• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by khabibissell View Post
    http://metallica.com/index.asp?item=601119

Kinda mellow guys... listening now.
    it changes a couple minutes in it clocks in at just under 8:00 long
    Last edited by Thrust; 08-21-2008, 01:11 PM.

Comment

Half the song was kind of, err... pointless? The beginning mellow section was good. Kinda reload but good. The rest was pointless with a lame solo. Thanks for posting though.
      I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Comment

what the hell is that!! the unforgiven again!! i agree with thrust that its the best i heard since the black album. but not as good as the black album and i dont really care for the black album.

Comment

Originally posted by jdr94
          wh-wh-wh-what!? the best albumn is def. not the black album!! come on now. any of the first three put the black album to shame!! ah i guess it just depends...to each their own but most people that think the black album is the best usually started listening to metallica on that album.
          I said the best "SINCE" the black album.

Comment

As a guy who's been slamming them for years, I've gotta say that I was pleasantly surprised. I never liked them as a rock band, and that was an actual metal tune. My hat is off to them for making something that sounds like Metallica rather than trying to chase an audience & figure out what's popular. I hope the rest of the album is more of the same or even a bit more up-tempo. At least maybe it'll help push some of that Nickelback, Puddle of Mudvayne (or is it Muddle of Pudvein?) soundalike shit off the radio for a while.

Comment

I thought it was decent. The second half was pretty cool, as has been said, when they were finally rocking out. Can't say I care too much for the vocals, though. Its nice to hear that Lars re-learned what a snare is - although its definitely sounded better, I think its just because of low quality streaming audio that it didn't sound too great.

Comment

Can't stream audio at work...what album would you say it's most like?
                Scott

Comment

Originally posted by thebigz View Post
                  I thought it was decent. The second half was pretty cool, as has been said, when they were finally rocking out.
                  +1 - Holding out hope for the rest of the album, but then again, I have been for 20+ years since their last listenable effort...
                  Crime doesn't pay. Neither does lutherie...

Comment

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
                    Can't stream audio at work...what album would you say it's most like?
                    It's reminiscent of all their previous works + some new stuff thrown in.

I'm diggin' it quite a lot, especially for the single, which has never been the strongest track on the previous albums.
                    You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Not bad. reminds me of the Black Album and some AJFA. I don't think Kirk though quite had the devastating solos though from AJFA on back. Must be due to him trying to solo without a wah rehab Enjoyable track. Could of been better, could of been worse, but I'll at least probably buy the album now once it comes out,

Comment

That ending is kicking my fucking balls.

Fuck that shit sounds good.
                        You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

I think the beginning is a little lame. Sounds like it's off Load or Reload until it hits the 4:00 mark, then it reminds me a little of stuff from Kill 'Em All, Ride The Lightning and MOP, with a little twist of St. Anger thrown in. Could have been better, but it was pretty decent.
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I was thinking this song really, really sucks and yes Metallica is dead until the end when they finally shut up and started rocking. If they would just take James's mike away they might just be listenable again.

Comment

Ive been looking forward to hearing it, we caught it on the radio, and am listening again.

First of all, let me say that Lars is the lamest drummer in the fucking world. How is it possible to get progressively worse year after year? Doesent anyone in the band have the balls to say anything to him?

James seems to be still stuck on his "whiny" singing style... which is a shame, because he was THE most powerful vocalist ever black album and pre.

The song itself feels very much like load era in the beginning... their tone is a bit better though, sounds like theyre using a bit more gain again. The later part of the song 3:54 and it starts to kick in pretty good, but the solo riffage is damn nice, good groove, best part of the song IMHO. though the solo is Kirks usual predictable style... no ooohhs and ahhhhs with this one, but hell, atleast it has a solo.

Overall, I think one of the main downfalls of the song is the drums... they are lame and simple. Some of the stupidest "fills" Ive ever heard, its almost like Lars only has a bass drum and a snare, no toms? WTF. Same 1-2-3-4 beat thought the whole song, no off beats like the days of old... Could have added so much more in the opening instead of just two consecutive hits... hes lacking feeling and originality is really bringing Metallica down. I know KIDS who have been playing 2 years who could run circles around him... and Im not talking just fast double bass, Im talking about tasteful playing. Come on, use the rid once in a while for christ sakes! The closed hihat constantly gets REAL old.

Overall though, hey, its better than St. Anger and may be even better than the Loads!
                              Last edited by RobRR; 08-21-2008, 02:24 PM.
                              Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Just heard it and dashed to punch out for lunch see what everyone elses impression was.
                                I listened to it on a mono clock radio, but sound of the band/mix was good, drums sounded good, nice snare. I actually thought james sounded great, as did kirk.
                                Now the song, well, it is deffinatley better than i thought it would be, it kinda mostly sounds like justice "lite" and a little bit of the black album thrown in there, well the first half sounds like it could have been on the black album, the second half, while entirely disconnected from the first part of the song was very much like justice, but the song as a whole was just like what my impression of the cyanide track, it's very forced and disconjointed, like theyre trying to hard. It just doesnt have that cohesivness that just makes it flow like justice (the bands highest point imo, AJFA to me is without a doubt their peak as a band and musicianship).
                                If it didn't sound like they were trying to be this for these fans and that for those fans it would be much better.

i give this tune a 6.5, doesn't suck, but the arrangement is a bit sporadic.
                                soundwise i think was great, at least for thru a mono clock radio.
                                Sounds like Metallica again at least.

Comment

Working...
                                X