Is this digital camera decent?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this digital camera decent?

I've gotten tired of my old POS 3.2 MP, and figured I'd get a new one. I didn't want to spend a lot because these things are almost disposable these days.

Is this thing any good?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Kodak-EasyShare-...QQcmdZViewItem
    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Hey, Zeegs,
    I don't know much about individual cameras, but you're right: Little point and shoot cameras are fairly disposable.

For what it's worth, 7MP cam for less than $150 is probably a good price. Check out your local stores, or websites (Best Buy, Circuit City) to get a baseline what they're going for now...

Comment

It certainly can't be any worse than my old one. It's got more than double the resolution, the same optical zoom (X3), and the LCD screen is 4 times the size. My old cmaera took pretty good pics, but the power button was finicky, it ate batteries like you wouldn't believe, it was bulky as hell, and I just noticed today that the corner of the camera where the flash is, is smashed, including the flash lens. I assume my wife must have dropped it recently without telling me. I'm gonna have to beat her with the phone book for that one. (j/k )

I actually checked at Wally world earlier today, and it seems that cameras in this range are selling for around $179 and up. They have a Kodak model that could be the same one as the one in the link. Well, I guess I'll know when it arrives.

Comment

Just remember that a lot of camera companies these days stuff a crappy sensor in their cameras so they can advertise high megapixel counts. Sure it will give you high resolution, but the sensor picks up so much noise that it's not worth it. Noise can be seen in pictures as pixels of random colors. Most noticeable in low-light conditions.

With that said, I can't say anything about this particular camera since I've never used it. This was just a general warning that higher megapixels does not equal higher quality.
        Scott

Comment

If you used to use the old 35MM cameras, those little ones just don't feel right.If I were me, I would want an camera that has a old style body. That is why I have two Fuji's. And the end all Canon Powershot Pro that was a gift from a member here. Get a camera that has a beefy bod.
          Last edited by fett; 03-31-2008, 02:34 PM.
          I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Originally posted by fett View Post
            If you used to use the old 35MM cameras, those little ones just don't feel right.If I were me, I would want an camera that has a old style body. That is why I have two Fuji's. And the end all Canon Powershot Pro that was a gift from a member here. Get a camera that has a beefy bod.
            Quite the opposite Fett. I grew up with parents who were into photography, and therefore became rather interested in it myself. I got my first 35mm SLR when I was 12 years old. I upgraded twice, to a Minolta X-7A, and then to a MAXXUM 5000. I got really tired of lugging them around, especially when I had the big lenses with me. IMO that's the true benefit of digital camera technology. I can put it in my pocket, and not have to worry about banging it into anything. The smaller the better in this case. It's almost like a spy camera.

Comment

Get small and lose the big lens. It's all preference in the end.
              I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

I bought 2 weeks ago a Casio EX-S880 and i'm very happy with it. I really recomend it to anyone. I got it on a kit that had the cam, momory card and case just for $200.
                '87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
                '81 Kramer Pacer Standard
                custom made Les Paul
                VOX Tonelab LE
                Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!
                ADA MP1
                BBE 422A
                Lexicon MPX-G2
                ADA Microtube 100

AFFA
                Support Your Local 81

Comment

i bought the Cannon SD950 IS power shot at Christmas. 12.1 mega pix. I really like it so far. Nice to be able to recharge the battery, and the small size is the way to go.
                  ...that taste like tart, lemon yogart

Comment

+1 for the Canon. We got a Powershot A540. Excellent camera.

Comment

Got my old man the same (a540), sells plenty of gear on ebay! I'd also recommend the small canon's, sis just got an ixus70 (dunno what its called over there) and it takes fantastic pics

Comment

Working...
                      X