X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyboby else hear like marino?

god this guy was slaying on the guitar back in the 70's
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=-nzna-QPmqM
    If it's not a CHARVEL then i dont want to play it,look at it or even fuckin THINK about it!

I like him. Saw him in the 70's with Nugent and Aerosmith. Opened up for them and was better then both. I didnt know who he was and this guy comes walking on the stage at the beginning of the show ,I thought he was the guitar tech. Just starts rippin on what looked like a Gibson SG. Then the rest of the band came out and I was hooked from there.

Comment

Check out 1974's "Child of the Novelty" by Mahogany Rush. Back then, Frank was ripping mostly on a Fender Strat.
      "POOP"

Comment

I really liked his stuff alot back then, but i'm able to appreciate it even more now. Poppy is a great jam as well. Great thread...

Comment

My first actual guitar hero right before Eddie. I was baptized by the Frank Marino & Mahogany Rus live ablum in early '78. I have all his stuff on cd from Maxoom to Eye of the storm.

I saw him live three times..he didn't bother to play the fourth time because 10 people showed up, including his band. That was about 10 years ago when nobody gave a shit 'bout guitar.

I Emailed him back then on my sister's PC and he answered me back. I wanted his 80's released on cd..just a couple years later they were @ 25 bucks a pop.
          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I discovered Mahogany Rush by accident. My buddy at the music store kept telling me about this cool three piece band called "Rush." My dumbass couldn't remember exactly what he said and the minute I get to the music store, I spied the Child of the Novelty album. "Hmm, three piece band, Canadian, this has got to be it!"

A week or so later, my buddy is asking me what I think of songs like, Finding My Way and Working Man. I remember thinking that one of us must have the import version!
            "POOP"

Comment

Canadian pride!!!!
              I listened to a couple of Marino albums during my jazz/fusion/progressive stage.
              I really liked his compositions and a couple of his songs I really liked. {Don't recall them right now.}

Among the genre of "eclectic" players, as I like to call them; he's right up there with Mahavishnu Orchestra and Uli Roth's Electric Sun.

For me, Sabbath, Budgie, UFO, Purple and Uriah Heep were the order of the day when Marino came about, so he kind of got lost in the fold.
              G.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                My first actual guitar hero right before Eddie. I was baptized by the Frank Marino & Mahogany Rus live ablum in early '78. I have all his stuff on cd from Maxoom to Eye of the storm.
                Same here except the live album is the one that i heard first and then it was like being on heroine! had to get dose after dose.
                I used to put the turntable on neutral and spin it real slow by hand to figure out what was then truely sick fast blues licks that no one was doing like that
                shortly after ED came out with the first record and i was like "JEEZZUSSS!
                did this guy get lessons from frank or something?"
                I really think ED got some of his "fire" from frank
                frank had/has that "rowdy,aggressive blues feel " i hear a lot on VH's first record. like on "im the one"
                anyone ever hear the story about frank taking LSD and then having jimi's spirit take over him?
                many swear that frank got much better on the axe after this incident?
                dont know if its true but it sounds wild!
                anyway i cant believe how UNDERRATED the guy was then and now
                at least we all know about him
                If it's not a CHARVEL then i dont want to play it,look at it or even fuckin THINK about it!

Comment

Frank cooks !!! Always did !!! I've been into him since the 70's !!! Ok, duely dated !! Who cares !!!

Comment

And to think he has sunk so low as this :

http://www.frankmarino.com/
                    So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

HAHAHA!! That's funny.

But on the topic of Frank Marino, guitar player....one BADASS dude!!

Comment

wow ,

\he did all of that and led the miami dolphins too ?????
                        Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

what does marino hear like?
                          I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

I hear exactly like Marino - with my ears. Too bad I can't play like he does though....

I saw Mahogany Rush open for Styx, not sure what tour but it was mid-70s I guess. Frank played an SG and was awesome! His "possessed by Jimi" story made good reading in Circus magazine back then!
                            Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Frank Marino is still tearing it up onstage. He starts a new batch of tour dates in a few days. I'm going to see him on July 20 at the Birchmere, in Alexandria, Va. I've seen him several times since he resumed touring a few years back. If he comes anywhere remotely near you, I HIGHLY recommend checking him out--you'll get three hours or so of blazing guitar right in your face. Here's the current list of tour dates:

Last edited by pro-fusion; 07-08-2008, 06:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X