Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Re-discovering bands you used to like but lost track of.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-discovering bands you used to like but lost track of.

I guess we all have had it, really big on a band, then you get side-tracked for a couple of years and then suddenly you hear something new from that band you used to like and went "WHOA!"

In my case it was Iron Maiden, as a twelve year old with my very first electric guitar I really was into them and "Somewhere in time" and "Seventh son of the seventh son" were my most played albums in my tiny collection of LP records. But then Guns N roses released "Appitite for destruction" and I found that heavy rock could be easy to play. And a few years after that Alt Rock broke and I was loving it. My mediocre skills on guitar didn't really matter anymore.

But that changed when I was watching MTV Europe's "Most wanted" as hosted by Ray Cokes in the mid nineties one evening. (This show was not a request show like the MTV USA show with the same name, "Most wanted" was a live show where Cokes would do silly stuff and have cool bands performing.) And Maiden was there with two faces I didn't recognise, Janeck Gers and Blaze Bailey. And then they started playing THIS song.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=883dH84Qz10

At first I went wide eyed and then I got up from my chair and started headbanging. And after the song was done I went "DUUUUDE! I need to check that album out." After that evening I was a born again metal man. "X-factor" is one of those albums that brought me back where I belong and although Blaze Bailey could never replace Dickingson, nobody can deny that this song still is a kick ass rocker.

and for those who wonder how it would've sounded with Bruce singing...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OEdIcu8jYI

I hope they'll put it back in their setlist again.

I kept up with all the bands that i started out liking
    Last edited by savage; 07-10-2008, 09:16 AM.
    If it's not a CHARVEL then i dont want to play it,look at it or even fuckin THINK about it!

Comment

Maybe Metallica if the new album is good!

Comment

Originally posted by savage View Post
        I kept up with all the bands that i started out liking
        Yeah, I've got to agree. If I like a band, I'll keep an eye out for new albums and such.
        Scott

Comment

I rediscovered Dokken this way... It turns out I had listened to them all the time when I was a kid, but I didn't know it was them... I watched interviews with George Lynch and everything, and never got it. Then I saw the "In My Dreams" video and just totally understood! It was a great afternoon of rediscovery.
          - Andi Kravljaca -

Comment

Parliament/Funkadelic. Had forgotten all about them, then listened to some of their records a while back, still in a disco/funk phase right now, for like two months now.
            You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Working...
            X