• Time
  • Show
Clear All

hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe.

One of the Best SNL Skits Ever!
    I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
      I don't quite remember what I was doing when the movie came out... I was only 5. :ROTF:
      "POOP"

Comment

Another thing I LOVE about this movie and I thought of this while walking home on my lunch break listening to the soundtrack on my iPod. The movie doesn't cheese out at the end. Everything is NOT alright. Nothing changes except they have a dead friend. Nothing. Life still sucks.

So many movies make the mistake of wrapping it up in a nice little ball and everything is peachy in the end. Life isn't like that so I appreciate those kinds of movies that don't sugarcoat life.

Comment

I was in 9th or 10th grade when it came out. Maybe to the 5 year olds at the time it didn't matter much but in high school you had basically two camps. The Disco crowd and the Rock crowd. I happened to be the Rock crowd and looking back I think I made the right dicision Its not like you either were into Disco or out of luck. There was lots of other choices thankfully. I refused to go see that movie because I couldn't take the Disco crap. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go find that 45 of "Disco Sucks"
          Rudy
          www.metalinc.net

Comment

Rudy,
            That's funny, I was thinking of that song as I was writing the first post!

It's that devisiveness that interests me. Not seeing the movie because you didn't like the soundtrack. I think it's hard for those that weren't aware in the 70's just how devisive Disco was. It was more than just country vs. rock thing. There was some intense hatred there.

Which I guess I don't understand very well. Disco was going to be the death of music. At least that's what the other side said. I remember reading one of the bitches there was for Disco was that some thought it didn't take tallent to compose Disco tunes and that 1 guy with a computer (keyboard) was doing it. Not musical if 1 guy is doing all of it.

Wonder how all those feel about House music?

Comment

I was in the 8th grade when it came out and I hated disco. When the PG version hit the theaters, the hottest girl in school asked me out to go see it. No brainer. I actually thought it was a good movie. Vinny Barbarino did a good job, and it didn't turn me or her into disco dance freaks, nor did we turn into transvestites after going to see Rocky Horror a few years later.

Comment

I was 2 in 1977. LMAO.

I always thought those chicks in the Bee Gees were pretty good singers tho.

As much as I have always detested everything that was popular in the 70s (I blame being poor & having to wear all that Brady Bunch crap to school a decade after it was cool), I agree that a lot of those disco tunes hide some sweet bass lines.
                |My CSG gallery|
                (CSG=AlexL=awesome)

Comment

Oh yeah, you are absolutely right about the intense hatred that existed between Disco and "Real" music at that time. I never thought it would be the death of music because all you had to do is look around you in High School and around Haloween half the kids dressed up as Kiss, remember Kiss Alive II was huge at that time as well. Boston came out in 1976 and was very big for several years, the ground breaking Van Halen debut of 1978 was something to witness! Saturday Night Fever as well as all these other albums of the time were not big just during the year they came out but rather for a few years after and so there was some overlap in what was big in any one given year. As the 70's progressed there were tons of other big albums and live stuff was very popular. Frampton Comes Alive in addition to Kiss, Led Zep The Song Remains The Same, Rush 2112, Aerosmith Live Bootleg, and on and on. That was some fantastic stuff that got a lot of radio airplay on AOR (Album Oriented Rock) stations. So it wasn't just a few diehard musicians listening to this stuff. It was as mainstream as SNF was.
                  The part about Disco not counting as music, well we say the same thing about rap now and they both deserve it
                  Rudy
                  www.metalinc.net

Comment

Rudy,
                    HA! Good post.

I remember "real" music snobs looking down on me because I liked KISS. My friends older sister actually turned me on to Rush because that was "real music" to her, not KISS. My brothers were always buying me albums by The Stones, The Who, Clapton, Allman Bros, Cream, Led Zepplin, Boston, just about anything to get me off KISS. They thought KISS were sellouts that were more into the look than the music. While that may be true now, I don't think it was for the first 4 KISS albums. Those are my 4 favorite KISS albums.

But you could not escape that Fever Soundtrack. It was everywhere. But the Album Rock stations were playing Rush and Zepplin and Boston and whatnot. Not so much KISS but all the other 70's staples were there.

But the soundtrack was the biggest selling album of all time. Until Thriller came out.

Comment

You just reminded me what a good movie Detroit Rock City is.
                      |My CSG gallery|
                      (CSG=AlexL=awesome)

Comment

I was too young to see Saturday Night Fever when it came out or to get into the tunes (though I do remember seeing the promo vid for "How Deep Is Your Love" on The Merv Griffin Show), but I started listening to music around 1980, when the disco backlash hit full force, and so never got into it at the time. Plus, it was only shortly thereafter that I was picking up albums like Back in Black and Animal Magnetism.

Looking back, though, the soundtrack is great. Regardless of all the shit they took, the BeeGees had some great songs. Plus, "Disco Inferno" is one of the greatest grooves ever constructed. There was crap disco, to be sure, but compared to the shitty computerized dance music of the '80s, disco was great stuff.

The movie? Pure cheese.

Comment

I was -5 when it came out, so no memories of it, but I can't help but not sing along to "Stayin' Alive".
                          Scott

Comment

i really could have done without the 70's. Disco was a painful time for me. Maybe i was just too white and could not dance. hated the big collars, wide leg pants and the polyester. and i could not roller skate to save my life. It was when I went to a club in Palm Springs that i saw the light! It was in the early 80's, it was hot, the girls were hot, and Go-Go dancers in day-glo Ho wear .... then all of a sudden Tainted Love by Soft Cell was being played. That shitty computerized dance music of the '80s was a god send compared to Disco. And yes, I got layed that night.
                            ...that taste like tart, lemon yogart

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal View Post
                              It's a slice of life movie about these kids that live for dancing on the weekend. It's about the kids first, dancing second.

But what do I know? What do you think? Classic piece of cinema or just complete crap?

I agree, I just rented it a month ago, very good movie, good stories subplots etc.,

Comment

Originally posted by pro-fusion View Post
                                Plus, "Disco Inferno" is one of the greatest grooves ever constructed. .

I agree %100 on the groove, although I associate "Disco Inferno" with Woody Harelson and KINGPIN!!!! Haha! I loved Kingpin, but I won't even try to call it a classic

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Working...
                                X