No announcement yet.

Scam or just a weird guy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I work for a bank and see these scam checks all the time.

You were very smart by just walking away and everyone here is correct. It definitely was a scam..

Just a word of advice here though and an FYI for anyone that might run into this in the future... I know you were thinking to keep the check until it "cashes", as you say. I'm not sure if the terminology you're using refers to the check CLEARING after being placed on hold but don't confuse a check being good with when a check "clears" to your account. They are two totally different things. Clearing a check mean that the bank is giving you access to the funds represented by that check, but makes no warranties that the funds are legitimate. After all, a check is just a piece of paper. A bank can only hold a check for so long depending on if the check is considered local or non-local and if there is an exception hold being placed on it. The longest holds including a non-local check with an exception hold will usually fall off after 11 days max, but a bad check can take as long as 13-15 days to get back to your bank account. By then, you've assumed that the check is good, shipped the merchandise and/or excess funds and you get a nasty surprise when it comes back returned and those funds are debited from your account.

These scammers know thier business and many of them will use legitimate account numbers to produce a fruadulent check from very remote banks/small banks.. To increase the time it takes for a bogus check to actually show itself.
    Last edited by WAR IN D; 09-20-2008, 09:24 PM.

Comment

WAR IN D is right. My bank tells me that to be absolutely sure you need to wait atleast 10 days and that doesn't include the 2 days till the funds actually hit my account.

If someone is going to pay by check, then tell them they will have to wait 10 business days till it clears. If they have a problem with that, then tell them to pay with a different form of payment.

As with ANY form of payment, take the necessary precautions to cover your ass. Assume nothing and take as little risk as possible.

Comment

Working...
      X