Text Messaging and Driving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Text Messaging and Driving

Holy crap. I just saw on the news that the train driver in Cali was texting while operating a train.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080919/...GLUc9ppixI2ocA

How many accidents have to happen and how many people have to die before we wake up? This is crazy.

You know, I hate f'n cell phones. Don't get me wrong. I have one, but anyone who knows me knows how much I despise even talking on one. For me, it is strictly a convenience thing in case of a car breakdown or emergency like that.

I had my text msg feature turned off by Verizon months ago because of spam and the stupid shit people felt the need to send me, just because they can.

I drive 26 miles each way to my job and the amount of people I witness with that little f'n piece of crap in their hands astounds me. As much as I hate the big brother thing, I believe that the use of these devices in vehicles AT ALL, should be banned unless pulled over or parked.

Sorry for the little rant and this IS NOT intended as any kind of personal attack on anyone here or their driving habits. Carry on.
    Scott
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

I see idiots texting while operating vehicles everday... and even machinery at work all the time. Texting is not my thing and I dont get the big buzz about it but doing it while driving is like doing a crossword puzzle and driving at the same time. Dumb.

I predict seeing a lot of fatal accidents....

Comment

If there was ever a post that I agree with 110%, this is it! Just like Scott, I hate cell phones with a passion. I've actually seen two women texting each other while sitting at the same table. I don't mean to step on any toes, but it's about as juvenile as it gets. And the bad thing is that "texting" carrys over into some people's conversation. When your date sees something and starts exclaiming "OMG, OMG," it's time to look for someone a little more mature.

My driving insurance is high enough as it is. I'd like to see a law passed in all 50 states making cell phone usage and texting illegal while a vehicle is moving.
      "POOP"

Comment

http://www.dailytech.com/Study+Texti...ticle13001.htm

What I never understood is why spend the time to text when you can call the person and just tell them what you want to say?
        Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
          http://www.dailytech.com/Study+Texti...ticle13001.htm

What I never understood is why spend the time to text when you can call the person and just tell them what you want to say?
          Agreed. I refuse to use text messaging. It's a PHONE - CALL me.

That being said, I can do just fine talking on the phone while driving because I prioritize driving ahead of the conversation.

Instead of ignoring things on the road, I end up ignoring parts of the conversation and saying "What?" a lot. Works out better than saying "g2g i just crashed LOL"

Comment

I cant stand it but I dont like laws against it.

Lets see how this effects your fourth ammendmant right.

Cop pulls you over to check you out by claiming you were on a cell phone, now its your word against his. He then can use this as a reason to look into your car if you deny at the scene of using or having a cell phone.

My question is can the police officer use this as probable cause to go through your vehicle since he saw you commiting a crime inside your vehicle and you would not admit to the officer you were using a cell phone because you did not have one.

Most officers have to just ask to search a car and get compliance since people are not aware of what their rights are at that moment.

I think people have insurance so if they get in an accident they pay and they are liable for being a idiot driver.

Do laws against drunk drivers keep people from driving drunk.

It turns into a money maker for local municipalities and a way for police to stop and check you out.

Some of us are so used to living in a police state that laws like these seem like great ideas till its you or your family that winds up getting screwed in the end.

Comment

AK47, are you saying you don't think there should be laws against texting while driving or using a handheld phone in a moving vehicle? If so, that is fine. It is your opinion. To me it seems dangerous and distracting.

A while back I was sitting at a red light at a moderately busy intersection. When my light turned green, I started moving forward. A woman, on a cell phone, coming from my right, ran HER red light and made a left in front of me. When I stopped and tooted the horn, she just looked at me like I was effin crazy and went about her business.

Now, had I not have been as alert a driver as I am, or if I was one of these jokers that hits the gas hard as soon as a light turns green, this could have resulted in me broadsiding her and then it would have come down to my word against hers with the police. You cannot count on witnesses to stop and wait for the police all the time. I have seen people drive right by serious accidents before the police got there like they didn't exist.
              Scott
              Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

I'll tell you what I'd like to see. Cell phones that will not recieve or transmit voice or text while inside a vehicle with the motor running, except for 911 calls. This would insure that cell phones could not be used at all while driving except for emergencies.

Maybe a bit extreme, but fuggit.:ROTF:
                Scott

Comment

I don't think the 4th Amendment applies.
                  The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.
                  The cop sees you on your phone, pulls you over, and you claim you weren't using the phone. I don't think it's unreasonable at all for him to search the car.

If he pulled you over for a seat belt violation or a speeding ticket and then wanted to search your car, then that's unreasonable and you can refuse the search.
                  Scott

Comment

Originally posted by AK47 View Post
                    I cant stand it but I dont like laws against it.
                    There's no need to be texting while you're driving. And as far as using a cell phone while driving, here in NJ, as well as other states, you need a hands-free device (either a bluetooth headset or some kind of station where you can have the phone connected to your dash or whatever and use the phone's speaker).
                    I no longer have a house phone, so my cell is my only means of communication. My job consists of me driving to different places throughout the state, so I stick my bluetooth headset in my ear, and I only use it if I'm stuck in traffic or lost and might not make it to my destination on time.
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                      There's no need to be texting while you're driving. And as far as using a cell phone while driving, here in NJ, as well as other states, you need a hands-free device (either a bluetooth headset or some kind of station where you can have the phone connected to your dash or whatever and use the phone's speaker).
                      I no longer have a house phone, so my cell is my only means of communication. My job consists of me driving to different places throughout the state, so I stick my bluetooth headset in my ear, and I only use it if I'm stuck in traffic or lost and might not make it to my destination on time.
                      +1. People say it's just as distracting, but that is BS imo. Guess by that logic people should not be allow to talk in there cars and be gagged the moment they get in. Pressing a button or two for bluetooth is no different in most cars than working the AC, wipers, or any other features. Also, I should add, WHY do people walk around with those things in their ears? It's THAT hard to pick your phone up and talk to it like a normal person?

Comment

I dumped my cell phone last year and I am loving it! No longer do people expect me to be available at every minute of the day.

Plus Vonage is a whole lot cheaper than the cell phone was. After taxes and fees it comes out to about $18 a month (I have the 500 minute plan; unlimited is $27 a month after taxes/fees).
                        Scott

Comment

Talking on a mobile without handsfree whilst driving is bad enough, but texting? Instant ban and prison sentence is applicable.
                          Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

I want lap dogs banned while driving...its against the law to talk on the cell phone while driving but people can have them little rat dogs all up on their lap ans shit...come to think of it...I want all lap dogs banned period.....lol
                            shawnlutz.com

Comment

It takes a special kind of retard to think that texting & driving mix well.

Comment

Working...
                              X