Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Katrina part II

• Mandatory Evacuation

New Orleans mayor orders Sunday deadline as Gustav nears Gulf Coast; flooding may be worse than Katrina| RADAR

It seems like the government is trying to be heads up ?
    Guys in La, Tx, Miss, Al and Fla - whats the local reactions?

other viewpoints also welcome.
    Last edited by Jayster; 08-30-2008, 10:16 PM.
    Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

North Louisiana's hotels are filling up and the local colleges are opening up their facilities for those that can't find lodging. We have several buildings/locations in my area that have been set-up to provide support/supplies.

With the Gulf waters in the low to mid 80s, I have a terrible feeling that this storm may be worse than originally projected. I'm about six hours northwest of New Orleans which means we'll get high winds, lots of rain, and the sporadic twister. Prayers and best wishes go out to all my buds and their families in Louisiana, Texas, Mississippi, Alabama, and Florida.

P.S. Thanks for starting this thread.
    "POOP"

Comment

I'm with you,man.I'm about 25 miles from the Tx/La state line.We have a mandatory evac at 6 am,but the hiway is already filled up.I am gonna stay,ride this one out.Prayers and best wishes to everyone again,Seegermany,Good Luck and try to stay in touch.I agree,this one could really be bad............................
      Straightjacket Memories.Sedative Highs...........

Comment

I'm ready to go.

Got my generator, 30 gallons of gas, snacks, and boarded windows. Sent the wife and kids up with the inlaws (they were already going camping at Toledo Bend this weekend)

Looks like this won't be a lot of fun though....

Comment

Originally posted by Bryan View Post
          they were already going camping at Toledo Bend this weekend....
          Several years ago, I was fishing a tournament out of San Miguel State Park. We were staying up the lake near Converse. A hurricane was brewing in the Gulf and just our luck, the sucker hit the Texas/Louisiana coast which sent severe weather towards Toledo Bend. We never made it to the launch site on Day 2 because high winds had laid pine trees down like tooth picks all up and down Hwy. 191.
          "POOP"

Comment

Yeah I talked to my father in law and he said they're leaving there Monday for that reason. No sense getting caught in a camper during that kind of weather.

Comment

Lots of JCF member in LA, wow! I hope that everything turns out for the better, and that you guys and your family/friends are all ok. My thoughts and prayer go out to you guys! Be safe.
              'Howling in shadows
              Living in a lunar spell
              He finds his heaven
              Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

I have a sign in my front yard that reads "IF YOU'RE A SINGLE FEMALE, HOT, AND UNDER 30, I HAVE A ROOM FOR RENT."
                "POOP"

Comment

get read to bolt. It should get stronger in the open waters today...doesnt look good guys

shawnlutz.com

Comment

Shreveport/Bossier City will be packed with people from the South. For those looking for motels/hotels, you might have better luck checking in Minden, Ruston, and Monroe. From past experience, don't be too picky about your accomodations. In other words, if you find a room, grab it. This is no time to shop around or try and compare. Doing so will almost gaurantee that you sleep in your car.

Even though I'm off Monday and Tuesday, I'm headed to my clinic in Minden to put out some sandbags. I keep 250 covered with a tarp just in case we have flash flooding. That's a bunch of bags to distribute, but if the Jim Beam and Advil holds out, Old G will do just fine!
                    "POOP"

Comment

Originally posted by SEEGERMANY View Post
                      Shreveport/Bossier City will be packed with people from the South. For those looking for motels/hotels, you might have better luck checking in Minden, Ruston, and Monroe. From past experience, don't be too picky about your accomodations. In other words, if you find a room, grab it.
                      the local news in Atlanta is suggesting that we'll also have many residents of affected areas coming here for lodging ..........

Comment

This seemed like some good ideas ;

_ Program numbers for relatives, friends, emergency responders and insurance companies into your phones.

_ Landline phones may work even if the electricity goes out, since they're powered through the phone line itself. However, those lines are vulnerable to wind and water.

_ If disaster strikes, both landline and wireless networks may be overloaded. The capacity for text messages is higher, so use those instead, and free up voice capacity for emergency calls. Sprint Nextel Corp. recommends customers who have push-to-talk phones to use that service.

_ If you need to evacuate, forward your home phone calls to your cell phone.

Comment

One other very important tip. If you see a somewhat empty gas station, top off your tank. It may seem stupid to get gas when you still have 3/4 of a tank, but when you see long lines and people walking down the interstate carrying red cans, you'll be the hero to your family.
                          "POOP"

Comment

"sign coming into Shreveport"
                            "POOP"

Comment

Keeping you guys in my thoughts. Please be careful. This is going to be a bad one I'm afraid.

Comment

Working...
                              X