Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's "official" - Dean leaves Dean

From Blabbermouth...

DEAN ZELINSKY: I Can No Longer Attach My Name To Quality And Direction Of DEAN GUITARS - July 22, 2008

Dean Zelinsky, founder of Dean Guitars, officially announced today that he has parted ways with the company that he founded in 1976, which still bears his name. (As first reported by BLABBERMOUTH.NET on May 8.)

Having sold Dean Guitars in 1991, Zelinsky played an integral part in the brand's recent resurgence in popularity, effectively putting Dean Guitars back in the limelight after becoming re-affiliated with the company in 2000, during the tenure of its recent owners.

Zelinsky, discussing his not yet announced new venture, stated today, "I wanted to get back to what put Dean on the map originally — building high-quality instruments that shape both the image and tone of guitar players, from the beginner to world-class professionals." Regarding Dean Guitars, Zelinsky says, "I can no longer attach my name to the reputation, quality and direction of Dean Guitars or its current objectives."

Zelinsky stated the announcement with details of his new venture will be released on Tuesday, August 26, 2008.

Ohio.com reported in early May that the University of Arkansas had gained licensing control over Dean's Razorback electric guitars, commemorating late PANTERA/DAMAGEPLAN guitarist "Dimebag" Darrell Abbott who was killed during a show in Columbus, Ohio.

Dean Guitars created the line and began selling the guitars after the 2004 death of Abbott. He was known for performing with a razor blade around his neck.

In 2007, the university sued, claiming the Razorback guitar brand infringed on the school's copyright. The Arkansas athletic teams bear the Razorback name.

A settlement filed on May 6, 2008 gave the university licensing control over the guitars, but Dean gets to keep selling them.
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT

That speaks volumes I think about the company.

Comment

I've been hoping for an IED to take him out.
      Without a doubt the ugliest guitars ever known to man.
      I consider him an embarrasment to the guitar playing world.
      Mr. Patience.... ask for a free consultation.

Comment

So where will Dave Mustaine go to next??? :ROTF:
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Some one mentioned this sometime ago, I guess this is the official statement. Glad to see someone over there has a conscious.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
            To the highest bidder...
            Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

Dave is and always has been a big NNG guitars user, we just can't afford the magazine ads, or his hair dresser.

Comment

Back to Jackson with knees bent, hat in hand?

Comment

I've heard of several products using the "razorback" name including Razorback Boats. I can't believe UOA sued a fucking guitar company.
                  "POOP"

Comment

At one time, his son Justice had an endorsement with some smaller guitar company. Maybe Davey can backdoor a deal!
                    "POOP"

Comment

That was San Dimas guitars. A venture started by Lloyd from Guitar Express if I'm not mistaken.

Comment

Which I can find no trace of either anymore.

Comment

Here ya go. http://www.lloydprins.com/ I guess he can't use the San Dimas name any more.
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I think Dean lasted a fair old while after he took the bait and sold out. Normally these company founders last, oooh, about 5 minutes after they have cashed the cheque before they realise the Evil Wong Corporation are going to take their baby in another direction (usually up the arse). Patrick Eggle, Trevor Wilkinson, etc etc, where are they now? It must be a shit not being able to use your own name, even in a "made by Mr X" type of way.
                            So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Maybe after 3 years of new dimebag sig's he finally got fed up...

Apparently he's been out of the loop for a long while now...

Comment

Working...
                              X