Japanese Harley Davidson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Japanese Harley Davidson

A friend of mine is into HD's really heavy. He doesnt care about guitars, golf or anything except that motorcycle and all the places that it takes him. He couldn't believe this when I emailed it to him.

That stuff is pretty interesting. It would be cool to have a USA built one and a Japan built one of the same vintage for a side by side comparison, to see if the Japanese changed or improved anything.
    Scott
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Cool, I wonder if it leaked all all over the floor.

Comment

Yes thats part of HD history...

BTW, if it didn't leaked THEN you really had a problem. Two things made a perfect new HD from that time leak and that where that:

1) In that time the HD engines didn't use close loop oil system (I think something like that is how it's called), and tht meens that the oil didn't recirculate completly and it WAS suposed to leak.

2) Part of that oil actually drop down to the chain to keep it lubricated, so after you stop the bike a few more drops of oil went to the chain and then the floor.
        '87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
        '81 Kramer Pacer Standard
        custom made Les Paul
        VOX Tonelab LE
        Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!
        ADA MP1
        BBE 422A
        Lexicon MPX-G2
        ADA Microtube 100

AFFA
        Support Your Local 81

Comment

Automatic chain oiling? I think the real innovation was convincing people that sloppy manufacturing tolerances were an actual design feature!
          Just a guitar player...

Comment

From what I understand is that harley davidson was the 1st motorcycle to be manufactured in japan. Is that what you read?

Comment

No it's true, to keep the chain lubricated the oil from those engines HAD a system in it that with small drops from time to time, this finish when the Evo engine came out ('84) and they change latter to a belt that doen't need lubrication.
              '87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
              '81 Kramer Pacer Standard
              custom made Les Paul
              VOX Tonelab LE
              Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!
              ADA MP1
              BBE 422A
              Lexicon MPX-G2
              ADA Microtube 100

AFFA
              Support Your Local 81

Comment

I remember those old self oilers. Very messy. I guess it seemed like a good idea at the time though.
                Scott
                Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

yes the self lubing chain is true and iirc was used up into the amf years. When Harley went to the belt drive the purists didn't like the idea. funny enough the first harleys were in fact belt driven with a leather belt
                  Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

Working...
                  X