Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about a bass tuning...I'm confused.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about a bass tuning...I'm confused.

Our new bass player has a 5 string. We tune one whole step down, to D standard. I've been told (by our other guitar player) that unless we tune down to B, he can't use his 5th string. Now, my theory is, the bass itself was built to be tuned to E, and the 5th string worked then, why can't it work if we're a whole step down?? But, if that's the case, no 5 string bass can be used unless its in a band that tunes down to b?? Confused.

You're not the the only one confused by that statement! If the bass is a regular 5-string, then the 5th string (largest, lowest note) is tunes to B, and the 4th to E. I don't why you can't just tune all the strings down 1 whole step.

If he's tuning the bass with the 5th string to E (like a guitar without the high E), then just do the same thing,..tune everything down 1 whole step. Am I missing something here? It seems simple enough.
    "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

The bass player needs to tune his 5 string A-D-G-C-F from low to high and he'll be fine. Not sure why your new guitarist thinks otherwise but he is incorrect.
      Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

you can tune anyway you want... all the strings whole step down... 4 strings whole step down and B string the same...

the best option IMO is to leave the standard tuning... you have the low D on B string's 3rd fret. tuning down takes away some of the precision, punch and clarity specially from the low B string... it can make the sound muddy
        "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Thanks guys I appreciate the help.

Comment

Last edited by texasfury; 01-11-2012, 10:38 PM.
            Just a guitar player...

Comment

Working...
            X