Painters - HVLP questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painters - HVLP questions.

Well, I got tired of using rattlecans. I bought an HVLP spray gun, but I need some help. There is an autobody/paint supply place up the street, but I need to know what I'm looking for in terms of paint. Is all automotive paint 2-part, or are there different kinds? Is there a specific type that is best for guitars? Same question for clearcoat. I want a nice hard finish. I'm building myself a little spray booth with a filter and extractor fan, plus, I'll be wearing a respirator too, so I've got that covered. I just need some tips and advice on the paint.
    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Originally posted by zeegler View Post
    Well, I got tired of using rattlecans. I bought an HVLP spray gun, but I need some help. There is an autobody/paint supply place up the street, but I need to know what I'm looking for in terms of paint. Is all automotive paint 2-part, or are there different kinds? Is there a specific type that is best for guitars? Same question for clearcoat. I want a nice hard finish. I'm building myself a little spray booth with a filter and extractor fan, plus, I'll be wearing a respirator too, so I've got that covered. I just need some tips and advice on the paint.
    I have nothing useful to answer your question. I am responding so that when someone posts the info, please make this a sticky! This would be great information to have around and easy to find
    In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

Comment

Like Painting for Dummies, or somthing like that?

Yeah, I think that's a great idea. I know there's a good number of bros who paint. Hell we've even got Mike Learn here, so we have a good knowledge base.
      Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Zeegs,

There are different paints and the two most common are lacquer and base coat/clear coat.

When it comes to painting a guitar black, nothing beats lacquer IMHO. When done right, it looks like you can reach into the paint with your fingers and swirl it around like water. However, it is alot of hard work to get this result... Spray 2 coats, wetsand out all the orange peal, spray 2 more and wetsand some more....until you get about 12 coats on it. Plus, acquer is prone to chipping fairly easily.

Base coat/clear coat is probably more common, easier to apply and more durable. Its a simple procedure: Seal, Primer, spray, wetsand, clear, buff and done. The thing with this system is that you do not have to be as meticulous with the sanding as lacquer since the clear helps fill in the minor spots.

You will usually get your clear and paint together from the same brand( PPG, HOK, etc )-Lou
        " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler View Post
          Like Painting for Dummies, or somthing like that?

Yeah, I think that's a great idea. I know there's a good number of bros who paint. Hell we've even got Mike Learn here, so we have a good knowledge base.

Mike learn has several DVDs that he made and sells but I think most are airbrush techniques. I know he has or at least talked about doing one for painting guitars. Shoot him a PM and ask him if he has what you are looking for.

Comment

Working...
          X