Anti Virus Software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What about Kaspersky? Anyone?
    "You have a pud..your wife has a face. Next time she bitches..I'd play cock bongos on her cheeks..all four of them!" - Bill Z.
    I just just had a sudden urge to sugga dick..! If I wore that guitar and didn't suck male genitalia..somethin' is very wrong! - Bill Z.

Comment

Kaspersky, is a very good virus software in itself.
      However, it doesn't always play well with other apps.
      In my experience with it, its inability to play well with others apps are the result/s of random reboots. I can't stand random reboots. I removed it and went back to Norton (which at that time I didn't want to do) and random reboots stopped.
      I knew it wasn't hardware related because I don't put cheap hardware in my PC's.
      You pinch pennies with Memory and PSU's and you will experience reboot/stability issues.
      Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

AVAST,AVG, NOD32, KASPERSKY all have received a 100% awards from VB100...

I wouldn't recommend the new AVG 8.0 if you are a power user because it sucks.. If you get a false positive on a folder or file you won't be able to access that file. AVG will not release it. Plus it's more intrusive with it's pop up telling you upgrade etc.. Thats why I don't like the new Adaware.. Same BS.
        2009 Les Paul Kit - GFS Dream 90 (N), SD Seth Lover (B)
        2009 Gibson Les Paul Worn Brown
        2009 Epiphone Studio Deluxe
        2008 Epiphone Custom - SD P-Rail(N), Fat Pat (B)
        2008 Ovation Celebrity CC48
        2007 Agile AL3000 - SD Alinco II set
        2005 Epiphone Standard - SD Pearly Gate (N),SD Alinco II (B)
        2004 Epiphone Custom Plus Top
        2004 Gibson SG Faded - Stock
        1997 Epiphone Slash Snakepit
        1995 Fender Strat - SD Lil 59' Bridge, SD Hotrail Middle, Stock Neck

Comment

I use McAfee Enterprise.
          A work requirement, but I have been virus free for years.
          -Rick

Comment

I use avast! on both of my computers. It works well, is free, and is pretty non-invasive.

Comment

I use Eset.It intergrates with Windows very easy and I have never had a virus since I started using it............
              Straightjacket Memories.Sedative Highs...........

Comment

I've been using Norton 2006 and prior to that 2003. Rarely had a problem. With Ad-aware and spybot I've had little to no probs. Although I did buy another stick of ram with norton 2006 because it does like to suck on system rescources.

Comment

AVG Free here too.. works for me..

Comment

Best anti virus is GET A MAC!!!

When I was bound by windows I used PANDA antivirus. Id switch back and forth between Panda and Norton. One would find stuff the other didnt etc. Both found tons of stuff that got by the free anti spyware software. Panda was the best though. It didnt use up the resources like Norton did.

Comment

Best anti-virus is common sense. I haven't used anti virus software since 1996 and have never gotten a virus.

If you must use one, AVG or Avast have good reputations. Stay away from Norton and McAfee.
                      Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
                        Best anti-virus is common sense. I haven't used anti virus software since 1996 and have never gotten a virus.
                        i think common sense goes a long way and is indeed the best defense.

but that doesn't prevent you from getting infected if someone on your network downloaded a virus and the virus takes advantage of a buffer overflow vulnerability on your computer that hasn't been patched. and before you say you keep your patches up-to-date, can you say 0-day exploit?

i've been happy with AVG. I use the pay version because of all the stuff it comes with and it lasts for 2 years.

there is this other cool program called LinkScanner that checks websites to see if they've been hacked to try and install malicious software onto your computer.
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

Originally posted by SeventhSon View Post
                          but that doesn't prevent you from getting infected if someone on your network downloaded a virus
                          It does when my network consists of me and my wife

In the corporate/university setting antivirus programs definitely make sense. Home use, not so much.
                          Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
                            It does when my network consists of me and my wife

In the corporate/university setting antivirus programs definitely make sense. Home use, not so much.

Huh?

dude, I don't care HOW computer savvy anyone thinks they are, if your PC is hooked to the internet, and you DON'T have antivirus software, you're playing with fire. And when there's decent FREE ones? Then not having one is just stupid. All it takes is one little virus, embedded in a site, and you're screwed.
                            I'm not Ron!

Comment

This question was just asked on another forum...here is my reply:

PC Cillin by Trend Micro. Consumer Reports magazine tested all of the major anti-virus systems and PC Cillin came out #1 in every category. AVG free failed miserably. I read a 'computer industry' magazine that had Norton coming out in first place...but PC Cillin was not in the test. Not hard to see there was a payoff there!!

PC Cillin also does not bog down your computer like Norton. There used to be a section on Trend Micro's page called 'housecall' where you could have them remotely scan your system.

Anyway, it was recommended to me by a computer genius when I first got a computer in 2002 and I have never used anything else...except for on OTHER people's computers...how can ANYONE use Norton? It is a pig. As for MacAfee or whatever that one is called-someone I know who uses that and always has it up-to-date just had a virus get through and cause him terrible hardship.
                              My Duncan Designed pickups are way better than Seymour Duncan regular pickups you fanboy.

Yeah...too bad the forum doesn't have a minimum IQ.

Comment

Originally posted by Racerx2k View Post
                                Huh?

dude, I don't care HOW computer savvy anyone thinks they are, if your PC is hooked to the internet, and you DON'T have antivirus software, you're playing with fire. And when there's decent FREE ones? Then not having one is just stupid. All it takes is one little virus, embedded in a site, and you're screwed.
                                I'll take my 14 year track record of having the computer connected to the Internet with no viruses as proof of my not needing an antivirus program. You have to give permission (at least since IE5) to let any embedded program on a website run. Don't know what it is? Then don't click the "Allow" button. Simple enough.

Of course, since I'm on Vista I use IE7 with Protected Mode, so even if I am an idiot and install some malicious web control, it is physically impossible for it to get to my computer, since IE7 runs in its own sandbox.

If you are running Vista and IE7, and you haven't disabled Protected Mode and/or UAC, then you are completely safe from any hidden viruses or spyware.
                                Scott

Comment

Working...
                                X