Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SITREP from Fort Benning

JCF Bros,

It's been a long time since I've been on this site, and before I left I wasn't exactly the most involved member. Hell, I registered on this site the week I shipped to basic training! However, I wanted to give you all an update as to my progress...

I graduated Infantry OSUT September 12th. I'm currently in Week 2 of Airborne School. I graduate Airborne October 3rd. From there, I head to the Ranger Indoctrination Program (RIP) where I will remain until near the end of November.

I was the Honor Graduate of my platoon in OSUT. So far in Airborne, I've been doing a good job of not screwing up, so that's always a plus. (feet and knees together...arch hard...that's all you have to do here. This school is a freaking joke...the PT is an absolute cakewalk. And people think Airborne is "elite"...yeah right)

I'll have more to say once I earn my wings, then onward to earn my place in the 75th Ranger Regiment.

Driving On,
    -DRM

Good work! Keep us posted.
    "Dear Dr. Bill,
    I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

Glad to here you are doing good.

Just so you know though, life in a airborne infantry unit is much harder than Airborne school. You aint seen shit yet. Keep up the good work. Keep your eyes open and your mouth shut and you'll do fine.

I would wish you good luck, but luck doesn't have anything to do with it.

I was 11H1P in 3/325 A.I.R. at Fort Bragg for 4 years.

Benning sucks balls in the summer time, but JRTC at Polk is even worse. I was there twice 30 days each in August both times.

Comment

Stay frosty.

Comment

DRM, thank you for your Service Sir!!!

A~
          All hail the 'King'
          R.I.P~ RLC

Comment

Yup, after basic and the hell you go through to get in shape for that, Airborne doesn't seem that bad.

Just wait till you get to RIP. It is an absolute breeze.....heheheh. I had a Ranger contract when I went in..... seen what they did.... seen that 99.9% of the graduating class were all about 5'6" to 5'9" and weighed about 160 lbs of pure muscle.....me at the time weighed 220 and 6 feet tall.... came to a realization the Rangers just weren't for me.

Big guys usually do not last in RIP. Their bodies and stamina burn out to fast. Doesn't make a difference if you can bench press a building, you need to be able to get in and out with the rest of the crew. No one is going to call time-out just to let the big guy catch his breath.

It just goes to prove how much heart and desire Pat Tillman had to make it as a Ranger with his size.... a hardcore fuckin' animal so to speak.-Lou
            " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

Comment

Originally posted by LouSiffer View Post
              Yup, after basic and the hell you go through to get in shape for that, Airborne doesn't seem that bad.

Just wait till you get to RIP. It is an absolute breeze.....heheheh. I had a Ranger contract when I went in..... seen what they did.... seen that 99.9% of the graduating class were all about 5'6" to 5'9" and weighed about 160 lbs of pure muscle.....me at the time weighed 220 and 6 feet tall.... came to a realization the Rangers just weren't for me.

Big guys usually do not last in RIP. Their bodies and stamina burn out to fast. Doesn't make a difference if you can bench press a building, you need to be able to get in and out with the rest of the crew. No one is going to call time-out just to let the big guy catch his breath.

It just goes to prove how much heart and desire Pat Tillman had to make it as a Ranger with his size.... a hardcore fuckin' animal so to speak.-Lou
              I'm 5'8", 165lbs.

"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog."

I also wear Pat Tillman's KIA bracelet. I never take it off. He was an outstanding person and I wish his story would be more well known.

Driving On,
              -DRM

Comment

Quick update...

So far, I've completed 3 of 5 jumps. My last two are tomorrow, one Hollywood during the day and our night Combat-load jump. Then I'm a paratrooper and it's off to RIP.

Driving On,
                -DRM

Comment

I graduated Airborne School yesterday morning and ran (literally) to RIP to inprocess. I've reported to the 75th ROC and am currently in RIP Pending until my class starts the 27th. We have until Monday at 2045 EST to be back.

Driving On,
                  -DRM

Comment

DRM..be safe, have fun, take care of biz, yourself and your platoon!!

Cheers!!
                    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

First... good to hear back from you.
                      Second... stay on course and doing well.
                      Third... thank you for your service!!

Don't be a stranger!!!
                      Mr. Patience.... ask for a free consultation.

Comment

Another week closer to earning my tan beret. We've had 31 quit since 3 Oct. I'm currently on a 4 day weekend. I passed my PT test last Tuesday and will begin RIP with my class on 27 Oct.

Rangers Lead the Way,
                        -DRM

Comment

Hey DRM,

When you enlisted did you have any prior ROTC experience or anything?
                          If I ever enlisted I wanted to go Airborne.
                          Just curious as I am still young and eligible for the ARMY. I wanted to do something in Combat Arms my whole life without going to the Marine Corps. If I ever get back to 100% health soon I would really look into it for myself.

Comment

Originally posted by AK47 View Post
                            Hey DRM,

When you enlisted did you have any prior ROTC experience or anything?
                            If I ever enlisted I wanted to go Airborne.
                            Just curious as I am still young and eligible for the ARMY. I wanted to do something in Combat Arms my whole life without going to the Marine Corps. If I ever get back to 100% health soon I would really look into it for myself.
                            Yes, I had 4 years of JROTC. But none of that means crap when you get off the bus at Benning...everyone's a cherry Private.

If you want to go combat arms, sign an 11x/Option 40 contract. Being a Ranger isn't for everyone, but give it a shot. The 75th takes great care of its personnel and you'll do all the high-speed crap that everyone wishes they did in their leg unit.

Just my .02.

Whatever you choose to do, make sure it's what YOU want, though. Don't let people persuade you one way or the other...if you don't sign what you want, you're going to be miserable. Trust me...get what you want and nothing else.

You can have a Ranger/Airborne contract without signing Infantry. If you take the Ranger Option 40, you can be a medic, RTO, forward observer, all sorts of MOS' but still kick doors open with us 11B's. And you can have Airborne slapped onto almost every MOS...it's known as Option 4, make sure to get it when you enlist. It's the easiest school in the Army and is F-in fun, too.

Comment

Another update:

After class 12-08 graduates Friday, my class is moving into the RIP barracks to get ready to begin the following Monday. We're going to start around 130 students, predicted to graduate 70 or so.

Rangers Lead the Way,
                              -DRM

Comment

Working...
                              X