web guys...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• web guys...

i want to develop a new website for my band. the last time i worked on one was when MS front page was cool. i currently have NO web design software. what is a decent new (or slightly out of date) program that is easy to use and gives good results? i am looking at MS expression studio 1 and front page '03 (since i already know front page to an extent). is there anything else out there that is good, afordable, basic, etc.?

i'd LOVE to do a flash site....is that hard and are there any decent programs for a good price?

thanks....
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Say no to FLASH!
    Too much overhead and a pita to maintain.

I still use Frontpage 2003. I tried the new Sharepoint Designer that replaced Frontpage, but I didn't care for it.
    -Rick

Comment

is 2003 much different than 98?
      GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

The most mainstream web-design program today is probably Dreamweaver, it's a excellent program, but sort of pricey. Unless you know where to look for it .

Also, if it's a just a band website, why not just use a blog type program, like Wordpress. Many sites today use wordpress even if it's not for a "blog". It's simple, easy, free, millions of layouts on the net, and if you ever wanted someone to custom make it for you, there are thousands of emo kids willing to make a layout for like $10.
        Originally posted by horns666
        The only thing I choke during sex is, my chicken..especially when I wanna glaze my wife's buns.

Comment

I used NVU for a couple of times, it's easy but you cannot do lots of things like with Dreamweaver. Give it a try, it's free.

Comment

Here comes a long sentence:
            Want to make a fast loading, informative, user-friendly, Google-friendly, searchable (search engines), scalable (font-size) and easily accessible webpage, the way the web was intended? Then don't use flash.

Start using html, css and perhaps php.

I'm with Jacksons Shred. Find a suitable template and go from there. I can highly recommend this Swedish guy's work. Then find an editor you like. Dreamweaver is good, but you could also use a simple texteditor and skim through a few books on the subject. The template will get you started in no time.
            Last edited by jackson1; 05-15-2008, 02:25 PM.
            Henrik
            AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

W3Schools offers free online tutorials, references and exercises in all the major languages of the web. Covering popular subjects like HTML, CSS, JavaScript, Python, SQL, Java, and many, many more.

Comment

Visual Web Developer ( http://www.microsoft.com/express/download/ ) with some "how-to"s here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/beginner/default.aspx

Comment

www.coffeecup.com - used it for years, even though I neglect all my web sites
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by markD View Post
                    is 2003 much different than 98?
                    2003 is much better.
                    Better CSS implementation.
                    The latest version, Sharepoint Designer, looks almost like Dreamweaver.
                    Which is why I don't care for it.
                    -Rick

Comment

I tried Dreamweaver when it was new and found it to generate bloated code. Rather than a simple "center" tag it threw in 64 lines of "table" code to achieve the same result.
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                      X