X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

25 coats? Wow!
    "POOP"

Comment

(disclosure - I'm no painting expert - do the research)

If you do decide to put more coats on, I think you need to sand the body with 320/400 to give the next coat something to grab on to. This will take out the orange peel.

I had problems applying paint to a smooth finish - the new coats pealed and chipped off easily

Comment

My tech wet sands after each layer of clearcoat. I think the maximum number of layers he applies is eleven.
        "POOP"

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
          Chemical strippers are the only way to go IMO.
          +1

Tried it many other ways and this works the best and is the fastest.

Comment

Originally posted by JetFixxxer View Post
            NHSpike I would put more than 4 coats clear on it put 25 coats on. I would also make sure you wait another 2 months once you apply the clear coat before wet sanding the clear coat. The clear coats has to fully cure if not you will ruin the paint job. To remove the orange peeling start with 350 grit wet sandpaper and work your way up to 1500.. I like 2500.. Then after your done wetsanding your clear coat then hand buff
            it using 3M Perfect-It ll Rubbing Compound Fine Cut, I also use Liquid Glass.
            Damn.
            That's a lot.
            I'm not THAT patient.
            Fuggit.
            I'll live with a matte finish then.
            LOL
            "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
            --floydkramer

Comment

Originally posted by SEEGERMANY View Post
              My tech wet sands after each layer of clearcoat. I think the maximum number of layers he applies is eleven.
              Is he using clear coat out of a can?
              2009 Les Paul Kit - GFS Dream 90 (N), SD Seth Lover (B)
              2009 Gibson Les Paul Worn Brown
              2009 Epiphone Studio Deluxe
              2008 Epiphone Custom - SD P-Rail(N), Fat Pat (B)
              2008 Ovation Celebrity CC48
              2007 Agile AL3000 - SD Alinco II set
              2005 Epiphone Standard - SD Pearly Gate (N),SD Alinco II (B)
              2004 Epiphone Custom Plus Top
              2004 Gibson SG Faded - Stock
              1997 Epiphone Slash Snakepit
              1995 Fender Strat - SD Lil 59' Bridge, SD Hotrail Middle, Stock Neck

Comment

Originally posted by nhspike View Post

I apologize for the thread hijack, but figured someone might have some advice to prevent my own FAIL
                Wow, I like that color!
                In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

Comment

Damn..wow, I need sunglassess..that fucker is bright!!!

cool!
                  "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                  Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Thanks eakinj/Bill!
                    It's not quite that orange in real life, but it depends on what kind of light is hitting it.
                    I'll post more pics once she's all together, and take them outside for natural light.
                    "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
                    --floydkramer

Comment

after doin a couple refins myself I came to the conclusion its too much work and too much mess to dick with Maybe when I'm retired and have nothing but time on my hands to have the patience to do it I'll do it. heck i dont weven want to work on guitars anymore...just want to play em

I've been defeated several times where anger and frustrations got the better of me, I've smashed a couple bodies and threw them in the trash before...
                      shawnlutz.com

Comment

I've already got confirmation from Denny that they'll build a body for the neck I have so, now I just have to decide which one, Demon or Tele. I'm really liking the tele body but damn that Demon is awesome
                        In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

Comment

"Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Working...
                          X