Credit card block......ahhhhhh!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Credit card block......ahhhhhh!

Gotta vent here regarding something that happened today.....

Last night I ordered a Blu-Ray player from walmart.com. I made sure to order last night because it was the last night for a special promo where you got a free $100 gift card for buying a Blu-Ray player. So I ordered the player and everything seemed a-okay.

Today I got an email from Wal-Mart stating that the order had been cancelled because my credit card payment didn't go through.

I called my credit card company (Citicards). They advised that they had put a block on my account due to some potential high risk charges. I verified all of the charges and they were legit. They advised that the Wal-Mart funds were actually still in "pending" status, which means they had been marked to be processed, but hadn't yet.

So I called Wal-Mart back and explained the situation. The person I spoke with was very friendly, but very dingy....frustrating. Long story short, she agreed to extend the promo for me and reprocess the order so I would get the $100 gift card. Then she checked and the player is now sold out, so they can't do anything.

I called my credit card company and explained that I have no problem with them blocking my account as I understand it is to help reduce fraud. But here is the problem: my account has been blocked two or three other times in the 12 years I've had that credit card. Each time I have called to clear the block, I have asked why no one called before placing the block because it can create frustrating or embarassing situations. Each time they advised they indeed are supposed to call before placing a block. And they advised that they should have called this time as well.

Here is what I asked for: since they didn't call before placing the block, I lost out on a $100 gift card. Plus, the player is now out of stock, so I won't get a player. Also, other places are charging about $50 more for the player. So I'm out all that along with time and frustration including over an hour of my time today on the phone. I asked if they would credit my account in the amount of $150. I also mentioned how I've been a card holder for 12 years, spend quite a bit of money with the card, and pay like clockwork.

I got hung up on........ahhhhhhh!

Keep in mind I was very direct, but also calm and friendly throughout the whole process. So I called Citicards again and re-explained the whole situation with the woman who answered. She was totally stumped. She kept explaining how the block was for my protection. I kept saying how I fully understand that and have no problem with it, but they didn't keep their end of the bargain by calling me and now I'm out around $150. She wouldn't budge, so I asked for the cancellation department.

I spoke to somebody who actually spoke clear English and was intelligent and friendly. He advised that he is going to type a request and send it upstream to his superiors.

It'll be interesting to see what happens. I spend many thousands of dollars a year with my Citicard. I also have a business Citicard where I spend tens of thousands of $$ a year. I wouldn't think they'd want to lose my business. I don't really want to leave Citicards because overall I've been happy with them, but I might just based on principal if they don't do something to rectify this situation. The guy did drop my interest rate, but I always pay my full balance every month so that's not worth much to me.

Anyway, I just had to vent. Thoughts?

Chad,
    That's frustrating but for your protection.

The player was out of stock anyway so even if the card company would have put it through, you woudn't have gotten the player or the gift card, right? If that's the case, I don't know why you asked for $150 from the card company.
    I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

When I ordered last night, it was in stock and the $100 gift card promo was in effect. They cancelled because the payment wouldn't go through. Now the player is sold out and the $100 promo is over.

Bottom line: had the card not been blocked I would have got the player and the $100 gift card.

Comment

If you can get a credit card company to cut you a check for perceived losses, you are my hero.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad View Post
          It was in stock last night when I ordered and the $100 promo was in effect. When they actually went to process the order today the player is sold out and the $100 promo is over.

Bottom line: had the card not been blocked I would have got the player and the $100 gift card.
          Even though the website said it was in stock, it may have been gone by then. I've ordered what I thought was in stock only to get an email a while later saying they were gone only to go back to the website and see they say they are still in stock. Who knows.

I'm with Axe, if you get them to give you money, you're my hero too.

Comment

There is no such thing as customer service in most industries now. Potential new customers are treated better than long-term existing good customers. It's all a bunch of shit.

Good luck!

Comment

Hero? ha!

Yeah, it'll be interesting to see what happens. At my business, I often baffle coworkers by getting vendor problems resolved way beyond what they ever saw as possible. I'm a somewhat reserved person, but can be very firm, direct, and persuasive when called for.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad View Post
                Hero? ha!

Yeah, it'll be interesting to see what happens. At my business, I often baffle coworkers by getting vendor problem situations resolved way beyond what they ever saw as possible. I'm a somewhat reserved person, but can be very firm, direct, and persuasive when called for.
                See, that's my problem. I have a loud voice so most people on the phone think I'm yelling at them when I'm not. Add that to the fact that I get angry very easy with people like that and I'm usually doomed.

I had good luck with DirecTV once.

Once.

Comment

My whole family refuses to do any business with Citibank (we've all been screwed by them in one way or another)... so good luck getting anything from them. I would try Walmart again and see if a different operator is able to help you.

Comment

I bought tickets to an Yngwie concert years ago using my credit card. Yngwie was a no-show, and the venue refused to refund my money. I tried to get a refund through VISA. They had me on hold forever, then I had to fill out extensive amounts of paperwork. I would not let them wear me down! I made xeroxes of the tickets, I had a phone log of every conversation, I saved every single email. I generated a massive amount of swirl that lasted for months. We're only talking like $30 here lol! In the end...they ruled against me, with no explanation. So...good luck.

Comment

Next time use an American Express card.
                      -Rick

Comment

Tens of thousands of dollars - just a drop in their bucket. No offense meant. I hope the do the right thing, but if I were a betting man, I'd put my money on them keeping theirs.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                          If you can get a credit card company to cut you a check for perceived losses, you are my hero.
                          You won't be my hero, but I'll be pretty goddamned impressed.
                          "POOP"

Comment

Even if it's not in stock anymore, if a company offers a promotion for some products up to a certain period, they are obliged to give it to you, even if it means they have to buy new stock at higher prices. You should still get it at the advertised price. That's how it works in Belgium anyway. So if she extended the offer for you, they should still give you one. Don't know if that policy holds up in the US tho.

Comment

Originally posted by SlasZ View Post
                              Even if it's not in stock anymore, if a company offers a promotion for some products up to a certain period, they are obliged to give it to you, even if it means they have to buy new stock at higher prices. You should still get it at the advertised price. That's how it works in Belgium anyway. So if she extended the offer for you, they should still give you one. Don't know if that policy holds up in the US tho.
                              Not that way here at all; sales literature carries a disclaimer that the sale is limited to stock on hand. That's how they get you to get off your ass and get to the sale early on.

Then, typically, they say "Sorry, we're out of that model - but THIS model has even more features and is only $50 more!". Such is American retail.
                              Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X