Slayer vs. Pantera

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LastInLine View Post
    Great poll. Pantera hands down for me. I never enjoyed Tom Araya's vocals where as Anselmo's voice was (is?) brutally powerful. It added a whole other dimension of heaviness to that band. Dimebag's tone (rythmn guitar) was equally as heavy yet their songs had a bit more, do I dare say, "melody"? Slayer songs were always a bit too chaotic to me. I suppose that's what makes it enjoyable to Slayer fans but it's been said before: fast doesn't necessarily = heavy.
    good post
    Guitars... Rhoads RX10D
    Amp... Pioneer
    Effects... Boss ME-20

Comment

oh yeah, um i can't believe this coulda been summed up in two words... Dave Lombardo

Comment

Originally posted by Evol View Post
        My mistake earlier, it was a Megadeth shirt, not Skid Row, regardless, he has no right to wear the Peace Sells album cover art upon his body, so I fixed it up a little :

This is what happens when you let Sebastian Bach do your hair before a show.
        Nice bracelets and sweat band Phil! What happened to all those "tough guy" tats? Ohhhh, n/m those come with the "tough guy" marketing image package on the next album!
        Hey, apparently Slayer experienced the 80s too...

I never got into Slayer. Pantera for me. Call Phil Anselmo a prick/poser/etc all you want, but that was a dynamic fuckin' vocal style he had.

Besides, Dime >> the Slayer boys any day in my book.

Comment

Hey what's this shit... I tried to post something and it told me my post would have to wait until it was approved by a moderator?! :S

Comment

I'd go for Slayer although i love Pantera's glam times more than the other times of both bands
            -Wouldn't it be better if you made this amp stronger and number it to 10?
            -*Ponder* This amp goes to eleven...

Comment

Originally posted by slash-ed View Post

:ROTF::ROTF::ROTF::ROTF::ROTF:

Nice pic! Thanks, I needed that.
              I'm not Ron!

Comment

Originally posted by slash-ed View Post

Yah but Slayer was still always Slayer, they didn't play that glam sounding shit, then play fast and heavy to give the false impression of being "tough". They kicked ass from the get-go and haven't let up.

Face it, Pantera was a reverse sell-out band, even they admit doing it.

Comment

Pantera +1....Dime kicked ass. Tried to get into Slayer...but just couldn't. Both are heavy duty...but it's Dime's playing that kept me a Pantera fan.......And I'm still pissed Dime never did a solo when I saw them tour with Black Sabbath (Revolution is my Name Tour). WTF was up with that!?
                  Last edited by dd3keegs; 07-27-2008, 07:52 AM.

Comment

This is a flawed poll. Apples vs Oranges FTW! It's like arguing which is better of Black Sabbath and Led Zep.

My personal choice would be Slayer. They were more groundbreaking than most other contemporary metal bands I can think of, and always walked their own path. Although I'd hate to put Pantera down in any way, I think Slayer has made a "bigger dent" than Pantera in the history of metal music. But I also think Slayer's music is a lot more "difficult". I know many people who like Pantera, but when you ask people what they think of Slayer, you'll find that they either love them or hate them.

Comment

I love both bands. They are totally different types of music (although my wife just calls them both noise! ).
                      Pantera has the cool powertrio thing going which Slayer doesn't have. Like when Dime solos over the walking bass line like Floods or Regular People. That kills! And yes, Dime is a better overall lead player than Jeff/Kerry, but their solos fit the music perfectly.

In recent years, I've listened to more Pantera than Slayer, but overall I've listened to wayyy more Slayer which is why I voted for them.

Combining elements of both bands gives good results too, like Machine Head (before they went nu-metal), --> see Burn My Eyes, but that's another thread!

BTW, Dime didn't have a solo spot during the last tour with Sabbath, cos Phil wouldn't allow it (from what Vinnie mentioned in an interview.) Actually, I don't remember Dime ever having a solo spot the 4 or 5 times I saw Pantera.
                      "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

I don't get the apple and Organges thing really. I would say as far as judging subgenre's which metal has more of than any other genre of music Slayer and Pantera have to be close. It isn't like we are talking Warrant and Venom here that would be able and oranges IMHO. Slayer and Pantera are pretty much teh same game Pantera was just the tail end of that game.
                        I keep the bible in a pool of blood
                        So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

Tetsuo: Well, they feel like apples vs oranges to me at least. Granted, they are categorized into the same sub-genre - but I really think both bands' music defy categorization (aside from just "heavy metal"). Both bands have very different approaches to music, and they sound drastically different from one another. Pantera always appealed more to the masses, while Slayer was a "niche" band. That draws a nice parallell to your "Warrant vs Venom" example.

Comment

Venom!!!!!

Unless I'm getting some bint to dance for me, then it has to be "Cherry Pie". Ever seen a lap-dancer try to be sexy whilst dancing to Venom's "Die Hard"? Hilarious.
                            So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Reign In Blood sucked. Slayer sucks. Kerry King's tone is terrible - it's even worse than Randy's.

No contest. Pantera crushes Slayer.
                              I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

I'm really surpised to see how many people here prefer Pantera. I would've never guessed.
                                "I hate these filthy neutrals! With enemies, you know where they stand. But with neutrals... who knows? It sickens me!"

Comment

Working...
                                X