Who likes Between the Buried and Me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who likes Between the Buried and Me?

I just started getting into this band...I don't normally listen to that much death metal, but these guys mix some really interesting prog rock and jazzy bits into their songs. I'm listening to Colors and Anatomy Of right now.

Does anyone else like them?

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

I watched this. It was amazing 'till about 0:37. The vocals kicked in then I proceeded to drown it out with Therion. I can't stand those vocals! If it wasn't incomprehensible I would like it. What I mean is that the vocals are hard to understand. Take the band Wintersun, they do this type of vocals and I can under stand every word. It's a real shame because these types of bands have awesome everything else but the vocals just plain blow. If they had different vocals I'd be all over them.

That song "Colors" doesn't seem too bad. As stated before, the vocals ruin it. I like the direction they take that song though.

But, as always, it's all opinion. If you like it, that's good. The more stuff to listen to the better.
    "Dear Dr. Bill,
    I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

I agree with Ben. I'm fine with growls as long as they're dynamic. This guy just screams. Also, and I know this sounds silly, but they all have buzzcuts. That's just not death metal.
      Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
        I agree with Ben. I'm fine with growls as long as they're dynamic. This guy just screams. Also, and I know this sounds silly, but they all have buzzcuts. That's just not death metal.
        Nope, It's progressive hardcore. Boy I hate that screaming. He does sing well when he does sing, though. Guitarist's+keyboard player= damn good, thats why they got a tour with Dream Theater and Opeth.

Comment

Not at all. The vox completely suck and the writing/riffs are not nearly good enough to hold my interest. There's is plenty of bands with "crappy" vox with riffage that truly inspires my own creativity. That's what I look for in ANY band.
          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I do.

I pimped this band on this board years ago. No one liked them.

They're the best thing happening in Metal right now, PERIOD.
            You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
              Not at all. The vox completely suck and the writing/riffs are not nearly good enough to hold my interest. There's is plenty of bands with "crappy" vox with riffage that truly inspires my own creativity. That's what I look for in ANY band.
              So Horns, are you saying they suck? I think they are really talented musicians, so I don't really understand the "riffs are not nearly good enough" comment. I find the riffs of Between really intricate and dynamic...I can see people saying the vocals suck, but I'm confused...

Comment

I liked the intro part, but once the song started, the riffs were very generic for a progressive band.
                Scott

Comment

I saw them live on the Progressive Nation Tour with Dream Theater this past summer. The musicians are killer but I just can't handle the vocals. Thing is that the singer can actually sing well when he wants to and the guitar players are monsters! I couldn't handle the music overall though and used their set to get merch and go to the bathroom....

Comment

I completely agree with you on this, Bill. For many bands I listen to I seem to almost ignore the vocals. For example: The band Kalmah. The vocals are horrendous but the guitar and drums are amazing. They have a unique style of soloing that I just can't get enough of along with some strange, yet catchy riffs.
                    "Dear Dr. Bill,
                    I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

I find the musicianship stellar but I can't say what I've heard made me want to buy a CD. Didn't dislike it or anything, just didn't move me to the store.

Comment

IMHO, these guys are horrible. As musicians themselves, they are very talented... but as a band, theyre just another unremarkable progressive hardcore band. Horrid vocals 95% of the time, contant jumbled blast beats, a few "epic" breakdowns here and there. Booring, been done before, nothing new... hopefully these bands are only a trend that will fade away like Korn and such.
                        Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Originally posted by Ben... View Post
                          I completely agree with you on this, Bill. For many bands I listen to I seem to almost ignore the vocals. For example: The band Kalmah. The vocals are horrendous but the guitar and drums are amazing. They have a unique style of soloing that I just can't get enough of along with some strange, yet catchy riffs.
                          Ben, so what your saying is Beneath The Buried and Me..is they're Beneath Bill and Me..

They're are "noodly" which I like..but there is no musical cohesion..completely disjointed riffs with some typical metalcore douchnozzle shouting over it. They sound kinda like latter Meshuggah with down syndrome. But , I like it much better than 90's RAP or NU metal..that's not saying much.

I'm a metal elitist..I'm both spoiled and picky with what bands I like.
                          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Ben, so what your saying is Beneath The Buried and Me..is they're Beneath Bill and Me..

They're are "noodly" which I like..but there is no musical cohesion..completely disjointed riffs with some typical metalcore douchnozzle shouting over it. They sound kinda like latter Meshuggah with down syndrome. But , I like it much better than 90's RAP or NU metal..that's not saying much.

I'm a metal elitist..I'm both spoiled and picky with what bands I like.
                            Hello new quote being added to my sig.

Being a metal elitist is fun! We get to pick apart music we don't like and even if we do like it, we still manage to pick it apart somehow.

Haha, yes they are definitely beneath us.
                            "Dear Dr. Bill,

Comment

Well, Bill, I'm going to have to call you out here. The entire album is built up PERFECTLY, from start to end. There's an interview of those dudes where they go into it a little, the amount of musical cohesion is incredible. The way it starts in minor but then ends with the same scale but make it major with the very last delayed note on that haunting piano just further proves the point.

Anyway, everyone knows you KNOW a lot about metal, as in: categorization, names of players and good places to start looking for other bands if you like certain bands, but in the end it's pretty simple: you can't predict what other people will really like. This isn't a shot at you, you know I love you a lot, but BtBAM = AWESOME :p
                              You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Working...
                              X