My own epic fail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My own epic fail

There's one basic reality that everyone no matter how much they don't want to admit it, some things are simply better left to people with more talent/knowledge/ability.

To all those out there who've built their own guitars, refinished, whatever, Cheers to you!

I on the other hand, am one of those who should really not try to 'do it myself'.

I'm trying to do a re-fin on a model 2, using chemical stripper, etc. The majority of it has gone alright (I can't say it's gone well. it's just ok..) so I started the belly curve today and so far I have only achieved cutting myself, a very likely chemical burn, and a lot of frustration.

Now if I were a smarter man, I would either A) dig a hole, bury the evidence and never speak of it again. or B) Admit I'm fucked and don't know what the hell I'm doing and simply pay someone else to finish this.

Now, here's the problem A) I have a penis, and being of the male gender there's rules I must abide by such as never admit I'm fucked and down' know what I'm doing until such a time as medical or emergency attention is required. and B) I'm embarrassed that I am getting defeated by a piece of wood. male ego's a bitch.

What I'm actually going to do: Give up, and just order a neck and body from Mojo and call is a day.

Sorry I basically had to verbally kick my own ass for a moment. I know 'm not alone in this sort of fail. I'll work on it more this weekend but sheesh. I can barely re-wire and set up the damn things dunno what made me think I could refinish one (lol)
    In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

Hell, you should have seen the first body I tried to refinish.
    I used a power sander!!!
    Never, ever use a power sander to strip a body.
    It was so bad I tossed it in the can.

But at least you can say you tried it.
    No go have a beer and call it a day.
    -Rick

Comment

I always use a sander. I use 80 grit paper and I take my time. Its hard to strip a paint job with the store bought stuff. You need commercial grade stuff.

Comment

I didn't let the paint cure long enough so I have impression from all the hardware in my paint.
        2009 Les Paul Kit - GFS Dream 90 (N), SD Seth Lover (B)
        2009 Gibson Les Paul Worn Brown
        2009 Epiphone Studio Deluxe
        2008 Epiphone Custom - SD P-Rail(N), Fat Pat (B)
        2008 Ovation Celebrity CC48
        2007 Agile AL3000 - SD Alinco II set
        2005 Epiphone Standard - SD Pearly Gate (N),SD Alinco II (B)
        2004 Epiphone Custom Plus Top
        2004 Gibson SG Faded - Stock
        1997 Epiphone Slash Snakepit
        1995 Fender Strat - SD Lil 59' Bridge, SD Hotrail Middle, Stock Neck

Comment

Chemical strippers are the only way to go IMO.
          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I only use paint brushes and rollers with semi-gloss latex paint on my guitars...they come out beautiful!
            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I've never had a "fail", on a strip-job.
              I've rattle canned a couple, enough to know it's a waste of time and money.
              I'm gradually building up to be able to spray them properly. Got the compresser, a couple of guns from a very generous JCF'r, now I need a couple more little things and paint.

Stripping: common chemical stripper sold at big box hardware store.
              It won't get it all off. Rough up the hard spots with 80 grit, by hand, then apply stripper again. And, remember the working time of strippers is limited, too soon, no effect, leave it on too long, it can make things harder. And get some heavy duty neoprene gloves! Common latex gloves will fall apart. If you get "burned", use plenty of cool water and aloe vera. Just don't get burned! If it gets down to scraping, clean off the stripper and use leather gloves.
              Rattle cans can work, it just takes a very long time. Best to stay with clear finishes.

Comment

My first and last paint project looked an orange peel when it was "done" I never re-did it, I just parted it out. I was picking orange paint out of my nose for a good week after I gave up lol, and its still all over my garage. I've decided to leave painting to the pros.

You could try finishing off the stripping with a sander, staining the body, and using a satin clear coat on it. At least then you'll only have to worry about not fucking it up as opposed to making it look perfect. Just a thought.

-Steve
                Guitars:
                '04 Jackson SL1 - Flametop Cabo Blue Trans Burst
                '94 Charvel Predator - Fire Crackle
                '77 Ibanez LP Custom Copy - Black
                Amp:
                VOX AD30VT

Comment

I don't think I'd ever try it so I've got to give it to you to attempt it.
                  I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

I've e-mailed Daneen, she may be able to finish the paint stripping and re-paint it. She did my warmoth so I know she's got talent. I just don't know if this is a lost cause now or not. I'll return to it this weekend and see if I just got frustrated to easily today or if it's really outside the bounds of my understanding at the moment.
                    In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

Comment

Originally posted by eakinj View Post

Now, here's the problem: I have a penis
                      :ROTF:
                      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I stripped and repainted my first guitar 3 times, and it's still not perfect, but it's good enough that I won't do it again.

My second guitar has been stripped, painted and sort-of stripped.....for the past 15 years. It is a PITA. It definitely makes you want to do a good job painting because you don't want to do it over again.

Comment

I've been resisting wet-sanding my rattle can red/clear paintjob Uncle AL put on my Westone two months ago for, well, two months.
                          Hmmm... and Mom said I wasn't any good at math.
                          Or patience.
                          I'll post pics when it's done, regardless of how she turns out.
                          Seems hard enough now, finally.
                          Anyone care to give me any tips before I get into it?
                          Has about 4 coats of clear on top of red.
                          Should be enough to block and buff.
                          (Note added arm cut...)
                          Uncle Al did it all.

I apologize for the thread hijack, but figured someone might have some advice to prevent my own FAIL
                          Last edited by nhspike; 04-17-2008, 10:20 AM.
                          "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
                          --floydkramer

Comment

Here is a great forum you guys might want to look at, hope it's not a repost,http://www.reranch.com/reranch/

Comment

NHSpike I would put more than 4 coats clear on it put 25 coats on. I would also make sure you wait another 2 months once you apply the clear coat before wet sanding the clear coat. The clear coats has to fully cure if not you will ruin the paint job. To remove the orange peeling start with 350 grit wet sandpaper and work your way up to 1500.. I like 2500.. Then after your done wetsanding your clear coat then hand buff
                              it using 3M Perfect-It ll Rubbing Compound Fine Cut, I also use Liquid Glass.
                              2009 Les Paul Kit - GFS Dream 90 (N), SD Seth Lover (B)
                              2009 Gibson Les Paul Worn Brown
                              2009 Epiphone Studio Deluxe
                              2008 Epiphone Custom - SD P-Rail(N), Fat Pat (B)
                              2008 Ovation Celebrity CC48
                              2007 Agile AL3000 - SD Alinco II set
                              2005 Epiphone Standard - SD Pearly Gate (N),SD Alinco II (B)
                              2004 Epiphone Custom Plus Top
                              2004 Gibson SG Faded - Stock
                              1997 Epiphone Slash Snakepit
                              1995 Fender Strat - SD Lil 59' Bridge, SD Hotrail Middle, Stock Neck

Comment

Working...
                              X