Need some career advice.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some career advice.

Well as some of you may know I'm currently working at GC as security. I've been trying to get back into some other position like i was before my former boss screwed me over.
    Anyway. as we all know Best buy just opened thier versin of a music store. I've been hearing about thier pay in that dept. which is almost double what im making now. They have great benefits from what ive heard. But i dont know if the music thing will fly for long with best buy at the helm. Altho with the right people anything will work. So I've been contemplating that. Then today a friend of mine i used to work with at GC several years ago and at Music go Round. calls me. He asks me how much i hate my job. And says Washburn guitars is hiring setup techs. And i hsould get my resume ready and apply. It is more normal hours and would work better for taking care of my mom then my current schedule is. So do I go for the higher pay day or do the thing i love for less money and a longer drive every day? Im confused. any help would be apreciated.
    Gil

I say, do what you love to do as long as it brings home the rent. I don't know your age, but can promise you this, If you hate your profession you will hate your life. Today's money counts, but not as much tomorrow's future. What will be best for you in the long run?

Comment

Originally posted by paige View Post
      I say, do what you love to do as long as it brings home the rent. I don't know your age, but can promise you this, If you hate your profession you will hate your life. Today's money counts, but not as much tomorrow's future. What will be best for you in the long run?
      Wow, that's some great advice. I've been working in a job I hate for over 20 years and playing music on the side. Always thought the music would take over, but not yet.
      A job is what defines your life, at work and out of work. If you hate it, then you are always just wasting your time.

my 2 cents.

Comment

Work at something you love and you'll never work a day in your life.

But, the reality of your financial situation will have to be considered seriously. Dreams are nice, but not when they don't pay the rent.
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Police..you can't beat the perks and benefits. They even take care of you if you're seriously hurt..
          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I would check out the deal at washburn. They may even have some Job advancement . ( and you play J/Cs)
            BUT with someone like you at the best buy you would probably help it become successful.( don't know if I have ever seen a best buy employee with long hair)
            Sorry not helping.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
              Work at something you love and you'll never work a day in your life.

But, the reality of your financial situation will have to be considered seriously. Dreams are nice, but not when they don't pay the rent.
              +1
              www.myspace.com/mortality

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
                I would check out the deal at washburn. They may even have some Job advancement . ( and you play J/Cs)
                BUT with someone like you at the best buy you would probably help it become successful.( don't know if I have ever seen a best buy employee with long hair)
                Sorry not helping.
                However, if you're going to do security at Best Buy, and not sales in the music department, you will most likely be working with not only morons, but morons that don't care.

If you'll be in the music department, you'll still be working with morons who don't care, but at least you'll be the shining light in the sea of darkness.
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I'd stay put at GC and give Washburn the resume. If the Washburn job falls through, then look at Best Buy. Just don't burn any bridges so if the Best Buy decides to cancel the music section you'll have the option of going back to GC.
                  Scott

Comment

Originally posted by JACKSONFREAK View Post
                    Well as some of you may know I'm currently working at GC as security. I've been trying to get back into some other position like i was before my former boss screwed me over.
                    Anyway. as we all know Best buy just opened thier versin of a music store. I've been hearing about thier pay in that dept. which is almost double what im making now. They have great benefits from what ive heard. But i dont know if the music thing will fly for long with best buy at the helm. Altho with the right people anything will work. So I've been contemplating that. Then today a friend of mine i used to work with at GC several years ago and at Music go Round. calls me. He asks me how much i hate my job. And says Washburn guitars is hiring setup techs. And i hsould get my resume ready and apply. It is more normal hours and would work better for taking care of my mom then my current schedule is. So do I go for the higher pay day or do the thing i love for less money and a longer drive every day? Im confused. any help would be apreciated.
                    Gil
                    I'd say look at your options. Put your resume out. If an offer comes up, weigh that against your current situation.

In regards to Washburn, GO FOR IT!! I've had my resume in to them for years and have never received a call back. If you've got an "in" you're golden!
                    Occupy JCF

Comment

work pays for my music. I would rather my music pays.

Comment

You should become a rock star. Apparently there's piles of cash, girls and drugs in it, not to mention private planes, country mansions and vintage Aston Martins.
                        So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Thanks guys I appreciate the input and suggestions so far. Theres some great advice here. Im not gonna quit my current job at GC until something else happens. (ie washburn), And Im pretty much thinking what several said. Im not bailing on GC and im gonna put my resume in to washburn. And wait to see what happens. The if that falls through and GC still hasnt made any changes for my benefit in a career there. Then I'll check into best buy. But yeah i may have to cut my hair. As ive never seen a best buy employee with long hair either. I guess i have to figure out how to do a resume again its been at least 10 years. This should be fun.
                          Gil

Comment

I may have seen a Best Buy employee with long hair. Don't cut it unless you have to. Just put it back in a ponytail when you go for an interview. Hell, I work for a large telecom company and I've got hair way past my shoulders. I always wear it pulled back, but that's just a minor trade-off.
                            Occupy JCF

Comment

Yeah it's in a pony tail 95% of the time. It gets in my eyes if it isnt. But the ladies love it. So im keepin it

Comment

Working...
                              X