Wii are so stupid.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wii are so stupid.

So my kids save up enough money to buy a Wii - actually they are a few $$ short of the $249 that I remembered it should cost.

I check online to be sure that the store will have one, and it turns out
    Gamestop
    Best Buy
    Circuit city
    Walmart
    Fry's

all are sold out unless you buy some stupid $577 combo.

This is retarded. Surely a manufacturer can make enough of these to have some store in stock. I mean, it's not like everyone in town is making a run on them right now, is there?

It seems like they have been sold out since they came out.

Same for the PS3, no one had them in stock in May when we looked for one.

Weird way to run a business - when I went into Game Crazy, the guys said hardly anyone asks about PS3 stuff, but they are always sold out of consoles and half of the games.

Is there a reason for the short supply on Wii's? Something new come out that people just "had" to have?

I have thought the console situation was pretty stagnant since all of the games have been Battlefield 1942/Quake ripoffs for Xbox and PS for years. Just some nifty graphics improvements, nothing great.

The only thing nintendo has going for it is kid friendly games AFAIK.

Oh well, craigslist it is. And at a discount anyway if I time it right, I'll save $50 by buying a Wii off some college kid that can't afford gasoline.
    When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Nintendo makes roughly 10 million consoles a month. They sold 666,000 in the US last month; the rest go to Europe and Japan. It's hard to believe that they are still selling out almost two years after release, but it's true. They claim they're making them as fast as they can.

I think the current hot game for the Wii is Wii Fit, which is also sold out everywhere. Before that was Mario Kart, then Super Smash Bros., then Mario Galaxy, etc., etc..

I believe that the reason they're sold out everywhere still is because it's easy to get at least $300 for one on Ebay. Until people stop paying over retail for the system, the Ebay sellers will continue buying them all up.

It took me 3 weeks of checking stores every day, but I did finally get one last November.
    Scott

Comment

I think PS3 stuff is always sold out because stores don't order much of it, so even if
      they don't sell a lot, it still "sells out". I've noticed PS3 stuff does not hold seem to hold it's value, which is a sign of this. Conversely, Wii stuff sells out because there is lot more demand than supply as it's popular with kids and conservative parents, and the fact it can offen be flipped for profit.

Comment

Just wait till you actually buy it, and every game looks suspiciously like Pong and Skeet Shoot from the old days.

Comment

I'm in California. I have yet to see the local Target sold out of Wii. I picked mine up at Best Buy.

so far for me it's a 250 dollar bowling game. I picked up a couple others and they are a pain in the ass to play. Mario Cart made me so pissed off I almost tossed the wii into the recycing. the controls on those games are pretty bad at times. but the bowling, and baseball games that come with it are actually pretty fun.
          In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

Comment

Ive seen wii's and PS3s in stock at walmart all the time.
            Gil

Comment

they were sold out at Xmas time, but all the stores I go to here have them.

I am on the fence what I should get, I like WII but I can't kill anything yet with tits or that's in a stroller, so I'll probably get a PS3 or 360 again, but my better judgement says buy a better computer?

so I don't know.

C

Comment

The bundles are store promotions, not manufacturer deals. Stores create bundles so they can move the games and peripherals that would otherwise end up on their clearance rack, because they know they're overpriced already.

Packaged bundles (i.e. everything in one box that came from the factory that way, such as the Xbox 36 bundle with 2 games inside) are a different story, but those are usually free with the system and can sometimes be the same or less than the system alone. I bought a 360 Pro/Premium with Marvel Ultimate Alliance and Forza 2 in the box for $50 less than the Premium system alone brand new from WalMart.
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by eakinj View Post
                  I'm in California. I have yet to see the local Target sold out of Wii. I picked mine up at Best Buy.

so far for me it's a 250 dollar bowling game. I picked up a couple others and they are a pain in the ass to play. Mario Cart made me so pissed off I almost tossed the wii into the recycing. the controls on those games are pretty bad at times. but the bowling, and baseball games that come with it are actually pretty fun.
                  +1. The Wii my wife stood in the rain to get before christmas has not been touched in months. I bought a 360 a couple months ago and there is no comparison. My 8 year old loves Halo and I can't stop playing Gears Of War. Online, Xbox can't be touched IMHO. Hopefully my 3 year old will use the Wii in the future.
                  "told you guys that spandex, hairspray and makeup on guys was a bad idea, and now look what happened - you all turned into women." - Newc

Comment

Yep best bet is to hit up craiglist for those items. I tried getting a Wii from the store for a couple of weeks and ended up getting one off the list. Daughter played with it for about 2 weeks and then lost interest. So I ended up selling it and getting her a XBox 360. She seems to like that alot more than the Wii. I like the PS3 myself but tend to watch more movies and listening to music on it than actually playing games on it.

Pete
                    www.myspace.com/mortality

Comment

My biggest beef with the Wii is that it doesn't support high def resolutions so if you have a nice new 1080p television it makes the games look blocky as hell.
                      GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

My main problem with the Wii is that the controls are not accurate enough. It ruined the gameplay in almost every game I played.. The classic controller isn't that great either, because the wire is connected to the bottom of the thing, making is somewhat uncomfortable to hold.
                        "I hate these filthy neutrals! With enemies, you know where they stand. But with neutrals... who knows? It sickens me!"

Comment

Originally posted by AfterForever View Post
                          My main problem with the Wii is that the controls are not accurate enough. It ruined the gameplay in almost every game I played.. The classic controller isn't that great either, because the wire is connected to the bottom of the thing, making is somewhat uncomfortable to hold.
                          Really? I've found that the controls are sometimes too accurate. I've also noticed large differences in controls between games, which leads me to believe that the controller itself can be very sensitive, but if the game software ignores that detail then it can come across as bad. A lot of the third party launch games were guilty of this (Call of Duty, Red Steel, etc.).

If you're using the classic controller for virtual console games, I'd see if I could find a wireless Gamecube controller ("Wavebird"). Its receiver plugs into the top of the Wii itself, so there are no cords.
                          Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
                            My biggest beef with the Wii is that it doesn't support high def resolutions so if you have a nice new 1080p television it makes the games look blocky as hell.
                            Well, you can only render 16-bit graphics in Standard Def. HD Mario is a wasted effort.
                            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

PS3 rules.

I don't understand why they can't keep these wii things in stock. You can't find one here easy in Des Moines, Iowa.

I think they are doing it themselves. Driving up demand with low supply.

But Nintendo is cool. I liked Nintendo. Then I got hair on my balls and moved up to a man's machine.
                              I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

Working...
                              X