Another bitch about gas prices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"So hopefully it will be perfectly legal to shoot and kill gas thieves."

My luck I'd miss him, hit my fuel tank causing a massive explosion which would burn up my Suburban, my house, and half the neighborhood.
    "POOP"

Comment

Originally posted by CharvelRocker View Post
      Actually, I would not worry about this. Reason being most tanks on cars made from at least 1990 onward have a filter and screen in the line to prevent siphons. Even if you over filled it slightly, they would not make off with much at all.
      Really? I'd like a link too. Not that I don't believe you, I've just never heard of it.

That would make sense with what Scott is saying though, drilling through the underside of the tank.

Most gas places around here no longer let you fill without paying first. That was the first "casulity" from all this, not having to pre-pay. Too many gas boogies.

I guess shooting gas thieves is next, even if it's a member of your own family. That's a pretty sad story there.
      I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

Drilling a hole in a full gas tank is a very STUPID idea.

Comment

Originally posted by thetroy View Post
          Drilling a hole in a full gas tank is a very STUPID idea.
          Agreed. Use a cutting torch, it's quicker.

We've got these all-purpose metal cans (gas, oil, whatever you want in 'em) at work that have a brass screen just under the spout to prevent splashes and act as a filter.

One good shove and they pop right down into the can.

If that's what they're using in cars, then the same would be true.
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

It may not be a tamper resistant design documented on paper and spoken of at a automotive press release, so to speak.
            Even so, the nozzle on the gas handle at the pumps are smaller than what they use to be.
            As well, the hole is smaller on vehicles, meaning I couldn't forcibly stick, insert, gouge a garden water/siphon hose if I wanted. The hole is way smaller than garden hoses.
            Then you have the tiny (I have no idea what its called) shiny flat piece you see before you stick the nozzle in. In other words, you can insert a small enough hose/tube in BUT you probably won't be able to successfully quickly pull it out, because of that flat piece catching and grabbing on it.
            Making it difficult for a fast, smooth and quiet steal and getaway, along with car alarms the slightest nudge with some alarms set it off. Why then put yourself ( speaking as a thief) out there and go through all that? I know I wouldn't. Its not worth the risk.
            Last edited by Soap; 05-28-2008, 06:37 PM.
            Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

I had to change a few fuel pumps in a couple GMs and Fords and both had nothing in the fill hose that I saw. The GMs were 91 , 94 , 96 and a 99 , the Fords 91 and a 97 .
              Mike
              --------------------------------------------------------------------
              SLS TG // SLATQH TSB // 2 CS Soloists both 24.75 scale // 5 Archtop PROs //

Comment

Originally posted by SEEGERMANY View Post
                "So hopefully it will be perfectly legal to shoot and kill gas thieves."

My luck I'd miss him, hit my fuel tank causing a massive explosion which would burn up my Suburban, my house, and half the neighborhood.

No, you couldn't. Gas tanks do not explode unless you cease fire with a machine gun ,several times.
                I wish my hair-color was EDS :/

Comment

just one gallon of gas will cover the cost of a smaller dia. PVC hose. My car has one of the gas cover you open from inside the car. i'll be fucked if some ass prys that open to get gas and i have to pay to get that fix from the dealer. i wonder when they are going to make "The Club" for gas caps.

The other thing is never have your tank full so if you do get boosted, it wont be such a hit.
                  ...that taste like tart, lemon yogart

Comment

When I scrapped out one van for another, the old one still had a half a tank full of gasoline in it. It's a 35 gallon tank. Siphoning, (actually pumping) that 17 gallons into the other van took forever! It took a good 30-40 minutes of using that stupid siphon just to get it done.

Comment

• Originally posted by Norton View Post
                      Gas tanks do not explode unless you cease fire with a machine gun ,several times.
                      I know I've had several after work drinkypoos, but I'm not sure the above statement makes sense. Regardless, I was trying to be funny. Guess I'm gonna have to go back to posting pics instead.
                      "POOP"

Comment

• Originally posted by Norton View Post
                        No, you couldn't. Gas tanks do not explode unless you cease fire with a machine gun ,several times.
                        I think I saw something on Myth Busters about that ...... But I can no longer watch that show .... never!

thanks again Vince

Comment

• Originally posted by ABSOLUT CHARVEL View Post
                          I think I saw something on Myth Busters about that ...... But I can no longer watch that show .... never!

thanks again Vince
                          "Gas tanks do not explode unless you cease fire with a machine gun ,several times."

Yea, I saw that episode and it's damn near impossible to make a gas tank explode with a bullet. It's his sentence that has me confused. "Cease" means to stop. So, let's re-do the sentence. Gas tanks do not explode unless you stop firing with a machine gun ,several times.

"POOP"

Comment

• Originally posted by SEEGERMANY View Post
                            "Gas tanks do not explode unless you cease fire with a machine gun ,several times."

Yea, I saw that episode and it's damn near impossible to make a gas tank explode with a bullet. It's his sentence that has me confused. "Cease" means to stop. So, let's re-do the sentence. Gas tanks do not explode unless you stop firing with a machine gun ,several times.

Thanks for clearing that up, even thought i still don't get it

Comment

• Me either!
                              "POOP"

Comment

• 1) American Oil companies are NOT making huge profits. Yes, Exxon's net income was 40.6 billion for 2007, but their profit margin was only 10%. A 10% profit margin for a company of that size is not too great, in fact, I'd put it on the low side. In comparison, Google and Microsoft's profit margins were close to 30% last year. So oil companies are hardly making a killing (in the US).

2) US represents close to 5% of the worlds population but uses 25% of the worlds energy. Most of it is excess and a complete waste. Don't believe me? Check auto sales and you'll see that SUV's and trucks make up 50% of the market.

3) The credit crisis which lead interest cuts weakened the dollar even more. When factoring in inflation, oil prices haven't gone up as much as they seem. Not to mention, most GCC nations that the US imports it's oil from has their currency pegged to the US dollar, inflating prices even more.

4) DEMAND IN EMERGING MARKETS!! Besides India, China, and Brazil there are dozens of other nations with 5-10% economic growth that are in demand of energy. In China, every 2 people out of 1000 owned cars, now it's getting close to 18 out of 1000. Factor in construction, infrastructure growth, etc. and it all adds up.

5) Increasing supply takes A LOT longer than most people think. You can't punch a bunch of numbers into a computer and immediately start pumping out more oil, it's a long process that many companies are already undertaking. Saudi, Kuwait, Libya, Bahrain, and a few other countries are taking measures to increase production, but it will take until 2010-2015 to complete. Other OPEC nations such as Venezuela, Nigeria, Angola, Iran, and Iraq are limited in changes they can make due to obvious reasons; unstable government, war, politics, etc.

In Turkey filling up a gas tank costs $200 in a medium sized car. Most people there only make 2-3 times that amount a month!

Oh well, we'll just have to adjust our lifestyles and limit consumption until everything balances out again, eventually.

edit: For people saying "we need to start drilling" need to realize that once you hit oil (if you do), it generally takes YEARS (sometimes up to 10) before it gets put into a system of refining, packagng, and selling.
                                Last edited by Lev; 06-03-2008, 02:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X