Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I finished building drums for my son finally.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I finished building drums for my son finally.

I started these a couple years ago. I bought a junk kit from a garage sale for $40, and sold the Rogers Dynasonic snare for $400. So I decided I'd fix up the rest of the kit for my son who expressed some interest in learning to play the drums. I started out with the original Westbury shells and lugs, but soon decided that the shells weren't up to snuff. Basically, the only thing left from the original kit, is the floor tom shell, and the lugs on all the toms. I just collected the bits and pieces as I needed them, mostly from Ebay. Most of the important hardware is Yamaha, because it's super solid, and easy to adjust. I still need to get him some cymbals and stands, and a throne.

Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Looks sharp, good job.
    Just one more guitar!

Comment

Very Cool Zeegs. I was playing with the boy last night. We really worked up a sweat..that's so cool and just alot of fun to have a live in drummer that actually listens to and plays whatever ideas I suggest!
      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Awesome guitar man, I dig the finish. What kind of pickups are you going to put in it?

Great job, seriously.

Comment

Zeegs..Sabian B8 series has a nice cymbal package. That's what Vin has. He also has those Wuhans pangs and whatknots..pretty affordable...and they sound very nice.
          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Zeegs ,

I told my Pop when I was 12 ,that I wanted to get a drum set.
            He told me I had to learn a real instrument first ,since we owned a piano - it was my natural choice
            I labored through 2 years(IIRC) of instruction -playing shit like the cheers theme and moonlight sonata
            Then this kid moved in down the street ,a guitar player ,we hung out cause he liked to get fucked up too !!!anyway that was my intro to metal in 85'ish.Then I saved enough cash from mowing lawns to buy my first my first shitty guitar(first of many- as a kid I thought quantity beat quality ,plus I could buy cheap guitars anyware !!!!!!!!!!!)

So after I had a son - for his 4th birthday I bought him a set (first act - kid's drums )
            I did that for 2 reasons - you just read 1 , the other is after years of hearing friends come over and say "wow , you know I could really lay a beat down with that "- I decided to call bullshit.Now I've got a pretty cool drum set on hand (in my rehersal room)I've also found that learning the drums - improved my guitar playing............

Boring story short....
            You're a cool Dad

PS - I'll try to take a picture of my kids set (I found using adhesive weather stripping to be a great way of taming overtones on cheap shit !hahahahahaha)
            Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler View Post
              I started these a couple years ago. I bought a junk kit from a garage sale for $40, and sold the Rogers Dynasonic snare for $400. So I decided I'd fix up the rest of the kit for my son who expressed some interest in learning to play the drums. I started out with the original Westbury shells and lugs, but soon decided that the shells weren't up to snuff. Basically, the only thing left from the original kit, is the floor tom shell, and the lugs on all the toms. I just collected the bits and pieces as I needed them, mostly from Ebay. Most of the important hardware is Yamaha, because it's super solid, and easy to adjust. I still need to get him some cymbals and stands, and a throne.

Shit man, I have been a member here for over 4 years now, and all this time I thought you were jump my ass out of a car Canadian. I never knew you had a kid.
              Come and get one in the yarbles, if you have any yarbles, you yunick jelly thou!

Comment

Cool Zeeg. Looks great.

Comment

Nice,Zeegs.......
                  Straightjacket Memories.Sedative Highs...........

Comment

Originally posted by VinceV View Post
                    Shit man, I have been a member here for over 4 years now, and all this time I thought you were jump my ass out of a car Canadian. I never knew you had a kid.
                    LOL. Well, now you know I'm both crazy AND a dad.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                      Zeegs..Sabian B8 series has a nice cymbal package. That's what Vin has. He also has those Wuhans pangs and whatknots..pretty affordable...and they sound very nice.
                      I think I checked those out Bill. I'll probably pick up a set in a couple weeks. I gotta get stands too. The Yamaha hardware is cool because I can mount a cymbal rack stand right to the doodad that holds the toms.

As you can tell, I have all the percussionist terminology down pat.

Comment

By the way, thanks for the nice comments everyone. Ethan (my son) picked the paint scheme. I did a lot of reading on tuning drums, because I find that most drummers I know, even the good ones, don't even know how to tune properly. These things really sound good.

Comment

Working...
                        X