin frets that I never liked much. I took it apart and never did anything with it and then I got my Model 2 and never got around to re-doing the Tele.

I finally re-finned it a few years back and put a custom Warmoth birdseye neck on it (like everyone else LOL), SD pups, new pickguard, locking Grovers. it kills now.

the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

I've never heard the Billy Squier connection. I thought the Squier name was bought by Fender back in the 1960s and not utilized until much later on. I used to have a Fender book with the history of the company, but I think I used it to start my fireplace this past winter.
                        "POOP"

Comment

That's exactly right.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squier#History

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squier

Comment

If we're posting pictures of our Squiers -

Comment

"it may be a bolt-on, but it ain't no Squier"
                                "POOP"

Comment