what have you been working on ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what have you been working on ?

I just spent a couple of hours working on learning a cover song.
    I'm willing to bet some of you guys do to ,so the idea of this thread is to say what you've been working on.include a link.and if you want - talk about areas in the song that you're having difficulty's with...........

Last in line

in the intro there's one chord that is a 7th fret to a 3rd fret stretch ,

---3---
    ---3---
    ---0---
    ---7---
    -------
    -------

anyone know an alternate fingering ?
    Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

You want a nice chord?

E-3-
    B-3-
    G-3-
    D-7-
    A-5-
    E---

And it's not even the big stretches that's hard. Wait 'till we get to close harmony chords.
    You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Thats the chopped version of that song. (youtube link) The intro to the solo is missing.

Comment

Guthrie Govan playing "Wonderful Slippery Thing" in a Clinic in 2004.Enjoy and check out my channel for more cool stuff!Copyrights: Unknown

Ive been working on this one for a while. Showing really slow progress. Itll probably take me 2 years to learn
        If your mum stabbed ya you wouldnt get upset... You would say ' Ohhh shit mum stabbed me! I better go to a hospital'. - Chopper

Comment

Originally posted by thunderhead View Post
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbSVbXfTnOM

Ive been working on this one for a while. Showing really slow progress. Itll probably take me 2 years to learn

Guthrie is the man, I wish I could even attempt to play that stuff.

As of tonight, I'm working on getting this down.

Code:
                |---6--|  |--6--|  |------5-----| |------7-----|  7  7 ---- |--6--|  |--6--|   6  6  6  6  6  6   6  6  6  6   6  6  6   6  6  6  6        
                T   T  T  T  T  T  T   T  T  T  T T   T  T  T  T  T  T  T   T  T  T  T  T  T   T  T  T  T  T  T   T  T  T  T   T  T  T   T  T  T  T  T S   
          E||----------------------------------------------------10-13-17p-13-----------------------------13-17p-13------------------------------17-22---||
          B||------------------10-15p-10----------------------10--------------15-----------------------15-----------15------------------------18---------||
          G||---------------10-----------10----------------10--------------------14-----------------14-----------------14------------------19------------||
          D||------------12-----------------12----------12--------------------------15-----------15-----------------------15p-14----15h-19---------------||
          A||---------12-----------------------12-8h-12--------------------------------17-12h-17---------------------------------17----------------------||
          E||--10h-13------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------||
          Originally posted by horns666
          The only thing I choke during sex is, my chicken..especially when I wanna glaze my wife's buns.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacksons Shred View Post
            Guthrie is the man, I wish I could even attempt to play that stuff.

As of tonight, I'm working on getting this down.

Code:
                  |---6--|  |--6--|  |------5-----| |------7-----|  7  7 ---- |--6--|  |--6--|   6  6  6  6  6  6   6  6  6  6   6  6  6   6  6  6  6        
                  T   T  T  T  T  T  T   T  T  T  T T   T  T  T  T  T  T  T   T  T  T  T  T  T   T  T  T  T  T  T   T  T  T  T   T  T  T   T  T  T  T  T S   
            E||----------------------------------------------------10-13-17p-13-----------------------------13-17p-13------------------------------17-22---||
            B||------------------10-15p-10----------------------10--------------15-----------------------15-----------15------------------------18---------||
            G||---------------10-----------10----------------10--------------------14-----------------14-----------------14------------------19------------||
            D||------------12-----------------12----------12--------------------------15-----------15-----------------------15p-14----15h-19---------------||
            A||---------12-----------------------12-8h-12--------------------------------17-12h-17---------------------------------17----------------------||
            E||--10h-13------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------||
            That's pretty epic sweepage.

I hate those double-barre arpeggios, fucking fingerkillers!
            You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Originally posted by GodOfRhythm View Post
              That's pretty epic sweepage.

I hate those double-barre arpeggios, fucking fingerkillers!
              Yeah man, It's fucking insane.

Thanks Jason Becker, asshole! :P
              Originally posted by horns666
              The only thing I choke during sex is, my chicken..especially when I wanna glaze my wife's buns.

Comment

I'm getting stuck working out the higher harmony part just before the second verse in 'For Whom The Bell Tolls', and none of the on-line tabs I've found either show it, or if they do, it doesn't make any sense...
                Popular is not the same as good
                Rare is not the same as valuable
                Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

In the '90s a good friend of mine had a band called Mata Hari. I tech'd for them for a while until they broke up. I've been bugging my friend about getting that band back together. I recently got a CD of their demo stuff, so I decided to learn the material. Working on a song called "Rumors".
                  Occupy JCF

Comment

My band is working on In My Dreams.

This was at our last practice. The practice before it we couldn't get it together at all for this song. I am not sure I am even doing the solo any justice. It certainly is pushing us to get better.
                    http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

The guys I jam with and I mostly learn stuff that we can nail in a night or two. I'd like to do more challenging pieces, but what can you do.

Last Saturday we did "Cumbersome" by Seven Mary Three, "Freshmen" by Vereve Pipe, and Started "For Whom the Bell Tolls". We recently learned "Rockin' Heaven Down" by Heart (one of my faves).

Not sure what's next on our list after 'Tolls. Whatever strikes our fancy.

- E.
                      Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Napalm View Post
                        My band is working on In My Dreams.

This was at our last practice. The practice before it we couldn't get it together at all for this song. I am not sure I am even doing the solo any justice. It certainly is pushing us to get better.
                        Alot of things caused lynch to stand out as a player all of which I won't get into. However,the opening and main lick "In My Dreams" is a very simple piece to learn and a perfect example to explain the value of the subtle nuances in a song. To emulate George's Dokken stuff including the mentioned riff to sound spot on, it's those nuances that get overlooked that are key. Lynch when with Dokken, was one of the cleanest players I've ever heard. No slop at all. It takes practice to be able to achieve that.

That slide isn't just a mere slide if you will. That slide defines and introduces and catches the power chord in the riff. Right where the slide catches the chord there's a deliberate muting and picking nuance that most miss. Its subtle but its there.

So, when someone plays it and asks, how does it sound?
                        They got the notes right but the sound isn't there because the little nuance/s isn't captured. Such little nuances are in many cases the deciding factor doing cover tunes, and also when trying to get it right when emulating and studing various players. Lynch's, left and right hand technique wasn't only stellar at dampen, quieting and controlling string noise, but he used it as well to add dimension to his writing. Another way or form of expression.

Its not revolutionary by no means and it happens right where the slide ends and the chord is struck, there is/are a subtle nuance. Its a quick muted strike while flipping a quick hammer on to the chord. Also, he's starts the slide with a light percussive up down stroke, striking the string and lightly muting it. Think VH's You Really Got Me opening riff, the percussive up down stroke, but more subtle. Great tune to have fun with. Another tune thats fun is Turn On The Action off the second album. Fun stuff indeed.
                        Last edited by Soap; 09-02-2008, 11:21 PM.
                        Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexL View Post
                          We recently learned "Rockin' Heaven Down" by Heart (one of my faves).
                          that is a great song, I love it! always makes me want to go play a show right then. LOL

I just started tackling Mr. Scary by George Lynch (not for my band, just for fun and to expand my horizons). a year ago, I would not have even attempted this very technical piece, but yesterday I was pretty much able to get the first half of it down, if not very smoothly yet. talk about fucking difficult.

this kind of progress is a real high water mark for me, I'm continually amazed at how much better I've become by playing out so much over the past year.
                          the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Have you ever heard Van Halen's Eruption off their first s/t record..its awesome!

I already learned the first 4 seconds or so. You know, the first part with the drums!!!
                            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                              Have you ever heard Van Halen's Eruption off their first s/t record..its awesome!

I already learned the first 4 seconds or so. You know, the first part with the drums!!!
                              Ha ha, good stuff!

Last thing I tried to learn in the hopes my "band" would agree to try it was "Tear It Down" by Def Leppard. It's an easy song to play, but I want to try doing backing vocals and this song is perfect for that.
                              http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X