I took my son's medication today.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I took my son's medication today.

In case you don't know, my son has Asperger's Syndrome, and ADHD. He's super smart, but also super hyper (we're talking crazy babbling running around type hyper), and has a real hard time concentrating without his meds. He takes a drug called Stratera, which has really done wonders for him.

When he started taking the Stratera, I told my wife that I intended to take one of his pills, because I was always skeptical of giving kids mind altering drugs for things like this, and I wanted to see for myself what the effects were. Well, I did it, and to be honest, I don't know if I'm really happy about it. The effects are dramatic. I feel unsettled. Not exactly paranoid, but certainly not relaxed. I feel wound up. I also feel focused, yet also totally spaced out. It's not completely unlike doing acid. Would you be comfortable giving your 8 year old son acid?

I think I should have done this little experiment a long time ago, when he started taking this medication. I believe at this point, I'm going to look into finding alternate treatments.

And please don't lecture me on the right and wrong. I did this purely out of concern for my son's well being.
    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

I'm not advocating the use of the drug, but remember, you're healthy and your son has an illness. The drug may affect you differently than him. Having said that, I admire the fact that you're concerned enough about his health to research the drug and it's potential symptoms and after affects.
    Last edited by SEEGERMANY; 09-09-2008, 09:55 AM. Reason: Editid beecause Eye kan't speil.
    "POOP"

Comment

Originally posted by SEEGERMANY View Post
      I'm not advocating the use of the drug, but remember, you're healthy and your son has an illness. The drug may affect you differently than him. Having said that, I admire the fact that you're concerned enough about his health to research the drug and it's potential sysptoms and after affects.
      I had thought about that too. I suppose that will indeed have an effect on the overall effects of the drug. Plus, he takes it everyday. I suppose in a way you could liken it to smoking pot, or any other drug that you become accustomed to. Take someone who has never smoked weed before, and give them a joint to smoke. Most people would be too fucked up to function, whereas someone who partakes on a regular basis would be ok.

I have discussed it with him in the past, and asked him how it makes him feel, but he's never really been able to give me a decent explanation. I'm going to try again when he gets home from school. He has said once or twice that he doesn't like taking it, and that's made me feel bad.

On a side note, I just played guitar for an hour, and that didn't seem to be a problem. In fact, I was probably making less mistakes than usual. :ROTF:
      Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

what he said.

did you talk to your doctor about this before taking it? again, that is great that you want to "see" how the drug effects him, but consult his doctor and ask about the desired effects of the drug on your son. i assume you have his blood levels checked regularly. if his blood levels are in the "proper" range, then the drug SHOULD be having the desired effect on your son. taken without the illness, using that drug would have more of a "narcotic" effect (hence your comparison to LSD). if your son is not exhibiting any of the normal side effects, nor any of the a-typical side effects, then his meds are working properly.

BTW - i think that your intentions are awesome and i would consider you a good, concerned parent. keep it up!!!
        GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

I share your concern about giving drugs like that to people, but there is a very good chance that it affects him in a completely different way than it does you.

It's definitely worth looking into more deeply, but I wouldn't go crazy over it at this point.

Comment

Zeegs my singer/bud's 9 year old son has Asperger's Syndrome and also takes Stratera. This also helps him as well.

From what I understand, I think your body adjust to that drug and you won't have that effect any longer. That happened with me the first few times I took certain meds such as Lyrica..man I was fuggin' stoned off my ass the first time I took it. Now, I take two a day and I can't even tell.
            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

zeegler ,

My son has adhd (and has been checked for aspergers)he takes concentra.I've been forking over the money to send him to the sylvan learning center ,this seems to be helping him at school much more then the concentra - as his confidence is building ,we're all noticing more commitment to tasks at hand ,and doing homework has gone from being a battle to something that he can knock out very quickly.We also use the postive re-inforcement policy ,when he completes his homework ,then he can play his computer game (he's 7 years old(I'm also against medicating kids ,but it's definitly helped my son to get to this point))

Just kind of feel out what's right for you ,your son ,your family
              Good luck
              Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

I work in a psychiatric hosiptal with children with various mental illnesses...I have seen both Strattera and Concerta/Ritalin help a great deal with ADHD symptoms. Like it was stated above each child responds differently to medication and someone with ADHD syptoms will respond differently to taking the medication than someone without it. My advice is to observe symptom changes (positive or negative)and report them to the mental health providers working with your family..

Comment

I have heard that these drugs actualy have an opposite effect on someone who does not have the disorder for which it is prescribed.
                  You sir, can go you fuck yourself and don't let the door hit you in the vagina on the way out.
                  You're such a pretencious, phony, boring, transparent, self righteous worthless fuck..You are amusing as a genital wart!
                  --horns666 - 12/08/08

Hey, if those are fake tits..is fake titty fuggin' cheatin'? I say no!
                  --horns666 - 12/29/08
                  I think your dad jacked off in a flower pot and you were born a blooming idiot.
                  --LouSiffer - 06/25/09

Comment

What you did is admirable, but also dangerous. Drugs like Stratera should never be taken without proper diagnosis and a prescription for it. There are too many variables involved for you to get an accurate idea of how that medication affects your son by taking it yourself.

-Steve
                    Guitars:
                    '04 Jackson SL1 - Flametop Cabo Blue Trans Burst
                    '94 Charvel Predator - Fire Crackle
                    '77 Ibanez LP Custom Copy - Black
                    Amp:
                    VOX AD30VT

Comment

Originally posted by joelayres View Post
                      I have heard that these drugs actualy have an opposite effect on someone who does not have the disorder for which it is prescribed.
                      Generally these drugs are designed to counteract a chemical in-balance or deficiency in the brain or blood chemistry. For instance Hormones would be taken to treat low hormone levels in the body that can inhibit growth and development. But taken by someone with normal levels of hormone in their body the additional hormones can cause over development and growth. As we've seen in people that take hormones to build muscle, prolonged use of these drugs can have adverse affects as your body tries to regulate itself, e.g. shrinking testicles.

The same applies to psychiatric drugs. The use of psychiatric drugs when there's no need for them can result in permanent changes in brain chemistry, including brain damage. Given the right circumstances these changes / damage can be permanent after only one use of the drug. LSD for example has been known to cause people to have psychotic episodes after only one use. This is the reason why it takes years, decades of testing before a drug is released to the market.

-Steve
                      Last edited by UFORocks; 09-09-2008, 10:50 AM.
                      Guitars:
                      Amp:
                      VOX AD30VT

Comment

what Steve says above...

See if tyou cna really get your son to tell you how it makes him feel. My son takes a low doseage of adderall...at first he said it made him feel wierd, we took him back to the doctor, told her that and she cut the dosage in 1/2. He's an A student, skater, football player and middle school stud
                        shawnlutz.com

Comment

Stratera is not approved by the FDA for treatment of ADHA or ADD or whatever they call it now but it is a FDA approved drug.

One thing I see is its non stimulant based.

I remember when I was a bad teenager that went to private school I figured out that the active ingredient in speed was methamphetamine which I noticed was an active ingredient in alot of ADD drugs that kids were taking. I was not on any meds as a kid.

So my friends sister was taking Ritalin and I pointed out to my friend that if we do it, it should get us wired like a bag of speed. So we took it and low and behold it goes us zooted like a bag of mid-grade street speed without the hard come down. This was in the early to mid 90's when I hear the speed was stronger than it is now. I dont know how true that is since its been over 10 years since I have touched any uppers.

As a drug free adult now I would never give my children any mind altering substance or ADD drugs just more hobbies and things to do with them. I found when I was a young teen I spent alot of time on the streets and doing stupid stuff because my parents were always busy or gone. Alot holds true for my friends that I hung out with. Our parents were not bad people they were just busy professionals that left us to our own devices. I think if I had a strong male role model in my life as a teen I probably would not have taken or done alot of the things I did.

So anyways rant over. Yes I was a bad kid and yes drugs are bad including prescription drugs just a little cleaner. My view does tend to piss off alot of people but I base it on personal experience.

Yes I think this is a too much info post but here goes...

Comment

Zeeg ...
                            My son also has ADHD and was prescribed Straterra.

Your reaction to the drug is to be expected ...
                            You don't need the medication so it made you uneasy and somewhat hyper.

Your son however has this feeling WITHOUT the medication.
                            The medication has a reverse effect for people with your son's condition and actually calms them and helps them to stay focused.

I totally understand your concern ... been there, done that.
                            Please speak with your doctor about your concerns, but more importantly speak with your son about how the medication makes him feel both emotionally as well as physically.

Good luck bro.

Comment

Originally posted by AK47 View Post
                              Stratera is not approved by the FDA for treatment of ADHA or ADD or whatever they call it now but it is a FDA approved drug.

One thing I see is its non stimulant based.

I remember when I was a bad teenager that went to private school I figured out that the active ingredient in speed was methamphetamine which I noticed was an active ingredient in alot of ADD drugs that kids were taking. I was not on any meds as a kid.

So my friends sister was taking Ritalin and I pointed out to my friend that if we do it, it should get us wired like a bag of speed. So we took it and low and behold it goes us zooted like a bag of mid-grade street speed without the hard come down. This was in the early to mid 90's when I hear the speed was stronger than it is now. I dont know how true that is since its been over 10 years since I have touched any uppers.

As a drug free adult now I would never give my children any mind altering substance or ADD drugs just more hobbies and things to do with them. I found when I was a young teen I spent alot of time on the streets and doing stupid stuff because my parents were always busy or gone. Alot holds true for my friends that I hung out with. Our parents were not bad people they were just busy professionals that left us to our own devices. I think if I had a strong male role model in my life as a teen I probably would not have taken or done alot of the things I did.

So anyways rant over. Yes I was a bad kid and yes drugs are bad including prescription drugs just a little cleaner. My view does tend to piss off alot of people but I base it on personal experience.

Yes I think this is a too much info post but here goes...

I think some parents are quick to find a reason for their kids behavior that deflects blame from their lack of parenting, and some doctors are quick to prescribe drugs to children that don't need them.

That's not to say that drugs like these don't have their place, and aren't necessary or helpful in a lot of cases. And that's also not to say that all Doctors or Parents are like this, but it seems to be a growing trend. Parents need to be more involved with their kids lives and activities, because leaving teens to their own devices doesnt usually end up being a good idea.

-Steve
                              Last edited by UFORocks; 09-09-2008, 01:04 PM.
                              Guitars:
                              Amp:
                              VOX AD30VT

Comment

Working...
                              X