High Blood Pressure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High Blood Pressure

After another trip to the hospital I found out I am borderline High Blood Pressure. Any of you guys got any tips for me. I would really appreciate it.
    www.myspace.com/mortality

re-evaluate your diet.
    cut out the salt.
    have your doctor help you with recommending a good exercise regimen.
    monitor your blood-pressure.

goodluck! take care of yourself.

Comment

^ What Em said.
      Scott

Comment

I too had this type of situation , absolutely cut out the salt ,I also eat lots of fresh garlic (I know it's been disputed the health benifits for cholesterol (but good for the heart )I also try to eat quality fish 1 a week (I think it's omega 3 oils (or something )

I would definitley try to work on dietary changes before taking prescription drugs (they may cause anal seepage (hahahahaha)
        Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

Exercise if you already do not.
          Lose some weight if you are overweight.
          Eat fruits/veges if you already don't and instead of saturated fats, and reduce the salt.
          And the #1 thing you can do to improve your health if you are a smoker is to stop smoking.
          "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

I have found that the doctors don't know anything about High Blood Pressure other than to prescribe meds.

they should be first prescribing nutrition plans/nutritionists. If you can, see if you can get on a plan or get one while picking up the excercise.

If you have put some weight on, that is probably it.
            It sounds stupid, but if I go over 176 lbs @ 5'10", blood pressure rises with every lb.

No amount of salt or excercise changes that for me until I get to the magical 176.

Of course those changes do aid in taking off and keeping off weight, so they are good things to do.

It seems to me through my "unscientific method" that this type of blood pressure occurs in people that tend to build weight in the upper rib-cage area and not folks that grow giant booties, or bellies. Barrel-chested folks that appear to be quite healthy.
            When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it. I had gained about 50 lbs over the last couple of years but had always stayed pretty active. I definitely need to re-evaluate my diet and get into a workout regiment. I dont get my health insurance till September 1st so till then I will have to try to do it on my own or go to an emergency room. Been looking online for some diet tips as well.

Pete

Comment

I remember being a young punk kid it seemed like all the old people around us had high blood pressure. The advise we would give them was "Take it easy... Pops!"

It only seemed to aggravate the malady though after advice was given...

Comment

Self-trepanning works.

Apparently.
                  So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

good idea to do some googling on diet recommendations for lowering your blood pressure.

good call from Jay on the garlic and omega-3 fatty acids (found in fish, also can be taken as a supplement if you don't like fish), both are very good for heart health.

also... stop drinking sodas. they're ridiculously high in sugar and sodium, and don't be fooled about diet sodas. they're still high in sodium (if not moreso than reg sodas).
                    all processed foods and fast foods are high in sodium (and fat) as well.

Comment

Originally posted by AK47 View Post
                      I remember being a young punk kid it seemed like all the old people around us had high blood pressure. The advise we would give them was "Take it easy... Pops!"

It only seemed to aggravate the malady though after advice was given...
                      Lol, I got that at work this morning.

Prior to coming back to work I was out for 2 days because I had gone to University Hospital here in San Antonio and waited in there waiting room for 30 hours without being seen. Although they did check my vitals periodically, I was amazed that I wasnt the only one that had been there that long. Now I know that being there for up to 24hrs is the norm at that hospital. I took myself to another hospital where I got seen immediately and was at least able to see a doctor who suggested diet change and excersice as well.

Pete

Comment

Best way I know to lower blood pressure is to not get all worked up over the shitty volume knobs on the new Charvels.
                        "POOP"

Comment

Originally posted by Emthrax View Post
                          good idea to do some googling on diet recommendations for lowering your blood pressure.

good call from Jay on the garlic and omega-3 fatty acids (found in fish, also can be taken as a supplement if you don't like fish), both are very good for heart health.

also... stop drinking sodas. they're ridiculously high in sugar and sodium, and don't be fooled about diet sodas. they're still high in sodium (if not moreso than reg sodas).
                          all processed foods and fast foods are high in sodium (and fat) as well.

Best advice ever..exactly what I did. My blood pressure was thru the roof @ a 6 cans of coke a day habbit, and I put ALOT of salt on everything. It was so fuggin' high one time my doctor was freakin' out and called for an ambulance..which made me freak out even more. They came took my preasure ..stuck a nitro pill under my tongue and rushed me to the hosptal. Then I had to run on that treadmill thingy like a hamster..it was cool.

I cut our most of the pop and used "salt sense"..oh, and xannax.

I'm good now tho..
                          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I've actually been working on my diet over the last month. Ive gone from to 245 to 229 by cutting out the sodas, fried foods & adding more fiber to my diet. I love fruits and vegetables so that wont be no biggie. But what type of fish would be best and is grilled chicken ok as well?

Comment

While people mean well, and not to be an ass here, but speaking from my experience ... for some people exercise and diet are simply not enough. Some of us have actual medical conditions that have to be treated.

I know you don't have insurance, but you really should get blood tests done by a GOOD doctor to determine the cause of your high bp.

It's not always cholesterol either, in my particular case I have a good diet, stay active, but I have really high triglycerides (fat in the blood) that developed in my late 20's and even though I can lower them somewhat by cutting out as much saturated fat in my diet as possible, I still need to take 5 different medications a day to stay alive.

It took going to a good D.O. to finally find out what the cause of all this was, and get properly treated, I tried everything else listed here, and nothing worked. I'm not trying to scare you, but don't take your health for granted, high bp is one of those things that can sneak up on you, especially if you are not getting checked out regularly by a doctor. You don't notice it as it starts to creep up, your body adjusts, until it gets too damn high and you feel like shit because you are now in the danger zone.

Please talk to a good doctor, I cannot stress that enough, they can even help you get meds (IF you actually need them) for free from the drug companies, I know, I had to do it as well when I didn't have insurance or enough money to pay for them. Call and ask around, find a doctor who understands your situation, and is willing to put the forms in for you.

Hopefully yours isn't serious, but it's best to know asap so you can counter-attack the cause and get to feeling and living better.

Dangit, If only you lived about 100 miles south of S.A. I would point you to my old Dr.!

Comment

Working...
                              X