Need help from PC gurus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help from PC gurus

I haven't been keeping up with Intel's processors. I knew all the Pentiums but the new stuff isn't clear to me, and I need to rebuild my desktop since it seems my mobo has taken a cyanide pill.

The dead box had a P4 in it, but now all I see are Core 2 Duos and QuadCores and the like. I know the Celeron has been renamed the Centrino/Centrino Duo (in my laptop), but as with the Smeleron, it cannot do what I need it to do.

So, I'm getting a whole new barebones system, preferably all factory-fresh (no refurbs or salvages), but I need to know the real-world differences between the processors.

I would assume the QuadCore is better than the Core 2 Duo, but is it only better if I'm running my own server or will it run actual applications such as Audition, BFD, and 3D apps faster/better as well?

What's everyone else running?

Please don't suggest a Mac. I'd love one, but 98% of the stuff I have and use regularly will cost me over $4000 to replace with Mac versions.

Also, I'm not really convinced AMD have all their compatability issues worked out, so it's Intel or nothing for me.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

I run a dual core E2180 (2.0 GHz) and it is plenty fast, plus if I want I can OC it to 3GHz without a problem.

If you want the best high-performance model for the price, the E8400 is probably the best unless something new has come out recently. A decent middle-ground between the E8400 and what I have would be something like an E6750.

The Q6600 is your best bet if you want to go quad-core, the others are stupid expensive. That will only be worth doing if your applications are written to take advantage of the extra cores. I don't know much about the ones you mentioned so that's something to look up yourself.

Comment

With quadcore being relatively new, I doubt I have anything that can work with them. Poser was never updated to work with dual processors, so I doubt 4 will see much action

However, if I could assign an application to each core separately......and then I woke up

What are these cubes I'm seeing? http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...6352&CatId=333
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

They're mainly made for LAN-party nerds and people who want to use a PC as a Home Theater device.

I considered building one myself but went with a normal tower instead. The idea of having limited space for drives, having to use special power supplies and motherboards, having limited choice of graphics cards, most CPU heatsinks don't fit, etc. make those things a big pain in the ass.

Unless you know exactly what you want and don't plan to upgrade or overclock or anything, just get a normal tower.

Comment

Good advice, 6750 here, got it just before the 8400's came out. I suggest looking if the software supports quads, alot does by the way, and if so get the q6600, if not, 8400. If you can stretch a little while longer the new intel chip isn't too far off (nehalem or something, core i7). That could be an expensive option though, stick with ddr2 memory (its cheap as at the moment) and load up all those bfd samples!

Comment

Newc,

As far as quad core vs. dual core goes, the quad core really only comes in handy if you are running high-end apps like 3-D rendering tools, CAD and the such. What you really need to pay attention is speed obviously, as well as L1 and L2 Cache and FSB.

If you are wanting to stick with Intel, I would recommend using the Core 2 Duo 7200 Wolf Dale. It is a 2.53 GHz processeor with 3MB Cache and a 1066MHZ FSB. Of course, you will need the MoBo to match.

If you have the extra $$ go with the E8400 which has 3.0GHz, a 6MB Cache and running a 1333MHz FSB.

The problem with a lot of PC components is that people do not match the ability of one component to the other, therefore, resulting in "bottlenecking".

Alot of people talk overclocking, which I do not understand the big deal with. If you wanted your parts to perform at a specific level, you should have spent more to get the higher end parts in the first place. Keep in mind, I am also the same type of person that will dump 10-15K on a car engine to perform beyond the manufacturer specs....go figure.

Here is my current rig and I have never wanted or needed anything else at this point. I have run Crysis at full tilt with no issues and can run any recording software out there with no issues:

MoBo: XFX 750A
            CPU: AMD 64X2 5000 ( 2.6 GHz )
            OCZ Reaper 2GB dual channel memory running at 1066MHz ( 533MHZ on each channel )
            2 NVIDIA G-Force 9500GT's running in SLI
            SoundBlaster Audigy Pro
            Tractor, Rason 3.0, Cake Walk, Cool Edit Pro all run flawlessly and better than they ever have.
            Windows XP Pro with SP3

Nothing is overclocked. With the dual fan CPU cooler, I usually run about 105-110degrees F.-Lou
            " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

Comment

Thanks. The place I used to buy from had an online configurator that would only show matching components - pick a cpu and it would show all the boards they had/could get that worked with it, followed by the ram that matched, and the case it would fit in. Likewise, if you started with the case it would show only the boards that fit that case, then the cpus that would match up to the board, etc.

That really took a lot of work out of building a system, but now all they have are pulls and no online configurator.

TigerDirect looks like they have some nice things, though the designer cases with the windows and neon pipes are adding more to the price, I'm sure.

Saw a Dell in WalMart the other day for $999 and figured for the same money I could build one 10x better - like this: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...2527&CatId=333

A bit more than I'm looking to spend right now. I've got plenty of external drives - 2 1TB Seagates plus a couple of 250GB and 320GB WDs - and I already have an XP CD. Then I've got my Audigy Platinum Pro. So all I really need is a new cpu, mobo, case, power supply, and ram.

But, with many of the ready-mades and even these newer barebones, they're being tailored around one of 4 possibilities: gaming, home theater, business, or a/v. When I built my last 3 systems, I tried to build them to handle both intense gaming (considering the time) and multimedia, not just one or the other.

But then I suppose the biggest "gaming" aspect would be the video card. Everything can use the same cpu, ram, and video card, I guess.
              I do all my gaming on the 360 these days, but it would be nice to have a system that can run G-Police off the disc as smoothly as the demo ran off the hard drive
              In 10 years and 4 systems, nothing will

Comment

Whaddaya think about these?

Comment

Read the reviews on those components. People are saying the motherboard will die quick on that first one.

Comment

Newc, send me a message of what you are able/willing to spend. What you need/don't need and what you currently have that can be saved. I will put something together.-Lou
                    " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

Comment

The barebones kits always seem to compromise somewhere. Just getting the individual components that you actually want is usually a better bet. Just take your time and read a lot of reviews. Newegg is a good source for stuff like that as well.

Comment

Here is what I would go with to keep you current for 2-3 years and not trying not to go too overboard:

MoBo: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...075&CatId=2541

CPU: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...211&CatId=2396

RAM: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...412&CatId=2531

Hard Drive: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...126&CatId=2459

Case & PSU: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...391&CatId=1846

Video Card: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...250&CatId=1826

Assuming you can reuse your CD drives, this will cost $679.00 before the $50.00 MIR. You will have a decent system for a few years, it will handle all your music and any gaming needs and its not too bad on price.

If this is more than what you wanted to get into, let me know, I can reconfigure something else.

Also, with SATA hard drives, if you are using Windows XP with SP1, you will need to download the drivers from the HD maker and put onto a floppy and install that during your Windows install. SP1 does not understand SATA.-Lou

Comment

Tiger Direct is epic fail IMO with very inflated prices.
                          It would be lame for me to come in and shoot down ideas without backing it all up with competition, but I just don't have the time to put into it right now.
                          So I'll spit out a few opinions...

First suggestion would be Newegg.com, unfortunate you're in Tenn and they have footprint there so tax sucks, but then TD will also charge you tax and shipping as well
                          There is also Directron.com, zipzoomfly.com and frys.com
                          Shopping around and craftiness, you could build system with same parts for probably 20-30% less. It's all about no tax, free ship, and who's got the sale.

A few comparisons

CPU at TD $180+ ??
                          http://shop3.frys.com/product/5594710 e8500 for $150 (yeah, sold out few days ago, can't even get close to that deal)

http://www.antaresdigital.com/custom...cat=419&page=1 e8400 $157

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...tCode=10007603 $169 no tax/free ship

680i chipset motherboard? for $120? way dated and year+ old
                          stick with intel chipsets...
                          Motherboards are the most crucial choice. This is the hardest to pick from.
                          I'd have to think about this a while to even begin to narrow it down.
                          And I'd avoid SLI boards. It's an enthusiast feature targeting gamer who must have 2 cards. I'd rather pay for a quality single PCI-e based board.

DDR2 ram should run more like $25 for 2GB

8600 GT video card? very dated, especially looking forward
                          This really depends on what rez you run on your monitor as well.

Hard drive, I'd only suggest a WD 640GB. best performance for ~$10 more. Fuck seagate lol. However you mentioned you had several drives?
                          Are they IDE or SATA? IDE is trouble since most current motherboards (may) only support 2 at the most (internally).

Don't know the case/power supply apevia, aside from seeing there name.
                          But I wouldn't buy it.

DVD, to recycle or not... SATA or IDE. I'd just make it simple and get a new SATA drive ~$25

This is harder than I thought. I'm up to date on the current hardware evolution, but have slightly older influence from last year's build.
                          Then it was 800MHz ram. Not sure about the 1066. Multipliers are changing/Bus speed has increased.

Haven't heard about SP1 with SATA. MY XP is pre-SP1 so I've never had any trouble installing fresh. I can't imagine why, all google results are from 2004 era lol
                          You sure this isn't specific to nforce chipsets? Intel FTW.

/ramble
                          Last edited by audiophile; 09-27-2008, 06:02 PM.

Comment

People always recommend NewEgg....I really don't know why. I have never bought anything from there that the price was any different than TD.

I chose the 680i board, not because it is SLI, but, because it is an EVGA board. Asus, MSI, PC Chips are all junk in my experience.

I could have went over board and designed a system with stuff more ahead of the curve, but, I was trying to keep the price reasonable, hence, no 790i boards and 3 graphics cards. No DDR3 memory.-Lou

Comment

Prices are similar but Newegg has a way better site interface and there are more/better reviews available right on each product page.

I can't stand looking at TD's site.

Comment

Working...
                              X