Thinking about buying a bass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking about buying a bass

Anyone ever switch over to bass? I'm thinking about trying it to see if it will help me to 'get' some different styles of music i.e. jazz.

Looking at getting an SX J-Bass (4 or 5 string, frets or no?) for around $150 shipped with gig bag - seems like a pretty cheap way to play around.

Think I'd actually gain much from doing this, or would I be better off taking some say jazz guitar lessons?

I bought a bass a few years back. I like having it around. I use it sometimes, and others that come over use it too. As for the jazz part, that's all you my friend. I just like being able to have the choice when I walk into our music room.
    The Buzzard does not fear
    The man in riot gear
    Harvest a skull of stone
    The Buzzard grows his own...

Comment

bass is fun. it will allow you a ton of different gigs for sure. it makes recording easier too!!!
      GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by thetroy View Post
        Anyone ever switch over to bass? I'm thinking about trying it to see if it will help me to 'get' some different styles of music i.e. jazz.

Looking at getting an SX J-Bass (4 or 5 string, frets or no?) for around $150 shipped with gig bag - seems like a pretty cheap way to play around.

Think I'd actually gain much from doing this, or would I be better off taking some say jazz guitar lessons?
        The SX J-Bass get a lot of love on talkbass.com. It appeals to all the DIYers who like to get a good quality, cheap bass then upgrade the pups/electronics/bridge. I believe there is a model that is like either a 32" or 30" short scale which is another reason why SX is pretty popular. You should go lurk there. If you search, sometimes the brand is known as "Essex"

check this thread out...

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=385940
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

I own an Sx jazz, it is o-kay, but you can probably pickup a better used bass for that $ or a hair more.
          "told you guys that spandex, hairspray and makeup on guys was a bad idea, and now look what happened - you all turned into women." - Newc

Comment

don't do it...get a tuba ..same thing.
            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I have an Ibanez (OMG! Ibeenhad!) SR-505 on order.

Was checking out lots of basses with our bassist last week and found out how much fun it is to play bass. And I fell in love with this particular bass.

Since I record my own band and we're starting with the bass soon, I think it will also be very helpful to understand this instrument a little better and to get some firsthand experimence about the different sound possibilities and the difficulties you can have (especially when playing with fingers).

Can't wait to get it! I already got blisters on my right hand's pointer and middle fingers from trying out so many basses.
              http://www.myspace.com/officialuncreation

Comment

I have a used Yamaha RBX 264 that I got off of Ebay for $76 shipped and it is much more playable than a J-style bass. It's nice for a guitarist who's playing bass on the side. I don't know what a "real" bassist would think of it but I like it for the money I paid. I also think you'd probably do better for your money getting something used in good shape. The SX line have an okay rep for cheap instruments but the fretwork for one is spotty, I've heard of people slicing their hands the first time they slid up the neck. Others have said it was fine on the ones they got, but the point is it's hit or miss. I don't know if Rondo will pay the return shipping on one with bad fretwork or not. That might be a question to ask before ordering if you're set on an SX.
                Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

I can do my own fretwork and have an SX guitar that I like so it's more a question of J vs. P vs. something else vs. skipping bass and learning a different style of guitar playing.

Comment

Is price an issue..I've owned Kubicki, Alembic, Pedulla, Ken Smith, Zon, Warwick, Rickenbacker, Stingrays, Yamaha BB3000s and more basses I can remeber.

My G & L L2000s were the best basses.. hands down!!!

Nothing feels and sounds like them..you don't even need an amp to record. The built-in preamp and Magnetic Field pups are untouchable in power, punch and versatility...It is greatest bass that Leo Fender has ever designed.

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by thetroy View Post
                      I can do my own fretwork and have an SX guitar that I like so it's more a question of J vs. P vs. something else vs. skipping bass and learning a different style of guitar playing.
                      J is more versatile instrument, clearer tone and better for slapping, tapping, soloing etc.
                      P is a true rock animal, great growling tone wich fits well with distorted guitars
                      pay a little bit more and maybe you can get used G&L L-2000 Tribute (cheaper Asian version) G&L makes the most versatile and ballsy sounding basses I've ever heard. L-2000 is basically a J+P+Musicman (but also goes easily into Ric, T-Bird, Alembic etc. territory)
                      "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Endrik is speaking gospel...the book of bass.

Comment

I have a bass or two. But I just picked this one up for free.:ROTF: I just had to do this. I tried my trailer but this is so fett.
                          I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Fett, I never saw a fish with down syndrome before..but I love it..because we're all god's creatures.

BTW, I wonder if I could fuck its blow hole?

Comment

That's a mahi mahi bass.:ROTF: I really do have two basses. One is a Squire Standard 5-string and the other is the one with the skull and crossbones.
                              Last edited by fett; 04-01-2008, 02:47 PM.
                              I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Working...
                              X